iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started collecting my share of a barter

Started by maple flats, September 19, 2009, 08:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Back in the spring I sawed 4 large white oak logs far a guy about a half mile from my sawmill. Today I went and started cutting, with his help, my share of the barter. I agreed on the cutting for 1500 BF of hemlock logs. I dropped 3 trees, each averaging just over 300 bf (international scale), bucked them to needed lengths and loaded them on an old hay wagon running gear for the ride home. My little 25 HP 4x4 /FEL did well. I was pleasantly surprised i could lift an 18' log with 14" on the small end. I hooked a chain to the first cross member behind the bucket to keep the load closer or I would not have lifted it. At day's end I had 915 bf of nice straight hemlock with few branches on the 2 lower logs off each stump. Only have time for 1 load tomorrow which will be about 300 bf. Not sure when I can get the last load, but if it rains much it will need to wait til next summer most likely, We usually get too much snow to pull a wagon thru with my little tractor and I don't have a set of bobs. It the rains hold off til after next weekend I'll be finished. Then I'll have to get them sawed and stickered to start drying.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!