iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Advise on Used LT 40 Super Hyd.

Started by fstedy, September 19, 2009, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

I am in the process fo upgrading to another mill. Found a great LT40 Super Hyd. with the 51hp Cat engine. The machine is loaded with all the bells and whistles that I've been looking for. What areas should I be checking during my survey of this machine. I am particularly skeptical of the Cat engine as many are for sale with recently replaced engines. I thought Cat was supposed to be one of the finest but there seems to be some problems. What are they? The machine has less than 1000 hours on it and its 5 years old. What does WM charge for their maint. packages? I know a lot of you have a similar machines to this so any suggestions will be a great help.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

I wonder what is actually happening with the Cat 51 engines?  Greg Brock at WM may be the man to call.  I know that WM will shoot straight with you concerning your questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Cut some wood with it and not just a log or two, that should show you most of the hidden problems with the saw head. Open up all of the panels, control, fuse, battery box, hydraulic box, ect, to make sure that everything is still all nice neat and tidy. Corrosion and messy wiring and an over all dirty box is an indicator of underlying problems. Look the whole mill over and see how well it has been lubed, if it is lacking proper lube then there may be issues. I have the Kubota motor so can not speak for the Cat, but I would not get to hung up on that if it checks out ok. 
Hope it all works out for you.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

The mill at work is a 2008 super with the 51 Cat. The engine is really a yellow Perkins. We only have 250 hours on ours so far. It did have a defective exhaust manifold, but that was replaced under warranty. The Perkapiller doesn't start as easily in cold weather as a Kubota, but other than that it has performed well. The Super mill will really slice up some logs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!