iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing in Indiana????

Started by bikedude73, September 20, 2009, 09:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

Is there anyone on here from Indiana??  I am thinking of getting into milling part time and I am in Indiana and wondered about this area and how busy people are...... :P

TheWoodsman

I'm in southeastern Indiana.  Way too many Woodmizers down here since they are manufactured in New Point (between Greensburg and Batesville).  I stay as busy as I can with commercial woodworking as I can actually make a living wage doing that and then fill in with a little sawmilling.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

bikedude73

I am on the west side of Columbus over by Brown County Lots of people doing crafts and woodworking ect...... 

Bibbyman

Under the "Forum Extras" button is a link to "Members Map".  You'll find a lot of members from Indiana located there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bikedude73

Bibbyman I have done that and there is no one on here on the map near me but there are people sawing that I know of so just was wondering.  You have been so helpful on here THANKS so much... :P

JV

There are several members on the forum from Indiana.  Some saw full time, others only part time.  I haven't pushed too hard because we are trying to finish building a wood shop that has been a long time coming.  My business has been word-of-mouth as I don't advertise.  Once we are set up like I want, I'll put business cards up at the local hardware store and some other businesses that have post it boards.  One of my best customers is over 30 miles from me, he found me through a mutual friend.  Poor economy or not, I still feel that there is potential if you are willing to shake the bushes for work.  Ask around at your local hardward store, farm center, home suppy, and see if they get customers looking for custom sawn lumber.  Based on your location, I think you have possibilities.  One of our Hoosier members is 17, has a manual mill and is getting business because of his attitude and williness to work.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

mcfcfan

Hi Bikedude73.

I have arep in Idiana, Tom, his contact details are on our website (Peterson Portable Sawmills)
Feel free to give him a call.
Regards
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Cedarman

We have been at it full time since 88 sawing cedar just north of Marengo.
Cedarman
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

OneWithWood

Bikedude,
I am located just west of Lemon Lake in Monroe county.  I know of at least four portable mills between you and I, some stay busy some not.  I mill a bit for others and I dry a bit for others but primarily my mill and kiln get used for my own stuff.
What is the story behind your handle?  At one time I was quite active with ABATE, or is that the wrong kind of 'bike'?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

bikedude73

The bikedude73 is I am a cyclist (bicycle) and I was born in 1973....  I used to own a bicycle shop in Coulumbus Indiana so I have done the business thing just not this one..

tyb525

I'm in Grant county bikedude, if you would like to stop by and see my mill just let me know. It's an LT10, the smallest WM, but it gets the job done currently. I don't attempt to do much production very fast, but it is good for a few logs in a day or those specialty cuts.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!