iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hummers

Started by Magicman, September 19, 2009, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

You might want to try some new soap  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wick

Here is a picture of me holding one last July. It flew into my garage and could not figure how to get out, so I rescued it. Released after a show and tell with my "baby girl". She was impressed.

Timber Harvester 30HT25

Magicman

We are really wrapped up with hummers.  I haven't taken any pictures, but there are easily a dozen zooming in and out chasing each other and drinking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

I believe our hummers moved out either last night or early this a.m. as none were seen today. They had been staging for several days in a cypress just above the feeders and other nectar bearing flowers.

Birders are asking us to watch for the rufous hummers later this month or other rare species that may be migrating out of the drouth and fire stricken areas of the west.

SwampDonkey

The last of the hummers, in the woods at least, was two weeks ago in these parts. They seem to like bright red hard hats to dive on.  ::) About the only flowers this time of year are golden rod and asters.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

They have been working the wife's bee balm. Have not noticed them lately. They maybe all gone for all I know.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, my bee balm is all gone to seed now. I have a big patch of it mother planted years ago.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wesdor

We had a good sized flock of them (40 - 50?) all summer and most of them left last week. This morning we have 6 - 10 of them at the feeders.  Our thought is that these are some from up north that are migrating through or perhaps the last batch that hatched.

We'll keep the feeders out for them as long as any stragglers are around

Patty

I saw a couple of them yesterday feeding on our flowers. They prefer red salvias, but mine didn't grow so well this year, so the poor  little humming birds have had to settle for purple petunias. I promised them that next year I would do a better job for them.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

DeepWoods

My wife has been feeding them all summer.  She had three feeders that she refilled twice a day for most of summer, but is now down to one, and hasn't been filled for several days now.  There were times when we would have 20-30 of them flying between the feeders.   She went through 55 pound of sugar to keep them satisfied.  We are down around freezing each morning so we will be seeing our last bird real soon.  They are fun to watch, but can be very possessive at times. 
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Freedom6178

Our Feeder is set just outside our from windows. I was able to get a few good photos. We tend to only see a few of these little guys per year. but they return every year to the same area and feeders.

------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Magicman

I was looking at this old "Hummer" thread.  It is always about this same time in September when ours return, and they have returned.  A half dozen or more buzz bombing each other and jockeying for a place at the feeder.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I saw was here last week, but I'm sure they are gone or going by now though. Swallows are long gone.

LaneC

They have been hitting the glass door at my dads. There are a bunch there now. They are filling up their feeders constantly. Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent birds from running in to glass doors/ windows(not just humming birds). Sometimes other birds smash in to the door with no feeders or anything around. I hate to see it when a bird smashes in to a door. I was just curious if anyone knew of a tip or secret they have tried and are wiling to share.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

We easily have a dozen or more Hummers today and yup, they occasionally smack the Sun Room windows.

We have 5 windows across the back of the Sun room and various birds see the reflection of what is behind them and have a sudden surprise.  They get up, wobble around and finally fly off.   smiley_dizzy

thecfarm

I thought stickers or something on the windows will help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I'm afraid that you would have to cover the entire window because they see a blue sky reflection and think that it is the Indianapolis Speedway.   ::)

wesdor

We still have a full complement of hummers here in northern Illinois.  I'd guess at least 30 have been swarming around here for the last couple of weeks.  Nights are starting to get cool - with a 45 degree predicted later this week.  We figure they will head south soon. 

Magic - We'll tell them to head your way for a welcome place to stop.   ;D

You are correct, they are somewhat predictable in timetable.  And we are very happy to have them here every summer.  We keep at least 3 feeders out at a time and fill them as needed.

Chuck White

We are starting to see fewer hummers every 3-4 days or so!

We know they'll be back somewhere between the 7th and the 15th of May, 2015.

You be nice to our birds Lynn!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MikeON

I was lucky enough to find a nest this year.  I mounted a tripod column in the tree and used a Sigma 300-800mm lens on a Canon 7D.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Chuck White

Really nice pictures Mike!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Nice find Mike, and pictures.   :)

clww

Great discovery you shared with us. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Nice pictures. Mighty nice.

SwampDonkey

In the summer they are always buzzing the red hard hat. :D

Nice photo shoot.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!