iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buzz saw (Pics added)

Started by timberfaller390, September 19, 2009, 01:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Some of you may rember a thread called Cyrus is DRT, where I mentioned a buzz saw I had just picked up when the truck died. I finally got it going. I sharpened and set the blade, greased everything and fired it up. It cuts great. This is a cool little unit cause it mounts on the back of my Farmall Super A, you just drive to where ever you are going to saw and fire it up. I will have the rig at a tractor show this coming weekend so I will post some pics and maybe video.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Gilman

Looking forward to the pics
  :)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

sdunston

Mine is mounted on the front of a 52 farmall ''H", I will post a picture soon along with pic's of logs that are awiating my LT28 to be delievered on wed. Cant wait 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

tyb525

They work great for cutting up slabs 8) I use my neighbors mounted on the back of his JD B.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mike_van

I always found if you had 3 people, you could really make some sawdust. One gets the next slab, one pushes the table back & forth, and the holds on to & throws the cut piece of wood.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

timberfaller390

It's a cool toy buy I'm not convensed that it's more productive than my chainsaw for cutting slabs.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

tyb525

It depends on how you have your chainsaw operation set up. To me, thick chunks are good for the chainsaw, smaller pieces go faster with the buzz saw.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sdunston

It took me a while but hope the pic comes out
Sam
Hey it worked 8) the saw drives from th pulley on the right side, I leave the belt off because the sun dries them out.
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

I have used one alot their handy for small stuff that can be picked up easily,such as slabs.Heavy stuff you will bust them getting it on the table best to use the chainsaw for that.You don't want any hook when you sharpen,the cutting edge should be in line with the center of the blade with good set to prevent binding.Really stay alert buzz saws are as close to an infernal machine as most of us get.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timberfaller390

Well the tractor show got rained out today but I'll get out tomorrow and take some pics.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Magicman

Wow, we had one of those that was free standing and was on skids.  We had a pully that bolted to the back of the old 8N Ford and ran off of the PTO shaff.  Those were the days.  I was too small, but I'd sit and watch them cut firewood...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberfaller390

Here's a few pics of the Super A. Rain and work have kept me from getting pics of the buzz saw attached but I plan on attacking my slab pile this week.

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Raider Bill

Timberfaller
What are the pouches you are wearing? Are they for seeding?

Sdunston,

That saw looks dang dangerous!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Raider Bill

Those may be lunch bags.  8)

Who's in the pics? Either an FF member?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberfaller390

Raider the bags are seed bags. that particular field is not big enough to warrent hooking up the planter. Beenthere
pic 1. My Grandpaw on the ground and me on the tractor
2. Me on the tractor laying off rows
3. Paw Paw on the left and me on the right.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dana

Having  stitches in my leg from a buzz saw, my first priority would be to fabricate a blade guard.  :)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

beenthere

How did your leg get into the buzz saw?  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

Quote from: Magicman on September 26, 2009, 02:35:40 PM
Wow, we had one of those that was free standing and was on skids.  We had a pully that bolted to the back of the old 8N Ford and ran off of the PTO shaff.  Those were the days.  I was too small, but I'd sit and watch them cut firewood...... :)

Here you go......only on a 9N  ;D

Ed

stonebroke

Never seen one in quite that color.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

Robert Frost "Out, out!"

I think of this every time I see one of those old saws.

