iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old JD Gators

Started by Engineer, September 21, 2009, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I have an opportunity to get one of two JD Gators at the local dealer.  They are both the older style 6x4 with the really low profile and big fat knobby tires.  One has 700+ hours, the other has about 350 hours, both are identical with gas engine and electric dump.  I like the older style and it will work out well in the woods for me.  Is there anything about these models that I should watch out for, any persistent problems or limitations?  I care much less about speed than capacity or clearance, and I've had a chance to drive them quite a bit so I know what they are like.

Also - how well will these things push a snowplow?

beenthere

Don't know of any persistent problems.
I have a 4x2, and find it goes on trails in the woods very well. I don't expect it to go where there are no trails, as there is a lot of brush "off trail".   Personnaly I would not want the extra rear tires in the woods. The 4x2 has been very reliable, in performance and comfort.
Friend of mine has a 4x2 with a V plow. He says it does better than an ATV. But I won't try to argue in that debate.  ;)
Apparently it plows well.  :)  I wouldn't consider it a good snow plow unless I had no other alternatives.

The 6x4 has a bigger engine but doesn't turn as easy, having to skid the tires abit while turning. But the hauling capacity is more with the extra tires.

The route with the Gator (IMO) is the 4x4, more like Ironwood has. Sits up a bit higher and gets in and out of tough spots easier.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallys World

I have a 4 X 2. It has a full brush guard, front fender guard and a enclosed front winch. I built a tool rack out of "Kindorf" that you use for electricial mounting.

This photo shows the rack. PVC pipe for tool handles. It has gone thru anything I have gave it. It has been very reliable, only have replaced the trottle cable, and the ignitor (the ignitor as JD calls it is an electronic device that has to do with spark).  When I lived in New York state I'd run skidder chains on the rear and it would go thru 6=8 inch snow without a problem. As far as pushing a plow, my dealer told me the 6 X 4 was more suited for that, 4 wheels in the rear pushing keeping the front wheels from being pushed arouind by the plow angle. Remember these are not very heavy, you may need to add weight for pushing.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

fishpharmer

Well I like my 6x4.  It hauls alot, its reliable, stops well and seems fuel efficient.

It hasn't been stuck yet although I don't go mud riding.  The traction is great.  Yet you do suffer in turning radius.  Doesn't compare to a Rhino (yamaha).  Its a great all around workhorse.  Ground clearance leaves a bit to be desired in the woods.  No problems in fields and open trails.  Choose your  path wisely. 

Only have 65 hours so can't speak to longetivity.  Love the electric dump.  Tailgate latches are a bit odd and slow but work well.

Snow?  Now what is that? :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

James , now you know we should both get us a snow plow...think of how long they would last! ;) :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ironwood

Alot of local estates us those, one has maybe 6-8 of those in addition to one HPX, and two Rangers (6X6) and one Mule. The crew loves those things. 11 HP and about 11 mph. Rear locking diff (tough to steer esp in snow when locked), they plow with them and love it. Dependable, chains drive the rear diffs as I recall, so alittle maintaince there but GOOD machines and VERY dependable, could out of the hole QUICKLY.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!