iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E Classic 2300 Turbulator Cleaning

Started by MudBud, September 12, 2009, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudBud

Does anyone have a recommended solution to cleaning the creosote from the turbulator housing tubes besides the crap brush they want you to use?

Thanks, Keith

muckamuck

firechief

I'm with ya Keith.  I went out yesterday with only a week using my new 2300, tried to clean out using the brush they give you.
I put it down about six inches into the tube and it was everything I had to get it back out.  I'm concerned I won't be able to clean these things out without another method.  I don't believe I can duplicate muckamucks idea for reamer.  There must be a better way besides that brush.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks

Jim

MudBud

Yes, last year burning mostly pine I never cleaned mine at all...what a mistake.  During the summer I tried and couldn't get the brush down any further than 6" without getting stuck.  However my dealer said to do it after its been running for a couple weeks and it has a tendency to loosen up the crap.  You will never get rid of the hardened creosote, however 6" at a time down and out works well.  You will also notice that the first 6" and the bottom 6" are the worse.  It took me about 15-20 minutes per hole to ge tthe brush through it.  i do it every other week and spend 3 minutes per hole.

Muck does have a useful tool and will try and duplicate, however I would rather have a power tool, borer do it for me.  Thats my goal developing something for the end of a powerful drill.

Keith

firechief

Thanks for the info Keith.
I think the power drill may be the ticket if something could be rigged up.

Jim

JJ

Hi Firechief,
About the wire brush:
"I put it down about six inches into the tube and it was everything I had to get it back out"
You have to push it all the way through, like cleaing a gun with brush.
If you do not push all the way through, the wires are all pointing back up the tube like barbs, and dig into the wall.
I am supprised you could pull it out.

One issue I find is brush gets into wrong hole after pushing all the way through; cross-threaded, as the shaft is small enough to make it through the gap between the tubes.
When this happens, I have to reach into reaction chamber and line up the brush with correct tube.

JJ

firechief

Thanks JJ
I guess I was trying to do small amounts at a time.  When the first 6 inches wasn't working I thought it would be best not to continue.  I'm working on rigging something up with the drill.  Too bad the manual doesn't give  better detailed instructions on cleaning these.  Also, is there a cross section that shows these "holes" you're talking about?

Thanks,
Jim

spacedog

I was cleaning my furnance yesterday and noticed that the turbulators were starting to pit and flake on the bottoms.  I can see where if this continues they are going to begin to get shorter and shorter.  Anyone had similar problems?

MudBud

I haven't, however I can imagine CB will call this a consumer replaceable item.

superwd6

JJ you are right about getting the brush unstuck.    I have been a gas and oil furnace tech since 1990 and these problems are similar on other equiptment as well. Hard to stop the potty mouth when the brush is stuck :D
     the turbulators will flake and pit as do all gas and oil boilers with the same design. Make sure you keep your reaction chamber clean as when it gets high levels of ash the fire coming down from gasification will curl right up the turbulators and overheat the metal  of them--- my manual says to check weekly and then clean accordingly. I do mine about every 6 days

Dean186

I find it interesting that Central Boiler left the turbulators/blades out of the E-Classic 1400.  Yet the E-classic 1400 is rated with the same efficiency as the E-Classic 2300 and has a higher maximum BTU output rating.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this difference.

Dean

superwd6

1400 says 84% and 2300 is 85% , not much different but certainly in the design of the new unit. The 1400 may have a slightly higher output but for only 4 hours of burn time compared to almost 8 on the 2300.
    My most HATED Vermount Castings POS wood stove gave good burn time but I could sit my bare a$$ on the thing while it was doing it .  >:(  The decision the go with boiler was after watching a friend load his Classic with his 8pm then his 10pm then his 12am,3am,7am and not ounce , did he get out of bed or have to leave the door open to relight the fire after the wood you put in 3 hours earlier was completly gone,, AND the furnace is still running >:(..
    Eclassis 2300==  8)   smiley_thumbsup_grin

Thank You Sponsors!