iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Virus source: intelos.net Familiar? CLICK HERE!

Started by Jeff, September 10, 2003, 04:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

I've been noticing some sites on the web are terribly slow. This site and ebay seem to be awful slow. Is it because of these viruses? I have not been getting much for emails throughout this ordeal. I think my email provider has very good protection.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Jeff

More then likely its not the sites but the road to the site. That email is still recieved by your ISP, but filtered. All that email clogs the information highway and slows it down. If we or ebay happen to be on the other side of one of those "road blocks" we appear slow.

Here is something anyone, or most anyone can do with windows to try to trace a problem. Its called a trace route.  Go to start, programs, and find MSDOS Prompt. Open that and type:
tracert forestryforum.com

or what ever address is slow and hit enter. make sure NOT to include the www. You can then watch the hops that the data has to make from you to that final destination. In the forums case, if you start getting time outs before you hit dallas the problem is probably inbetween.

A time out will be an asterik  *

As I type this, the forum is lighting fast here. I have not gotten one of those nasty emails in 3 or 4 days.

Another thing. If your connection seems very slow, there is a chance YOU might be sending virus emails clogging up your own bandwidth.  When I say You I don't mean anyone in particular. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

How come you don't use the "www"?  I was told to enter the whole thing by my first provider and have been doing so ever since.  Maybe that's why I don't record all the time-outs when things are slow. :-X

Jeff

I was always taught not to do it on a trace rt or ping

Tom

I was told not to put a space before rt too.  tracert  www.forestryforum.com is what they said to enter.  Except they had me entering one of their sites.

I click on Start, then on Run, then type command in the little box and that brings up a little black screen on my monitor.  After the line that reads C:\windows\Desktop> I write my command and hit enter on the keyboard.

tracert forestryforum.com      
trace rt forestryforum.com  ?

Mine looks like this:

C:\windows\Desktop>tracert www.forestryforum.com

If I do what you say, then it would look like this:

C:\windows\Desktop>trace rt forestryforum.com

I think I'll play around with it some and see if I can see a difference.  It can't hurt anything and it's fun seeing all the towns and stops the message makes on its journey.  Each website is so different.

biziedizie

Jeff that's cool that anyone can trace what's happening, I never knew that it could be done in dos.
  My puter buddy has this thing on his puter that shows a world globe and all the cities and just where his e-mails are going and how they get bounced around. It's very cool to watch :)

Steve

Jeff

Tom, typo, I had fixed it well before you replied. :)

Tom

Oh!, OK.  then there isn't a space between them.  It outa look kinda like this, eh?

C:\windows\Desktop>tracert forestryforum.com

Gus

Jeff,
I did a trace on the site and ended up with an asterik right out of the gate and it timed out continually from 13 to the end. I tried a site that seem to work ok and didn't get an asterik until line 15 and line 16 timed out. Tried the forum again. AHH there seems to be a pattern forming here. Seems I am getting to a spot called "verio.net" and it times out there or just before there. Hmmmm :-/ very interesting.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Jeff

Yep, apparantly you have a road block. Really, most of the time the forum just hums along. Problem is there are a lot of routes here depending on where you are at, and a lot of potential stumbling blocks. So at any given time, someone, somewhere is experiencing a slowdown or a problem.  The forum sever we figured, is capable of handling up to a million hits per day, so traffic is not a problem. Usually its a tie up inbetween. :)

Fla._Deadheader

DanG *(&%#@!$&(_+(&^$#@^*)STINKIN (*^%$##$^(__*&%$ isp. Went to reply and got booted off line AGAIN >:( >:(
  Happens about 10-20 times a day ::) ::)

ENNYHOO, Then I must have some bridges washed out on my cyber highway. Sometimes, it takes a full 2 minutes to load a thread. ::) ::) ::) It's always fairly slow. I'm gettin DSL next week 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin_H.

harold,
got hooked up to DSL a couple of days ago, Only problem I had was getting the software driver for the new eithernet card to down load.

But man talk about fast, I click on a thread and Bam! (got that from emeril) there it is, you will like it.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Fla._Deadheader

Boy I hope so. Been knocked off 7 times since 6PM. ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Wenrich

What difference would one of those accelerators make?  They're advertised to make up to 300% faster.  But, that doesn't mean it will make mine 300% faster.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience.  I'm not ready for DSL.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

What a web accelerater does is give you the illusion of speed. Its a browser plug-in that actually starts preloading all the links from within the web page you are viewing. Usually after a page loads, you have moments of non-activity in data movement. The web accelerates take advantage of those times and tries to anticipate your next click.

Fla._Deadheader

Illusions, is that the same thing as Hallucinations ::) ::)  I get them all the time ;D ;D
Tried to download Earthlink's last night. Sat up till 12:53 and found that, after 2½ hrs, it stopped transferring info.  ::) ::)

First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin_H.

Doesn't some of your download speed also depend on the speed of the server hosting the web site?

Even now some web pages are still a little slower than others.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

yes, the speed at the other end has a lot to do with it.

Thank You Sponsors!