iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bird peck poplar?

Started by tyb525, September 16, 2009, 06:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I was gluing up some tulip poplar panels, and when sorting through all my poplar I cut back in March, I remembered that one tree was full of this figure. I have maybe 250+ bd ft of it, with boards from 14" down to 5". This figure is throughout the sap and heart.

What I want to know is if this is worth any more than plain, clear tulip poplar, or if it just looks nice? :)
Does this have a name? I could only think of bird peck.
Also they did not chip out at all while planing or cutting.

Wetted down with mineral spirits.

Board next to it was from a different tree without the figure.

Close up of last picture.

Thank you for your thoughts :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kansas

We don't have poplar here, but that definitely looks figured. We always pull out good figure and sell it at a premium. I would isolate it and mark it up.

tyb525

I think it might be "bird peck" as there were "rings" of holes in the bark around the trunk, spaced almost perfectly a couple inches apart, going all the way up the tree.

There was no rot, and I don't think those are knots by any means. I can picture a woodpecker pecking holes around the trunk, then moving up a couple inches, and repeating all the up the tree.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dodgy Loner

Very cool, Ty! I would definitely think you could sell boards like that for a premium, especially on a site like eBay where you could have lots of buyers look at it. Bird peck seems like a suitable name for that figure. It does sound like it was caused by woodpeckers.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Sprucegum

We have little birds called "sapsuckers" that peck series of holes in the bark like you described. I never thought of looking for such figuring in the wood! But then polpar doesn't get much respect around here  :-\  You bet I will be looking  :)

TheWoodsman

Try the Buy and Sell section over at www.woodnet.net  There are lots of wood butchers that might be interested.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

HOOF-ER

Ty you are correct that is the work of a yellow bellied sapsucker
I have my eye on a tree that is exactly like yours. It also is a tulip poplar.
Amazing what nature can produce. I was wondering what the lumber would look like. Thanks for look, now I can only hope to get ahold of that tree someday!
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Thank You Sponsors!