iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do ya keep in your pockets.....Besides sawdust ?

Started by woody1, September 20, 2009, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

I was just emptying out my pockets to put them in the wash. I was just wondering if I am the only one that keeps so much in my pockets. Laying on the desk are 3 sets of keys, chap stick, a sharp pocket knife, snuff, ear plugs, pencil, tape measure, wallet, and a note book...and yes sawdust. Forgot about the cell phone.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Bibbyman

Parts of red and blue lumber crayons, a $5.00 lock blade knife, assorted washers, nuts, small parts and in my watch pocket, ear plugs when not in my ears.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

I typically carry with me:

left pocket:
change
two sets of keys
tape measure
pocket knife
two cell phones  (work and personal)

right pocket:
Wallet

left rear:
handkercheif

right rear:
notes/paper/other flat odds and ends
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gizmodust

Money clip, 2 sets of keys, tape measure, pocket knife, 2 pr. 4" pliers, 4" cresent wrench, wallet, hankerchief and a 5" flashlight, notebook, cell phone, pencil, pen and my brains(palm zire).  No room for much sawdust  :D :D.
Always liked wood with alot of character

sawthemlogs

if i had anything at all in my pockets ,i would have somebody elses pants on :D :D
R.D.

Magicman

Knife, keys, chapstick, change, handkerchief, comb, billfold.  I wear a leather welder's waist apron which protects my jeans plus keeps sawdust out of my pockets....... ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hi-Country Orange

several of the above mentioned, & sm. pair of nail clippers,
ican't be the only one :)

beenthere

left front       pocket knife    Swiss Army electrician

right front     empty

left rear      red kerchief

right rear     billfold

watch pocket   ear plugs
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

In various pockets I carry keys, lumber crayon in a holder, LED/Xenon flashlight. On my belt is a Leatherman Wave and my Cell phone. Sometimes on the weekends I'll take everything out of the pockets and take off the belt. 'Bout the only time I feel really free. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ohsoloco

Other than ear plugs (only when I'm doing something that I'll need them), I don't typically have anything in my pockets.  I can't stand anything being in there.  Typically carry my wallet to the truck in my hand, and only have it in my back pocket if I'll be on my feet....just can't sit on one anymore.  Always have a need for a pocket knife, but it always sits perpendicular to my leg, so I just can't take feeling it in there.  Cargo pants/shorts are nice, those bottom side pockets are do-able for carrying stuff, but that's about it. 

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 20, 2009, 09:27:55 PM
how hot is that apron, magicman?

Not bad, I wear it year round.  This is my second, and it's about 1/2 used up.  The only time it's not on is when I'm wearing my chainsaw chaps.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customdave

H.......m , Left front 2 sets of keys each with 15 keys
   Right front change , pocket knife (30yrs old)
  Change pocket , small nail clippers , med woodrif key,2 different cotter pins,small hairpin keeper.
Back right, wallet ( cash,drivers,various IDs, receiepts etc , comb

Back left, gas & various reciepts.
Left shirt , small wallet for credit cards , small notebook & 2 pens , cell phone
Right shirt , cigs & lighter.
Belt leatherman blast.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

backwoods sawyer

Left front: change, nut, cotter pin, two washers, large gold nugget, and a marble.

Right front: 2 key chains, tape measure clipped on.

Left rear: two lumber crayons in holders tied together.

Right rear: wallet, business cards

Shirt pocket: assorted notes, phone #s, receipts.

Belt: Another key ring, cell phone, Leatherman Blast.

Upper jacket pocket: note pad, and pen.

Lower jacket pockets: one glove each

Between all on my pockets I have enough sawdust to start a small warming fire.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

york

Albert

Lud

2 knives,  a Buck finger open stainless for rough work and Schaade Muskrat kept REAL sharp,  Zippo  in left front, keys on carbiner on left side belt loop, cheap cell phone tied to a $11 Walmart  stopwatch (big numbers) with the lanyard knotted in a terminal turkshead.

pencils, markers, El Verso Bouquets in shirt pocket.  Wallet stays in the house. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Jeff

I keep my wallet in my left front pocket as I learned that it had been the source of may back problems over the years sitting on it in the sawbooth. I don't think I have had my back go out since I moved it to the front pocket 3 or 4 years ago.  Sure took some getting used to. Constantly reaching back and not finding it at first.   My right front pocket right now has a Barlow pocket knife, an extra key for the cabin, a little change, a small puddin stone a receipt from tractor supply that you can't read anymore and a book of matches for lighting the trash barrel.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberfaller390

left front: 4 sets of keys (home, farm, other farm, and jobsites) ear plugs, change, snuff, tire valve stem tool,small tape measure.

right front: good knife

left rear: wallet

right rear: more snuff

belt: Leatherman Wave, cell phone and occaisionally a gun.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Mr Mom

front left..... money and change and old recites(sp) and odd things
front right..... nothing,Tape measure hanging off the pocket when milling.
back left......pocket knife and wallet
back right.....keys,tape measure hanging off the pocket when bucking logs.
all the pockets have lint and sawdust,dirt,stones and acrons for the kids when they find them when we talk a walk down the road.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Chuck White

Lt Front:  Chapstick & Nitro, Wallet
Rt Front:  Small bottle of eye drops, Piece of red crayon
Lt Rear:  Empty
Rt Rear:  Handkerchief and small Crescent wrench
Belt:  Buck, "Scout Lite" lock-back knife (had it since 1985)
Small utility pockets:  Screwdriver
All Pockets: A little sawdust, the most being in the rt front
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quote from: york on September 21, 2009, 05:59:57 AM
Nothing,all my pockets have big holes.....