The buzz-saw snarled and rattled in the yard
And made dust and dropped stove-length sticks of wood,
Sweet-scented stuff when the breeze drew across it.
And from there those that lifted eyes could count
Five mountain ranges one behind the other
Under the sunset far into Vermont.
And the saw snarled and rattled, snarled and rattled,
As it ran light, or had to bear a load.
And nothing happened: day was all but done.
Call it a day, I wish they might have said
To please the boy by giving him the half hour
That a boy counts so much when saved from work.
His sister stood beside them in her apron
To tell them "Supper." At the word, the saw,
As if to prove saws knew what supper meant,
Leaped out at the boy's hand, or seemed to leap
He must have given the hand. However it was,
Neither refused the meeting. But the hand!
The boy's first outcry was a rueful laugh,
As he swung toward them holding up the hand
Half in appeal, but half as if to keep
The life from spilling. Then the boy saw all
Since he was old enough to know, big boy
Doing a man's work, though a child at heart
He saw all spoiled. "Don't let him cut my hand off
The doctor, when he comes. Don't let him, sister!"
So. But the hand was gone already.
The doctor put him in the dark of ether.
He lay and puffed his lips out with his breath.
And then-the watcher at his pulse took fright.
No one believed. They listened at his heart.
Little-less-nothing! and that ended it.
No more to build on there. And they, since they
Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

That is a sobering read.  :o :o
south central Wisconsin

Ed

Quote from: stonebroke on October 07, 2009, 07:23:39 PM
Never seen one in quite that color.

Stonebroke

:D :D :D

Ya'all mean JD yellow isn't becoming of the old Ford?

Dad had me paint it with a brush when I was a kid, he wanted to make sure Grandpa was visible when driving on the road.  ;D

Ed

Dana

Quote from: beenthere on October 07, 2009, 09:20:31 AM
How did your leg get into the buzz saw?  ::)
Beenthere, I was a kid at the time. There was a cedar pole that was laying between the saw table and the ground. I thought I could walk up the pole, lost my balance and fell into the blade. Obviously the saw wasn't operating or the results would have been worse.

timberfaller390

Okay I finally got some pics of the buzz saw. This tractor is a working restoration, meaning that it is getting painted and parts fixed/replaced when the tractor is not being used.

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

fishpharmer

TF the new paint looks great. 

That is truly a multipurpose piece of equipment, the tractor.

Be careful, don't wanna add any verses to Robert Frost's work.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

wi woodcutter

Timberfaller very nice looking tractor. ;D

I love old tractors, my favorite are the farmall super A and the John Deere 730.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

beenthere

Looks like you are missing a board on that table for resting logs on for bucking.

Thanks for the pics.
south central Wisconsin

tyb525

Beenthere, isn't that what the board is that you can see in the first picture? Or is that something else?

beenthere

I see that back board, but there needs to be one on the bottom too (the way I see it in the second pic).

Or the limb wood or whatever will fall through the frame, when it gets too short to span the framework.

Those saws do look a bit on the dangerous side. Spent more time around one that I care to remember.  :)
Can still hear the "ziiingg, riiingg" sound  :) :)

south central Wisconsin

timberfaller390

I really haven't had much trouble with stuff falling through. The angle iron frame has enough of a lip to hold most stuff.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

WH_Conley

Done a lot of cuttin, mine had a bottom.
Bill

customdave

Neat thread guys, made me remember that I bought one 20yrs or so ago , so I put my boots on & went out to the back 40 & found it ! (with a little help from my son when I couldn't find it, sucks when a guy can't remember). Now that I found it I want to rig it up for the slab pile, have a couple of questions . It is mounted on table frame, straight shaft belt pulley , blade on other end , I would like to convert drive to regular pto drive-540 pto , will this work properly with throttle for speed or do I need jack shaft to speed up or down, I have no idea what the speed of this blade should be . It is a 28.5" diameter blade. Would appreciate any ideas before conversion, thankyou.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

timberfaller390

The PTO shaft should work fine. I usally run mine on about half throttle, but I run it up higher if I am cutting a big piece. Make sure your saw frame is well anchored or build a hitch to mount it to the 3 point. If a buzz saw running on a flat belt tips over the belt will come off and the saw will stop turning. I don't want to over simplify that, if a flat belt saw tips over it is still dangerous as cocked lightning as any fast turning blade hitting the ground will be, but one driven by a pto shaft will NOT stop turning and that is going to be a bad situation.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

customdave

Thanks Timberfaller390, I see your belt pulley pto is right angle drive off your farmall tractor . Is their any gear reduction or is it still a 540 pto speed ?

