iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husq. 288 xp lite brake questions

Started by tmroper, September 23, 2009, 12:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmroper

I have a couple of questions on the above mentioned saw.
1. It seems to want to leak bar oil.  Are the saw prone to that and any advice on finding the leak.
2. I am not sure of the correct part name but when you pull the side off the saw which has the brake handle attached and the flat piece of spring steel which goes over the chain brake you can barely put the side back on it is so tight on the brake and it also makes it very hard to crank.  Is there any way to adjust this. 

Thank you and I apologize in advance if this info has already been posted I am not the most savvy on the computer.

Heywood

You have probably removed the side plate with the brake in the engaged position.  This is a little booby trap built into the saw which many others have discovered.  Your Husky dealer has a tool to reset the brake so the side plate will go on easily.  You don't want to further disassemble the side plate because there is a very strong spring that will probably pop out at  you.  That spring is very difficult to replace.  I, like many others, have done that, but I did put the spring back in and then reset brake without having to go to a dealer and without their tool. 
The alternative is to remove the spring and replace the side plate and use the saw without the inertial chain brake.
Your dealer, unless you purchased the saw at a hardware store, should have mentioned that and probably showed you how to replace a chain.
P.S. I've used chainsaws for years without chain brakes and I for one don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Opinions differ.

tmroper

Is there a way to adjust the spring or brake so that it will work correctly

Heywood

Once the brake is tripped when off the saw, there isn't any way that I know of to adjust it except reset it.  You will notice that the side plate with the handle moves a three armed gear that must be moved clockwise ( top to the rear of the saw) to reset it and it is under quite a bit of tension from the spring.  The engineer who designed it did not provide for adjustment of spring travel, and there are no real purchase points to compress the spring once it is off the saw to reinstall it.  That said, there is no way to adjust the spring.
With the spring still in position, the problem is to reset the brake so it latches and can be reinstalled.  I can do this (probably because I spent thirty years working mostly on a product line we nicknamed "spring loaded monsters".  mechanical calculating machines.)  Your best bet would be to have a dealer do it for you with his tool that fits that three pronged gear. You can probably judge what kind of dealer you have by how much he charges you.
Hope I don't sound too confusing or critical of the chain brake, but maybe someone else has some thoughts about this. 
If the bar is not completely seated against the inside plate, the oil hole will allow the bar oil to get all over instead of just on the bar.

tmroper

Thanks Heywood I appreciate all of your help

It looks like the bar oil is leaking in the center of the bar oil tank if this makes sense it comes apart in two halves and seems to be leaking on the front.  Is there a gasket here?

I got the brake unseized and the saw running for short intervals and then it will shut off.  I am going to check out the fuel line and see if this is the culprit.  Any suggestions to check for?
Thanks

Heywood

I wish I could be of more help, but perhaps someone more familiar with that model could step in here. 
I may have misunderstood your original problem with the chain brake since you seem to have got it back on already?  I've never seen the tool dealers speak of when they say they have one, but most chainsaw users have a tool in their toolkit that can easily reset the the brake with only a minor modification.
As for the oil leak, I can't be of much help with that, and the saw starting and then shutting off would seem to be another problem?

tmroper

Hopefully someone might have some experience with this saw.

rebocardo

Make sure you have an OEM cover, I purchased an aftermarket 272 cover and the tension spring was WAY too tight. I ended up buying an new OEM Husky assembly and the difference was very noticable.

stumpy

How do you like that saw.  I bought one a year ago and asked around for opinions.  Nobody seems to have heard of it before.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

rebocardo

The only thing I did not like about the 272 was the tensioner for the chain (was front instead of side) and sprocket location. Especially since I change chains so often while working, it was a real pain for me.

Thank You Sponsors!