iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaking cistern

Started by Qweaver, September 24, 2009, 10:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I had a new concrete cistern installed yesterday.  I filled it about 3/4 full and it is leaking badly.  The water level dropped about 2" overnight.  Two friends that have been in the water well and septic system business for over 30 years did the install.  They are out on another job and out of cell phone range so I can not ask them about this until this evening.  They did not mention leaking problems so I did not think about it.  They did not back fill around the tank because I needed to do the plumbing and I was going to backfill myself and we discovered the leaks this morning.  I did backfill about half of the hole but I can dig it backout fairly easily. Anyone else have this problem?  What are the options? 
Thanks for any suggestions.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Chuck White

I can't recall the name of the product, but there is a company advertised on tv that claims they're 100% successful in repairing leaking basement walls & floors.
This might be a good avenue to explore.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quinton
Did they test it for leaks before putting it in?

What do they use for a cistern? I'm thinking maybe the same thing as the septic tank.

How large is it, and what does 2" of leakage calculate to in gallons?

I'm wondering if concrete will absorb that amount of water, and then slow down. ?? ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

was there visible signs of leakage?   you said there is plumbing not hooked up, could there be some problems at some fittings?   there are some grout materials that can be used to repair old cisterns leaking, I would assume that it would work for NEW ones to, if you want that direction. 
good luck
mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Banjo picker

New concrete tanks sometimes have small holes made in them at the bottom to keep them from filling up with water while they are in storage....when installed there is a small plastic plug that you are supposed to put in the hole to stop it up before you fill it....I installed one once that had not been pluged and it leaked badly....I had to get the plug and find the hole and plug it....Don't know if that is your case or not...but it might be worth checking out...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

Seems there would be a drain in it anyway.
But the plug makes sense too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Qweaver

Well, my friends came to check out the leaks and are convinced that they use a painted on sealing material that will take care of the problem.  So we are going to try that.  It's a fair amount of work to empty the tank and get down into the take to paint but we'd need to do the same thing with another new tank anyway. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!