iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame raised! updated Dec 8. Baby is here! among other goings on...

Started by bigshow, September 21, 2009, 11:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshow

In the foreground you can see my first timberframing project - sawhorses.  You can quite clearly make out the second in the background.

Wall SIPs are on!  as always...more detail on my blog....
I never try anything, I just do it.

beenthere

Well done.
Looks great.

Are they all framers in the pic, or some 'helpers' ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Very impressive.

I looked at your blog.  Interesting combination of timberframing and metal 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Rooster

Looks great!!

How did you get the Black Lab to hold up the middle of that beam?  eh?

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bigshow

Beenthere,

In this pic...there are two professional framers from Northern Lights Timberframing that I had come down to orchestrate the raising.  Otherwise, my wife and I cut the frame.

Stephen1

very nice, always great to see some pics. Keep us updated.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

Is the frame to be your home? Or?  Fill us in on some details if possible.  Looks nice.  Must be one of those log dogs I hear about in the Sawing/milling board.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

witterbound

Nice looking frame.  I met Lefty when I was up at Northern Lights taking a course.  Nice guy. 

Doug_D

WOW!  Nice job, but your missing one thing in the picture after a job like that.....cold ones  smiley_beertoast
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Raphael

Awesome!!!
Looks really good.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

bigshow

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 23, 2009, 02:08:35 AM
Is the frame to be your home? Or?  Fill us in on some details if possible.  Looks nice.  Must be one of those log dogs I hear about in the Sawing/milling board.

Yup, this will be our house...In the picture you can see one of two log dogs: Bob.  Wally (the other log dog) must be scaring up game at that point.  Details...hmmm...I think if you skim thru my blog you'll get the gist of it.  I dont really have a floor plan on the blog I dont think.  But I designed the frame, my wife did the floorplan, and we cut the frame.  I started out learning log construction, but I had to go back to my first love....timberframing.  I took a couple courses (Grand Marais Folk School Timberframing Class, and Timberframe sawhorese trestles), started asking questions here, TFGuild, and got to know the nearest local professional timberframers, went to a TFGuild conference....just absorbed as much info as I could for a couple years.  Its been awesome..and the Mrs wants to definitely cut another one....

fishpharmer

Bigshow, It looks great.  How many square feet of floor space are you planning on? 

Just try to get a perspective on the size.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Brad_bb

Your wife is that into cutting a frame?  Man, that would be awesome, but I think the chances of me finding a girl like that in the Chicagoland area is a real longshot.  They're all obsessed with life in the city :-\
Didn't see your blog link, but now I'll check it out.  Cheers.

bigshow

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 23, 2009, 04:58:53 PM
Bigshow, It looks great.  How many square feet of floor space are you planning on? 

Just try to get a perspective on the size.

Main level is ~1300 sq ft + a mud/laundry room
2nd/loft is ~ 700

roof peak is ~24' tall

The longest wall of the house is 42'.  Which we raised in one piece..it was awesome.  The NLTF guys made it go real slick.

Alexis

nice job!

how long did it took to cut the frame?

Alexis

bigshow

Quote from: Alexis on September 24, 2009, 01:57:42 PM
nice job!

how long did it took to cut the frame?

Alexis

Alexis,

This is roughly the time frame:
June 2008-Nov 2008 to cut most of the major posts, beams, and rafter members.
I took Nov and Dec off b/c i work an office job during the day - and that messes with your back.  So, I took off two months to rehab 2 ruptured discs - trust me, its not from timberframing.  Labor and activity only do great things to your back as long as you keep your outriggers out and your back straight ;)

Anyways - So, in January I worked only on kneebraces.  In March/April I cut 8 principle rafters, 2 valley rafters, 6 jack rafters, and some floor joists.

So, basically 9 months of actually building the frame.  But, throw in the weather, back rehab in winter - then it was basically a year.  I had absolutely no shelter to work in at all - so, I was at the mercy of weather.  Would've been way faster if I had shelter of any kind to cut in, illuminate, heat, and didnt have to put in 40 hours a week at the factory!

Stagerig

Excellent work!  We have been cutting our frame for 2 yrs and we hope to raise it the end of October.  The day job really cuts into my framing time.  Did you ever decide what you are going to use for the roof?
Peterson WPF with Slabber, Woodmizer LT40, Kioti 455 w/FEL, MasseyFerguson 1533 w/FEL, New Holland C185, Granberg MarkIII & MiniMill, Husqvarna 3120XP, 455, 385XP, Shindaiwa 575x2 & 757

bigshow

Quote from: Stagerig on September 24, 2009, 07:33:15 PM
Excellent work!  We have been cutting our frame for 2 yrs and we hope to raise it the end of October.  The day job really cuts into my framing time.  Did you ever decide what you are going to use for the roof?

I hope to have the SIP order finalized Monday.  10" SIPS on roof, 6" walls.  I'm gonna try to go with a concealed fastener metal roof - but, the pricepoints..my goodness.

Alexis

Did you find that any timber had moved too much and you had to recut them?

Alexis

Brad_bb

Given the thicknesses you  mentioned, I'm assuming that they are polystyrene sips?  I have not had the chance to work with sips yet, but Iheard that they are using ones with urethane foam now that are thinner for the same R value.  Did you compare and if so, what was your deciding factor(s)?  I've also heard that someone is making them fire retardent too -self extinguishing.  Any info on that?

wkheathjr

Brad,

Interesting info you shared and now I am intrigued on the SIPS and that would be interesting to know it is flame-retardant as this would be something I will want on my home and for future multi-purpose building I have in my mind for the campground.

Hopefully Big Show can share details on that..

bigshow

Prepare to be underwhelmed by my SIPS info!  I only priced out the two panel companies close to me.  One appeared to want to do business more than the other.  Both were the same price - So, I just chose the one that had a more of a fire under their hind quarters.

typical EPS...though the FAQ of my panel manufacturer mentions PolyIso!..huh, I never got any info on that. 

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Bigshow,  Congratulations!  I didn't know you had the frame raised!  Nice.

bigshow

Ok..I'm done with the frame now...jack rafters are live:

Thank You Sponsors!