iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Thinning a Pine Plantation in the South

Started by WDH, September 15, 2009, 09:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Shaffer

WDH

The one you see used the most around here is made by Tigercat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

enigmaT120

Wow, most of my fir trees don't even grow that fast.  He's doing a nice clean job on the thinning, too. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Southside

WDH - impressive job there for sure, but I have to say I love the bloodhound, lost my boy back this summer at 11. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Yes, I miss Miss Scarlet.  She was my sawmill and woods dog.  She was always so happy.  Hard to believe that she has been gone almost 5 years.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Looks good!  I no like to mark first thinnings, Id rather have that middle to walk in   :D  You marked it I assume?

WDH

No, I did not mark this stand.  It was operator select.  This was a very good logger.

Peter Drouin

Nice job. It; s funny to see trees in a row. We have some like that . I only know of one place that has rows of trees. All red pine , back in the day was for ATT poles. Our tree farms here are wild forest thinned out.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GATreeGrower

Then yes it is a great job.  They took their time with it.

GATreeGrower

And cant blame you marking first thinnings sucks if you aint workin behind a cut down machine  :D

WDH

I have marked some before in free thins where there are no cut-down rows taken out. 

Wudman

WDH,

Have you ever seen the CSI flail delimber in action?  I prefer it to the Chambers.  It is a highly productive machine and causes much less stem damage than the Chambers.  I have a handfull of producers running them now.  One of the local loggers designed it, but they have not been highly successful in marketing it.  Take a look online if you haven't seen one in operation.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

GATreeGrower

For me its not so much having the space, but the machine usually tears down the worst of the bamboo vines

WDH

Wudman,

I have not seen the pull thru-flail combo in action.  Is it mainly for first thinnings?

WDH

If you look back on this thread, these loblolly pines were planted in 1998, so they were in their 12th year at 1st thinning in 2009, which was the basis for this original thread.  Now these trees are in their 21st year and are being thinned for a 2nd time.  Average diameter of the leave trees is between 12" and 14" in DBH.  Here is a look at the pre-thin stocking on May 10, 2018.

Same logger as last time in 2009.  Same loading ramp.

Post thin stocking target is 50 to 60 square feet of basal area.  This stocking is lower than most Foresters have been historically been comfortable with, but I am more aggressive than most.  I want fewer, larger trees, less pulpwood, more future sawlogs.  Remember that the 1st thinning was also at this lower stocking, so the diameters in this stand are already much larger than with the conventional approach.

Skeans1

Looks like about what we do in the PNW lots of first thinnings at 180 to an acre some are 160 an acre some areas will be lighter to weed out the pulp. The main difference is there's not much tree length thinning done anymore.

SwampDonkey

Nice job. After each thinning, the woods appear more mature after a spell.  As a comparison, I would have 6-8" balsam fir in 25 years, if spaced 5-7'. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

It's interesting how the different regimes work. Locally no one does commercial thinning. The pines are planted close, heavily pruned for the first few years, then thinned to waste at 8-10 years. Final stocking at that point. You might be dropping 12" trees and leaving them to rot, but they are only pulp grade, and not worth the harvest is that's all you have.  Also most of the plantations are on steeper ground, which makes any harvest more difficult. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Matt601

Are they 10 inch at 16 foot? Looks like they are I get a many saw logs out of that the tops pulpwood.
No matter where you go there you are!!!

SwampDonkey

A 12" spruce is studwood up here, tops down to 2-1/2-4" and sawdust for pulp. If there is a pulp glut than yes it could be left, but I have seen piles and piles sit for weeks then all the sudden move to the mill.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Matt601

No matter where you go there you are!!!

nativewolf

Nice to see such a well burned stand, WDH must own a good drip torch 8)
Liking Walnut

caveman

Poston mixes drip torch fuel by the truck tank full.
Caveman

barbender

WDH, I hear from folks on the ground in your neck of the woods that there is going to be another push for cut to length down there.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!