So you lost everything you were carrying?  ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Other than a bandana in the left rear pocket I can't stand to have anything in my pockets.  I will clip a lot of stuff on my belt and even 'spenders such as phone, GPS, buck knife, whistle, and water bottle.
I will occasionally carry a small camera in the thigh pocket if I am wearing cargo pants.  
My cruising vest on the other hand contains a notebook for inventory data, twig and sprout ID book, 101 Trees of Indiana book, a cheap but sharp pocket knife, assorted pencils and marking crayons, First aid kit, large gauze pad, compass, magnifying glass, notepad, zip-loc plastic bags, whistle (if not on my suspenders), flashlight and munchies.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Dave Shepard

I haven't carried my wallet in at least ten years. I used to spend a lot of time on a lawn mower or other equipment, and I had a constant aching back. I still have back trouble, but not from the wallet. Mine stays in the boot next to the four-wheel-drive shifter.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rbhunter

LF inhaler and change
RF keys, pocket knife, mini folding utility knife,
BR Billfuld, comb

"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Don K

LF- pocketknife, work keys on a nail clipper
RF- change
LR- address/ph # book
RR- billfold

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Raider Bill

LF wallet [for same reason, cyatic nerve pain]
RF coin, small pen knife
LR hankerchief
RR small pad

Keys and cell hang on belt.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pineywoods

Not much sawdust, it dribbles out the holes and falls down into my open top boots. Change, pocket knife, 2 sets of keys, small channel lock pliers, led flashlight, big red bandana, billfold.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dodgy Loner

One keychain (with a small knife on it - it's the only way I can keep from losing my knife)
Cellphone
Wallet

I rarely have change, but when I do, that goes in my pocket as well.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Stephen1

Change, swiss army knife from 94, nail clipper, lighter ( don't smoke) paper money, that way I don't have to carry my wallet all the time, can leave it locked in the truck, or work bag. Pocket watch in the watch pocket - it has big numbers. receipts in the back pocket and what ever else I find and pick up, some nuts & washers right now, and lately I have started carrying my $store reading glasses, it seems I need them all the time now.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

red oaks lumber

left front- money clip(empty most of the time) all other pockets empty
i leave the keys in the truck so i know where there at,cell phone should be thrown in the woods, thats in truck also
oh forgot right front   pocket lint with sawdust
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

rbarshaw

Just my hands, as I stare at my unfinished mill and dream of sawdust in my pockets. :(
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Burlkraft

I don't carry much......

Right front is a Kershaw 2 1/2" lock back knife that I have had for years. Lost it a few times but always manage to find it eventually  ;D

That is it. I hate stuff in my pockets. Like Jeff I quit carrying my wallet because of my back. It doesn't have any money anyway  ::)

When I saw I have a red crayon too, but a short one only.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

mayor

pocket knife
wallet
change
stanley tape on my side
poke of redman chewin bakker in my rear pocket
rag ta blow my nose in the other pocket!.

danged ole cell phone is layin in the truck where it belongs....I'm here ta have fun...not be bothered by phone calls!......

tyb525

LF- Cell phone (only if I'm expecting a call)
RF- Pen/pencil, screwdriver, whatever I pick up
LR- Nothing, except a receipt or note sometimes
RR- Wallet (might be changing this soon, I've heard of back problems caused by this from many people)

I don't like having much in my pockets, If I can constantly feel it in there then it comes out. Everything else I need sets on the shop table if I'm sawing. If I'm logging I keep wedges in my coverall front pockets, everything else in toolbox on tractor.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

maple flats

front rt- coin, currency, keys (which are hung from belt but stuck into pocket to stop swinging. Front left- more currency, (usually wadded), nuts, bolts , washers, 2 pocket knives (1 good blade, one damaged but usable to save damage to good one, sometimes wrenches and or screw driver. Left rear- blue or red handkerchief and ritht rear, wallet with way too much except cash in it. On belt, cell phone, Leatherman, and key chain (whose keys hung into front rt pocket. To hold this all up I wear suspenders AND a belt (actuaolly my suspenders have belt clips instead of the clamps that tear fabric with wear and tear. I have always been apt to carry way too much in my pockets and at my age it will likely not change as long as I still can work.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!