iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad day for Archery

Started by ARKANSAWYER, September 17, 2009, 08:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Ever since the first time I took a deer with a stick and string I have used Bear Broadheads.  They were sold everywhere and were no problem to get.  So for 30 or so years I have flung 145 gr. Bear broadheads and have had great success with them.  In all the deer I have shot with stick and string I have only lost one.  I have tried other broad heads but for good through and through shots breaking bones comming and going nothing is as good as the Bear.
  Now for the sad day.   Last night I noticed that I only had 3 good broadheads left and 4 that needed inserts.  With the Bear broadhead you have a main heavy blade that has a chisel tip and a small razor insert blade for cutting.  Stopped by the bow shop on the way home to have them order me some.  They had no listing?  >:(     I come by the mill and look on the internet and can only find a knock off for $40 bucks.  Not the same blade.  No inserts to be had.  I do not take change well.   Most of the blades I looked at on line are only in 100gr. or at best 125 gr.  Now all of my arrows are wrong and I will have to resight and learn to shoot all over again.  Change is not a good thing.   This will be worst then getting a new pup and having to start all over again.
   I do not ask for much!  I like my 30.06 and 150 gr. do a good job.  My .22 has taken many tree rats and bunnies while it is not shinny any more it is a good ole friend.  The old 870 20 ga. has taken so much game it would take a 18 wheeler to haul it all.  My bow has long since been out dated but twice last year it performed with out flaw.  It is easier to keep my wife then look for another.  She does well and I am used to her as well.  I like my old LT40 and though worn out does a fine job.  Change is hard for me.

Now I have to find a new broadhead and hope that by the time I get used to it they don't stop making it.
ARKANSAWYER

gary

I haven't had my bow out for quite a while, but I liked muzzy's

Bibbyman

Have you tried e-bay?

I put "archery bear broadheads" in the search and come up with 25 hits.  Some say 145 gr.  I don't know enough about broadheads to know if the one you're looking for is among them or not.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bitternut

I swear by Thunderheads in 85 grain. They shoot right through a deer and stick in the ground on the other side of the deer. A little touch up with a stone and they are ready to kill another deer. They also shoot to the same spot as my field points so I am able to sight in using field points knowing that when switching to broadheads my bow will still be sighted in.

beenthere

Arky
This site claims to have the bear 145 gr.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2782550&CAWELAID=354951880

Appears Amazon.com and Dicks Sporting Goods have them too.  But they do get $40 for 3.

I was going to look to see if I still have some.

I switched to 100gr with the new bow, and the change to carbon shaft arrows.

But know you'll make the switch if need be.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdtuttle

Nobody likes change but sometimes it works out. My old trusty bow broke a few years ago so I had to get a new one. I found a used Mathews Q2XL. It's fast quiet & reliable. About the same time I went to mechanical broadheads. (not trying to start a comparison with fixed) It's just what I did. They shoot the same as target arrows so no sighting in for broadheads. I've taken 10 deer with mechanicals & when I skin them out the entry hole is as large as the old fixed broadheads I used to use. Because I'm clumsy I don't have to worry as much about cutting my string or myself with the broadhead blades ;D.
So Arky maybe things will work out :)
Have a great day

ARKANSAWYER

Yea!  have seen them websites.  They are the knock offs.  Most of the ones on Ebay are the knockoffs as well.  I did find a old set of 125's but it is still a change.

I do like the look of the Muzzy G5's.  Any one using them?

The problem here is the ground is mostly rocks.  Shooting from a stand you will ruin a blade.  Most do not get two shots.  So for $13.30 it is getting pretty  high cost.  Used to get 3 blades in a pack  with 6 inserts for around $12.00.  I guess I will shoot till I am out of blades and in the mean time find something I can adapt to.
  Man the new bows are getting high cost.  :o
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

My dad hunted for years with bear broad heads WITHOUT the bleeders and never lost a deer that I can recall.  You can keep sharpening them and go that way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Arky
I have a dozen 145 grain three-blade (Game Tracker) that I will gladly send to you, if you can use them.
They have not been used, although some were shot at a foam target.

Also have three of the four-blade 150 gr

I do not plan to use them, and a good home is what they need.
:)

I can post pics if you would like. Others are welcome too, if Arky can't use them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADAMINMO

I may have some that my grandpa had from many years back. I will look and see what they are and if they are what you need Ill mail em to ya.

ARKANSAWYER

Beenthere that would be great!  They may be pretty close at least by weight.

2797 Hy 62 East
  Flippin, AR 72634

Adam  That would be great as well.  Hate to see good tools not be used. ;D

I had thought of using the ones with just the main blades.  I file them with a diamond hone so that they are razor sharp.  Have had them pass through deer and the deer turn around and smell the arrow before falling over.  It is I am in the Bull Shoals deer hunt and we can take all the deer we can so I want to do my part.
ARKANSAWYER

beenthere

On the way to the PO.

A few other odds and ends thrown in there too.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

ARKANSAWYER

WOW! Just like Christmas    8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
ARKANSAWYER

ADAMINMO

Since you dont like change and hunt archery old school I may have a few things to mail ya as well.I will see what I got ifin I dont forget. But bear with me if I do cause I dont want this stuff to go unused. I know my grandpa wouldnt either.

ARKANSAWYER

I am working on building my own bow and I have gotten some obsidian to knapp the points from.  Will have to come up with some Port Orford cedar to make the shafts from but using the wing feathers from the turkey I got last spring for the fletchings.  Just something I want to do.  Could be a skill that comes in handy some day.  I have taken deer with my old recurve but mostly use it to shoot fish now.  When shooting fish, compounds are not the best choice of sticks.
ARKANSAWYER

Larry

You might be interested in this article from Thursday's paper.

Hand-Crafted Wooden Arrows

Seems like those Bear broadheads turn up frequently in a little box at auctions...Kathy goes couple times a week so I clued her in...will see if she comes up with anything.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ARKANSAWYER

8)  8)  8)  8)    I got this really nice little box in the mail Tuesday from the State of WI.  Beenthere is the BEST!   I was the envy of the sawmill when I opened by box.  THANKS!

I will be able to stick deer all season now.  May not have to change for years.  I really do not like change.
ARKANSAWYER

crtreedude

Brings back memories boys. I have a bear compound I haven't used in probably 10 years now. Well, I do tease our workers with it since none of them can pull it.  :D Ticos run small.

I really should check out the hunting laws down here, with nearly 800 acres we have a lot of potential. Deer are pretty scarce, nearly endangered for the same reasons that they were up North but they care making a comeback in some areas, like our plantations. They really like Roble Coral (a kind of oak) for example.  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

ADAMINMO

I looked at the stuff I had and none of it is of any use. it is all old rusted and heavily used blades my grandpa used when he hunted alot. Sorry but I did give it a look to see if it was any good.

Thank You Sponsors!