iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT 40HD vs. LT40SHD????

Started by bikedude73, September 18, 2009, 06:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

Just thought I would ask if the difference in money is worth it for part time side bussiness.  All of your imput has helped a lot and is very very apperciated......... :P

Dan_Shade

if you can afford the super, buy it.

There are many advantages to the super over the regular, can push the band harder, can easier run a wider/thicker band due to having more HP, and has a higher band speed.

and, the hydraulics are MUCH faster.

of course, you PAY for the super  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

I bought my Super used.  I certainly did not know the difference, but there is a huge difference.  I can load and turn logs  that other sawyers turn down.  One sawyer came to watch me load and saw some oak logs that he turned down.  He left shaking his head in disbelief.....and later sold his mill.

And, I haven't even mentioned the 40HP turbo Diesel..... 8)   I am very much a part time sawyer and 100% mobile.  It's nice to be able to saw any job that comes along..... :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

the one "downside" to the super is it will absolutely swamp a one or two man show.  That being said, at some point, I'll likely upgrade to a super, mainly for the increased performance.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 18, 2009, 10:34:56 PM
the one "downside" to the super is it will absolutely swamp a one or two man show.  That being said, at some point, I'll likely upgrade to a super, mainly for the increased performance.

We've got a lot of support equipment and experience with our LT40 Super 25hp 3ph electric and Mary and I will often saw out more than 2500 bf of oak in a day.  (There are a good many days we don't do nearly that much because of the logs, what we're sawing or other conditions beyond our control.) 

I do probably 80% of the sawing so that leaves 80% of the offbearing for Mary.  I'll handle some heavy items and we'll double up on the real heavy items.   

On good days we'll reach this 2500 bf point early in the afternoon and just quit.  We're exhausted.  If we were 20, 30 even 40 years younger, and put in a full day,  no telling how much lumber we could saw in a day.

You don't start using the capacity of the LT40 Super until you have a couple of work-hardened offbearers, support equipment and an edger.  Just my opinion.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

For me, I've never come close to reaching the sawing capacity of the Super.  The log handling (loading and turning) is the plus for me.  I saw a lot of over 30" SYP and oak.  I crank the diesel in the AM, and only shut it down for lunch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on September 18, 2009, 10:17:36 PM
I bought my Super used.  I certainly did not know the difference, but there is a huge difference.  I can load and turn logs  that other sawyers turn down.  One sawyer came to watch me load and saw some oak logs that he turned down.  He left shaking his head in disbelief.....and later sold his mill.

And, I haven't even mentioned the 40HP turbo Diesel..... 8)   I am very much a part time sawyer and 100% mobile.  It's nice to be able to saw any job that comes along..... :) 

I milled up a big ol Oak that four other sawyers had turned down. They had told the log owner that it just could not be milled. I looked at it and for my mill and support equipment it was a doable job.
Just remember that the mill is only part of the equation, maybe 50%, the support equipment is also a big part of it. As a custom sawyer, you will want the mill and support equipment that is going to make your job as easy as you can, because no matter how you look at it, it is hard work. Heck, if a LT-90 were available it would be on my list, because every up grade will help make your job easier. You just have to figure out if it fits into your budget over something else that will save you labor.     
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

Quotebecause every up grade will help make your job easier.
This is a good answer! No one can answer the question because it has many variables depending on what you want or have to complete in an amount of time. The answer is specific to you. The LT15 will produce 125 bf/ft per hour, will it do the job yep. Can you complete 3000 bd ft in an 8 hour day? Every option will help you complete the job more efficiently and in a timely fashion.The Super will have larger motors 3/4 hp for Up Down and Forward Feed. Two hydraulic pumps each having 2 gpm. board return. HSS standard. Most Supers have the Accuset. All this make for your job easier.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!