Thanks Dave

bandmiller2

Dave ,the speed of buzz saws is not that critical,if iI recall around 1200rpm.I had mine mounted on the front of a JD B throttle a little above idle.Its easy duty for a decent tractor you don't want to have to run them up to PTO speed.You really need a right angle gearbox, if your in line with the PTO ,tractor will be in the way on long slab.Would sure be handy set up for 3 pt hitch.Frank C.

timberfaller390

It depends on what model tractor you have. On one of the old fords I had, PTO speed was almost full throttle. My new (well 3 years old now) 50 horse John Deere, PTO speed is about half throttle or a little less. Any tractor PTO speed will be 540 rpm's, that's the standerd. Some tractors may take more rpm's from the engine to get the PTO there than others but standerd PTO speed is 540. The lever that engages the PTO on some older tractors had two settings, forward was for PTO, back was for groundspeed which turned the PTO shaft at the same speed as the back wheels were turning.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

customdave

Thanks guys, Iwas thinking of leaving table mounted & puting wheels under , hitch to draw bar ,pto too double v groove pulley over too double v groove saw shaft ? This would get it to the side of tactor & raise it up enough to get my wood conveyor under to take away the blocks. Just thinkin out loud here , but would like to make it one man operation , what do ya think?

Thanks Dave

timberfaller390

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bandmiller2

That will work Dave,just be sure its at a handy hight and theirs nothing to trip on anywhere near the saw,I would have the belts just tight enough to do the deed but slip if something binds.Frank C.

4genlgr

helped around a buzz saw alot when i was younger  moved from loader to take away to table pusher on a ford 8N set-up   always pondered on a one man set up never had the conveyor to do  my thought on this is: you will need a slide set close to the saw and near the  table to get the wood to the conveyor   if you put the conveyor under the saw you will get alot of sawdust in your wood

customdave

Good thinkin guys , never thought about the sawdust ! Shoot might have problem , I was playin around with saw ,lookin, thinkin, noticed a small crack in the bottom of the gulet, about 3/8" down into blade with small drilled hole @ end , I'm thinken to stop the crack from farther ? Is this blade still safe to use or should I hunt around for a different blade, I don't think they are that easy to come buy anymore unless a guy could buy a new one ? Thanks again guys for ideas & coments, muchly  appreciated.....

Dave

sparky

I spent quite a bit of time cutting firewood on our buzz saw back on the farm. It is critical that the direction the blade is being spun must consider whether the nut for the blade has righthand, or lefthand, thread. The nut should be forced to tighten if the blade should slip slightly on the shaft when engaging the wood being cut. A distant neighbor was fatally injured when the nut on his buzz saw came undone and the blade nearly sliced him in two when it flew off the shaft!

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

customdave

Thanks Sparky , I already looked @ that , left hand thread & blade travel corect in that event!

Dave

4genlgr

Grandfather 's blade did the same thing except that crack was probably over an inch i don't know when it happened but they buzzed up alot of wood with it that way               it's an "old" fix

Safe? I always wondered! all the years i was involved in the procees(jr hi thru college and beyond) the crack never grew

Usable? Probably, but that's your call. I know that grandpa always run the tractor rpm's a little low because of the crack and he never allowed anyone or part of anyone to be in line with the blade. he either threw the last piece or you picked it off the table  when he slid the wood over toward you. as far as a new blade check with your local tractor place or Tractor Supply store, etc  tha frames are still sold so the blades are out there some where

short story: my family has been cleaning out Mom's house and findin gall sorts of treasures among them  was the December 19, 1942 issue of The American Agriculturist, New England Edition. It had an article on "Fitting A Buzz Saw" the article covered Truing the saw, filing, setting, and "gumming" the saw. i had never heard the term before. since i read the  article now i know. I'm sure some of you out there know but " we'll have the answer during the 3rd quarter" :)

bandmiller2

Dave at 28 1/2" that blade has seen some service and has been gummed many times most of them new were 32 to 36".I would use it slower as stated and keep my eyes peeled for anouther.I believe Senica saw in upstate N.Y. still sells new ones but they taint cheap.Almost no one uses them anymore and they are around, ask through the good ole boy network.Frank C.

