iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Fans

Started by firewolf, September 15, 2009, 06:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firewolf

I have been here before and learned many things from you guys.. and now I am in need of your help..
I dry firewood in my home made kiln 48ft insulated trailer I put 4 open vents on the outside edges the kiln is heated by my outdoor furnace - goes to a large fan forced modine heat exchanger.. I also have 3 large box fans 4 blade-1hp 110v
the problem I am having is when the kiln gets hot maximum temp my fans trip the power and presto -- no air movement
is there a fan that i can use to replace the 3 box fans with higher cfm? I dont't have 3 phase so it has to single..
I know I can mount the motor on the outside --- but then it's prone to leaks..
let me kow if you can help ;D

jim king

I would suggest mounting the motor outside.  You are not worried about case hardening or any other problem as in lumber.  Just give the firewood all the air velocity you can and get the stuff dry as fast as possible.

Wouldnt it be easier to cut it the prior winter and let it air dry stacks until the following fall as was done years ago ?¿

firewolf

Quote from: jim king on September 16, 2009, 09:11:38 PM

Wouldnt it be easier to cut it the prior winter and let it air dry stacks until the following fall as was done years ago ?¿

Yes it would be easier /But I sell the wood to my customers  for a prem.
also getting logs for wood this year has been a real battle .. so not much stacked -seasoned wood -!
Firewood + Kiln Dried = $$$

firewolf

this is a pic of the heat exchanger & firewood in baskets

scsmith42

You might consider contacting Nyle, they sell fans and motors specifically selected for this purpose.  Their prices are pretty fair, too.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

TheWoodsman

Yep.  Use kiln fans.  They're made to withstand more heat.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

solidwoods

IRSauctions has fans with the motor mounted via belt on the outside.
Just go home page, search all auctions and check the misc. box
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

firewolf

Quote from: solidwoods on September 20, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
IRSauctions has fans with the motor mounted via belt on the outside.
Just go home page, search all auctions and check the misc. box
jim

Thanks for the info.

James P.

Hi Firewolf, just curious but do you stack those basket for higher volume. I have some similiar baskets I use ,but I just air dry. Think it would be interseting and more efficient if you could somehow organize the firewood for best airflow and volume. Just thinking it would mean more labor . If  you used a layered racking sytem , like a large convection oven but much larger,that could roll in or forklift. Good luck with your endeavor. P.S. that is a sweet heat exchanger.
James P.

Thank You Sponsors!