iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best rope for skidding logs

Started by MIKO, September 21, 2009, 07:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKO

I manage 133 acres of mostly oak and hickory in Missouri.  I recently purchased a Log-rite fetching arch rated at 2000lbs to skid the logs about 100yds up a hill (33 degrees).  I would like to hook a rope to the arch and run that through 2 snatch blocks with 4 inch sheaves attached to trees at the top of the hill and pulled with my truck. I need to know what type of rope to use for this project.  A portable winch website sells 1/2 inch double braided polyester rope rated at 7200lbs ( must be tensile strength ).  Grainger says that solid braid nylon rope works best with pulleys and winches and sells a 1/2 inch that is rated 4300 lbs.  And then there is wire rope.  What would be best for this job?

chucker

5/16 wire rope hands down !! problem with rope is to much strech and easy to wear when rubbed on a burr... problem with cable(wire rope) is frayed wires and easy to kink when working with long lengths!!  still in my book wire rope is the answer.......
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

chevytaHOE5674

If your stuck on synthetic winch rope, Amsteel blue would be my choice. Pick an appropriate size.

If running it through block and tackles, synthetic rope will take a beating however. Steel cable is much more abrasion resistant for that kind of operation.

Kevin

Amsteel is going to be too expensive for that purpose.
I would opt for a static kernmantle rope.
Running it through the blocks and off the ground will help save it.
Wire rope would be a pain.

beenthere

Bailey's (Forum Sponsor on left column) sells rope for winching.

Nice part is it is light weight compared to wire rope, lugging it around, coiling it up, etc.  The rope works well in the capstan winches too. Kevin, is that the rope you use in your capstan winch? What is the rated strength?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

I'm using 1/2" stable braid for the capstan because it is more pliable.
The kernmantle is a good rigging/pulling rope,either rope is good for pulling.
Depends on the size but 1/2 inch should be plenty, 10,000 to 11,000lbs.
Rope rotation is also a consideration.

MIKO

Thanks for all the replys.  I looked into Amsteel blue.  Looks like some tough stuff.  A bit expensive and I could not find the 350ft length I was looking for.  Same for galvanized wire rope and I don't know much about swaging.  It looked like kernmantle might be the wise choice and the most versitile.  I called the folks at Knot and Rope, www.knotandrope.com , and they recommended I try bull rope.  Half inch double braided polyester over nylon with a urethane coating and 10,500lb tensile strength.  $344.50 delivered for 350ft.  I will let you know if it does "knot" work. :D ;D

chucker

350 feet probably wont be the right length... if your planing on using 2 or even triple lineing with the blocks you will need at least a extra "HANK" of rope!! which ever type your going to use make sure you have plenty !! as spliceing is not fun nor recommended if your not sure how to apply the splice!! wire rope comes in 500' lengths for 5/16th  spooled..... www.safelandindustrial.com for 75.00.............
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Kevin

You might consider adding a swivel or two in the system.

rebocardo

I use 1/4" winch line and it works fine, except if you run it through a small (under 4") pulley it will "corkscrew" sometimes. Which makes it a real pain to store. I ran wire rope through a 1/2" shackle bow when I ran out of blocks for a multiple block pull, pretty much wrecked the whole cable.

I have used rope before, my experience with the 7,000 pound 1/2 is that it "bruises" easy and you end up with a weak spot and you have to cut out the bad spot and reseal the ends too much. Braided is probably better, but, it drives me crazy when it flattens and then separates.

Though syn. rope is MUCH safer to use then wire rope. Though wire rope will stand up to being pulled through the mud and brush much better. You might consider "bull ropes", a much bigger investment, but, they hold up better to pulleys and abuse.

Thank You Sponsors!