trapper

I remember over 50 years ago my father bought a saw blade from menominee saw and the local  blacksmith made us a saw rig like that.  It  was staked to the ground and run with a flat belt from the wc allis.  several neighbors got together to saw wood
It had a tilting table.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

timberfaller390

A saw shop could probably cut that one down a little and get the crack out, but you have a fairly small blade to start with so that may not be such a hot idea. You can still find servicable blades pretty easily just keep your eyes open.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Hilltop366

My Dad told me a story about the time a bunch of local farmers were cutting wood with the buzz saw (run with a stationary engine & long belt) behind there barn when the blade broke and about 1/3 of it took off leaving 2/3 spinning on the shaft every one ran away from it as it was jumping around, oddly enough  no one wanted to go shut it off. (no one was hurt)

I remember it running behind the 1944 ford tractor in the mid 70s, we still have all the parts to gear it up but don't seem to have any desire to see it going again. It may have something to do with the horror stories and the guy up the rode a bit that was missing a arm?

Anyway please play safe.

4genlgr

as i understand what i read "gumming out" is done to get the gullets between the teeth to a proper depth and reshape the front and back of the teeth before filing. This after truing the saw (making all the points the same radis from the center of the saw) The gullets collect the sawdust while in the cut. From the article gumming only would happen after many many filing when the gullets were getting very shallow. really sounded like something one would what a pro to do

Ed

You are correct. "Gumming" doesn't need to be done very often.

Just an fyi....the last new blade I bought was probably close to 10 years ago, from LaFave saw in Saginaw, Mi. They are out of business now, the 30" was around $125.00. Not bad when you figure how many years of service it will provide when maintained properly.

Ed

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Ed on October 14, 2009, 02:23:10 PM
You are correct. "Gumming" doesn't need to be done very often.

Just an fyi....the last new blade I bought was probably close to 10 years ago, from LaFave saw in Saginaw, Mi. They are out of business now, the 30" was around $125.00. Not bad when you figure how many years of service it will provide when maintained properly.

Ed

Lafave saw was still in business a month or so back, on Dixie highway and California Ave. They were busy as ever, even had one guy working nights to keep up IIRC. They have/had a few buzz saw blades laying around. I'll look around in the next few weeks and see if I have one laying around.

customdave

Thanks guys, leaned a lot about saw blades which is good to know, I'm a little leary about using this blade, Iwas planning to make a shield for this blade but if new is bigger then a different blade won't fit, so I'll wait until I can tack down a different one or I wouldn't be opposed to buying a new one. I'll keep my eyes & ears open, thanks again...

Dave

Ed

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 14, 2009, 03:32:50 PM
Lafave saw was still in business a month or so back, on Dixie highway and California Ave. They were busy as ever, even had one guy working nights to keep up IIRC. They have/had a few buzz saw blades laying around. I'll look around in the next few weeks and see if I have one laying around.

Thanks for letting me know that!
I knew one of the sons was going to keep doing blade work "on the side" when the business was closed. I never heard anymore about it.

Ed

customdave

Hi guys, talked to an outfit in the city that will sell , sharpen set, etc. these sawblades. The fellow I talked to has been working with these for 30yrs, said he'll look @ it but he would not be scared to run it , just keep an eye on it , if it starts to crack past the relief hole toss it. New 30" blade $385.00 dollars ouch! ole well like I always said there is no expense spared for hunting, fishing, & now sawmilling toys!! ( no wife anymore) ;)

Dave

bandmiller2

Dave,as I said don't rush into a new spinner,have the pro look at it and get it set and the teeth shaped proper.Set up and try it be sure it what you need.Those blades are around laying fallow in old sheds and barns,save those dollars for hunting and fishing.Frank C.

Dana

There is a used one in our local paper for $75.00. The condition isn't given.

Thank You Sponsors!