iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Top

Started by Puffergas, September 22, 2009, 09:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

Thought some might get a kick out of this.

The Big Top was a temporary roof over the mill. It was taken down after three years. By then it was tired. It would shake off dry snow. Wet snow would collect and have to be removed by poking it with a broom. Broom end toward canvas. The 1 x 3 or 4 was the secret to its stability.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Tom

That has to be one of the most ingenious roofs I've seen on the forum in many years.

Onthesauk

Ketchikan folks refer to those blue tarps as the state flag of Alaska.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

customdave

Hey man if it works what the hay, pretty cheap roof for 3yrs. If I don't started on my mill shed soon I may try that.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

bandmiller2

If your roof is flapen they aint taxen.Lets in defused light and keeps the rain off.Did you build your mill??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KyTreeFarmer

Nice shed! Maybe you could start a portable shelter business on the side>

Mike
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Puffergas

Hi Frank,

That one is a home made mill. Right now I have a Burg with that same home made frame and log turner under it. Just didn't have the time to rebuild my old home made mill. It was on the tired side.

Jeff
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

fishpharmer

Puffergas, I just love those white band wheel saws ;)

Very effective shelter.  I might take that approach soon.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Puffergas

Fishpharmer, If yah do let us know how it turns out.

One thing that I just remembered; look at the very top rope, it likes to chafe (wear) the canvas at both ends. Maybe the first four feet at both ends. Some duct tape wrapped around the rope in this area might help or run the rope through some kind of plastic pipe or don't worry about it.

Duct tape also works good to patch the canvas.

I've thought about using a boat winch at one end to lower the Big Top down when not sawing but never tried it.

Jeff
Jeff

MotorSeven

Jeff, you got 3 years out of  a blue tarp??? Outstanding!

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Magicman

I still see blue tarps on houses from Katrina.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

My better looking half wasn't real enthused about blue "big top' in front yard.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Puffergas

Quote from: fishpharmer on October 02, 2009, 11:21:15 PM

They also make them in orange, green and silver.   :)

RD, it was close to three years. Over two years for sure. Finally had to cut it down because after all it went through I couldn't bear to see it get flattened. It was like a steam engine ... almost alive.

Jeff 
Jeff

SwampDonkey

I know one fellow personally, we call him the over night $millionaire. His house roof is a blue tarp instead of shingles or steel. And in his yard sits $1M worth of forestry equipment.   :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

Quote from: fishpharmer on October 02, 2009, 11:21:15 PM

Get a camouflage one and than she wouldn't be able to see it. ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Bruce

fishpharmer

Puffergas and Submarinesailor I like the idea of another color, I think I will try camoflage and see if she notices. ;)  All this rain is getting old.

Brucer

A few years ago, just the other side of the mountain, someone set up a small four-poster with a similar "roof". He just had a pair of posts at each end in an A-frame arrangement. Ran a 3/4" wire rope from a tree, over the A-frames, and then to the winch on his ancient dozer. A little bit of tension on the winch, and up went the tarp.

I always figured it was a temporary measure, but it sat like that for 4 years. Then one day the "roof" was gone. Turns out a logging truck got stuck in the spring muck while delivering a load, so he hopped on the dozer and headed out to tow the guy. He forgot what was attached to what :(.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!