iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic band tensioner

Started by coastlogger, September 20, 2009, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastlogger

My mill has a pretty standard I think hydraulic tensioner. "Piston"is around an inch in dia and there is a screw arrangement to exert force on the plunger to send oil to the tensioning piston. I saw at 2500 psi.Anyhow the thing leaks a bit and needs topping up every few days.A pain in the ...I did disassemble and reseal piston awhile ago but it only partially fixed prob.Oil comes out past piston. Im thinking of just switching to grease instead of oil. Anyone tried this?? A friend has a mill similar and uses grease seems to work fine but of course I dont know EXACTLY how all his components compare to mine. Im hoping,given the minor of the leak,that grease being thicker will not come out the gap . Anyone??
clgr
clgr

solidwoods

Under pressure grease and oil will leak.
And there is allot of pressure on that donut.
Do you have a Kasco?
I have one and that is the type of tension gage system on it.
Mine has O rings which can be replaced real easy,  (once since 92).
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Bibbyman

The problem I'd see right off with grease is when you go to change the blade and have to back it off quite a bit.  I'd think the grease would not want to push back like the oil. It only be worse in cold weather. Maybe.. I think...
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

In the long run, the simplest thing is generally to just "back your ears", get the manual out, talk to the factory, and fix/replace the seals.  Anything less probably won't work or last anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!