iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing pine again today

Started by Tom, September 12, 2003, 06:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I am sawing pine from a house site.  Some of it is Slash and saws pretty good.  Some of it is Pond Pine and comes off of the mill like a piece of spaghetti.  We've been chasing it all day. One 2X4 almost got away but the young fellow that was with us caught it at the gate.

ohsoloco

Tom, you must've really been workin'em, none of 'em look too happy to be there  :D   Thing is, they're not sweatin much  :-/

Tom

We were all pretty tired but this bunch is a lot of fun.  The fellow on the right builds and repairs Horse-drawn carriages and wagons. He's a lot of fun to be around and never shuts his mouth.  The fellow on the left wants a sawmill because he thinks I lead the life he would like to lead.  The boy in middle is the one on the rights Grandson.  He is learning to not be a city boy. :D

The fellow on the left and I started work today about 3pm and the others showed up about 3:30.  We sawed till 6:30, took two 20 or 30 minute breaks and drank cokes and ate crackers that the fellow on the left brought.

Going back tomorrow to finish up.  We're going to meet for breakfast first so we probably won't get started till 8:30 or 9.  If they don't cut down anymore trees then we might finish by noon.  Hmmmm.   Then we could go get lunch.

These are great guys to be around. Nobody ever gets in a hurry, takes anything too seriously or refuses to take a break. :D

pappy

Tom,

I like the hours you guys keep, To work by 3:00 pm done by 6:30 pm. Next mornin' coffee then maybe a tour of the property, look at a couple more trees and back to the saw by 3:00 pm. Work when we have to and enjoy every minute in between!! ;D

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

ohsoloco

Sounds like a great bunch of guys to be sawing with  :)

Tom

I'm real lucky to have 5 counties full of customers like these.  Sawing is really fun if you don't make too much of a job out of it. :)

chet

Tom I love yer "piece of spaghetti" comment. I had a customer ask me a couple weeks ago how come some of my boards looked like water skis. She thought I was just getting tired and couldn't cut straight.  ???
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

Cripes! I musta showed up at the wrong time 'cause as I remember it, when I worked for Tom, it was 97 degrees and no shade (all the DanG trees had been cut down) and 100% humidity.  Tom worked me like a dog....did you hear me? I say like a dog..... from 7 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon. No breaks that I remember except to get some water that was so cold that it gave me a headache to drink it. Oh.....we did get 15 minutes for lunch.......sitting on the bucket of a frontend loader in the sun. ::)  He didn't feed me much either. I axed him if there was anything else to eat and Tom replied; "Nope, ya eat too much ya won't want to work." ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

Tom you are a very lucky man to have what you have and enjoy doing what you do :) I always enjoy seeing the different pics of what you do from job to job :)

Maybe a "Tom's jobs" thread would fit right in here on the forum :)

Steve

Tom

Charlie,
You little whipper snapper.  That story gets worse every time you tell it. :D  

Bizie,  I just enjoy showing off my customers and the varied spots I end up. Sometimes things get rather mundane and I don't take pictures or take notes.  That's when it gets to be a job.  When things are like they are now, I really enjoy sawing logs.

It helps when there are so many good people.  I develop a real sense of community.

Kevin_H.

Tom,
I was reading charlies post thinking it was going to end up
" offbearing up hill, bolth ways, barefooted, in a foot of snow"

Kinda reminds me off all the stories I've heard about my dad haf'n to walk to school ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Papa Dave

Well, it is most likely because of all the hard work Charlie did that is allowing Tom to have such a life of leisure now. ;D

I must admit, I sure wish I had Tom's eating schedule.  Pass the grits, please!!! ;)

Thank You Sponsors!