iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm OK on September 11, 2003

Started by CHARLIE, September 12, 2003, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I have a friend whom I used to work with at IBM. He's my age, late 50's, and a member of the National Guard. He's been serving in Iraq since the very beginning of the war. He's in a support position but has been in the front area a few times and is still enduring all the heat and other unpleasantness. We, his friends, just received this e-mail from him on the 11th.  While I will let him remain anonymous, I thought y'all might like to read it.
============================================

I am OK being away from my family and home on this day, September 11, 2003. I believe I am helping fight the good fight. I believe we are trying to stop those who support or have supported terrorism. My beliefs have to be true or the hundreds of Americans who have died and the thousand plus more who have been injured would have been in vain. This surely is how the families of those lost and injured soldiers find peace? I cannot find the words to properly express the way I feel about American soldiers who put themselves in harms way to protect and defend our way of life. Many soldiers endure primitive conditions daily. Outdoor toilets, no A.C., washing clothes in a bucket, unimaginable heat and dust and the beloved MRE. These are volunteer soldiers. We all volunteered. The draft is behind us. What is it that inspires Americans to join an organization that may take them to this kind of a place? I would like to ask all of them. Now it appears that most will be extended for a "few months longer". The best response I can give is Ufdah! This is not intended to be a self-serving statement. It is not meant to be about me. Other than during the war when we endured 40 odd scud missile "alerts", I have not been in harms way nor afraid. I think I have better living conditions than many. I just feel so strongly about the dedication of American soldiers that I am compelled to write my thoughts.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

Thanks for the post from your buddy Charlie. Patty and I spent a somber evening last nite. We watched about ten minutes of network news, turned the TV off and listened to an Enya tune that was played at the first anniversary of 9-11. We did take the time to tell CBS what we thought of showing terrorist rejoicing in the moment of September 11th's tragedy.

No I have never condoned any of our wars, Viet Nam or Somalia for example. But if we don't stand up and defend the rights of people that are oppressed who will.

Maybe if we only understood them, yea right........

Paul_H

I remember that day well,and doubt that I will ever forget it as long as I live.I was having a heated discussion with my wife and felt a bit put out.

She yelled to me a half hour later to come and see what was happening.I hardly moved from the TV all day hoping to somehow hear that it wasn't real.Did a lot of praying.

Don't remember what me and my wife were fighting about,and felt ashamed for taking myself to seriously.

Thanks Charlie
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

oldsaw

Was kind of strange when I figured it out.  Two years to the hour, I was standing in the exact same place.

Our "boys and girls" have themselves a dirty job to do, and I for one am very thankful to them for doing it.  The value of it all certainly hit home with me this week.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

David_c

i remeber that day well i turned on the tv they were showing the world trade center getting hit canged channel it was on every channel i realize its real i just could'nt believe it tell your freind THANK YOU from everyone here and hope he returns safely and i honestly believe he is fighting the good fight.

breederman

I also remember where I was, I drove home to be with my wife,with a sick feeling in my stomach that our lives had changed forever. I still think that most people around the world are just like us,living their lives and providing for their families.However there are some who hate us for who we are and what we stand for.We all owe a huge debt to people like
Charlies friend,please pass along our thanks and tell him our prayers are with him.

Together we got this !

EZ

So many things to say about the Sept.11, but all I will say now is I thank all are brave men and women.
EZ

Patty

Some days are etched into our minds forever. I will never forget when we were attacked two short years ago. Norm & I were sawing in the sawshed, when our boys called. The first said, go home and watch the news, we are being attacked. The second one called to saw he was on alert, but wouldn't be called into this situation because he was still in training. Norm and I ran home and proceeded to watch the horror unfolding in front of our eyes. :'( I still cannot express in words what I felt....how could someone be so filled with hate that they would want all those innocent people dead. Then it hit me, that they will not stop until either we are all dead, or they are. It is that horrible conclusion that keeps me up at night.
Your friend is a hero, as are all those fighting for us. I pray for them all the time....
I never thought I was a religious person, much, until this all hit two years ago. Now I pray daily for our country and those who defend us. God speed.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Kevin_H.

On that day my wife and I were on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. The mood on the entire ship instantly changed.

I can remember talking to our fellow shipmates while sitting around the dinning table, We talked of all the hero's that where lost that day and of all those who stood up to become heros.

We also talked of all the emergency personnel, who after doing their job and see the disaster first hand, would no longer be able deal with the stress, and would have to leave a job the loved.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Sawyerfortyish

I will always remember where I was and what I was doing when it happend. Kind of like my mom and dad always telling me about where and what they were doing when JFK died.Some things you will never forget.My hats off to the men and women in the service that drop there everyday life to go all the way around the world and defend freedom.

Thank You Sponsors!