iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Allways in the back of my mind

Started by tree-farmer, September 12, 2009, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

Now that is getting close to the time of year that I get serious about cutting firewood, and chainsaw use is called for. I think back to when one of our old  laying hens got worked over by a dog. As a result she had about a 4 inch gaping wound in her side. I was going to finish her off and give her a memorial service with dumplings, but my wife interviened and said she wanted to try and save her. She proceeded to take this poor bird into the house, wash her down in the kitchen sink and sew her up with a carpet needle and dental floss thread.
After seeing that I figure if I ever get cut with my saw I will crawl off this mountain, before I go anywhere near my wife and her sewing kit. ;D
(the chicken lived by the way)
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

pasbuild

When I was just a kid working in the woods with my cousins one of my cousins (Dave) swung the saw around after a cut and nipped my other cousins (Art) knee leaving a cut about ΒΌ X 2
At the time the town doc was quite old and shook so bad that his wife would have to give any shots that were required. Dave was going to take Art into town and have old doc Green sew him up but Art figured that old doc Green would hurt him more then the saw did so he went back to camp and sewed himself up. He was back to work in an hours time.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Onthesauk

I grew up hearing the story of my grandfather cutting a 90 degree flap in his cheek when he was out fencing.  Story goes that he stood in front of the mirror and sewed it up himself.  Tough Swede!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

WH_Conley

Did I mention that I think my name would have to be Candy?
Bill

Handy Andy

My mom told me a story about my grandpa.  He died when I was 7, so didn't know him well.  He got a tooth ache, and pulled his own tooth with pliers. He was Scottish.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Banjo picker

Theys times when you just cant go to the Dr...they want to ask questions on how this happened.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Don_Papenburg

Duct tape is bettern stitches  . Cost less and don't leave them track an ties look after the fact.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Radar67

Super glue is better than duct tape and the docs are using it to close wounds in the OR.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Woodwalker

Anybody that is tough enough to stitch up there own wounds are pretty tough folks in my book. Bout two years ago I was doing some edging on the mill. In the process of setting a slab down on the mill I didn't move a hand quick enough. Sat a 2 X 12 X 12 Red Oak slab down on the tip of my ring finger on my left hand.  Talk about a pinch point, almost pinched the tip, finger print end of that finger off. Went to an Emergency room and the Doc there was pretty good, but the Doc and I did have a talk about 8 or 10 stitches into the procedure.
For me, 2 shots of novocaine just wasn't doing the trick. The Doc was all intent on stitching back on something I figured was going to be cut off. He was sewing, twisting and turning and pulling on that needle like someone doing fine cross-stitch. What he wasn't paying attention to was that he was also hitting every nerve ending in that finger.
Now me, I was a hurting. I was squirming, holding the hurt hand with the good one and sweat was running down my face like I was working out. Finally, I reached a point where I stopped him, told to either give the finger another shoot of something to deaden it, move out of the way and let me leave, or I was going to knock the daylights out of him. Take his pick.
He had his mouth open with a look of bewilderment about him. I'm not one to threaten someone, but I guess he figured I was serious, I got another shoot. He finished up with a total of 20 stitches. All in an elongated half moon wound on the fingertip before the first joint. He was good, the stitching took, all I've lost is some feeling in the fingertip. Wonder if he knew about Super glue and Duck tape?
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Mooseherder

I've used Super Glue for a deep gash I got in the meat between the thumb and index finger. :-X
It worked great when I needed stitches and getting them would have got me in trouble with the company because you weren't supposed to be doing what I was doing. ;D   I was cutting 4 inch pvc pipe on a Meat Bandsaw.  They use these pieces on the End Caps to build displays.  Was almost done cutting a few hundred pieces when I got interupted.  When I started over and not holding the pipe firmly enough it spun when it hit the blade.  The bad part was my thumb was on the inside of the pipe when it spun. :'(
DanG fool  almost lost a thumb that day.  No sign of it ever happened now.

IMERC

super glue...
duct tape...
or a Bostitch clinching stapler...

hold the needle and thread...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

JJ

Only the real tough use fish hooks to close wounds.

JJ

IMERC

Quote from: JJ on September 19, 2009, 11:27:14 AM
Only the real tough use fish hooks to close wounds.

JJ

I had that all wrong..

been using them for years to open them...

now some of ya remember using those huge jungle ants as stitches..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

WildDog

Yrs ago I had my horse kick out when I was putting a new shoe on her. The nail went into he flesh at my knuckle where it meats the hand and tore back an inch. Because the river was in a big flood I couldn't get to town, I rang my mum and she said it should be sewn up within 24hrs so  use the dental floss and needle from the shearing shed, it took me a while but worked well.

My son cut the back of his head open and we couldn't get him to town either, the Doctor said if he's got longish hair tie tight knots to pull the cut together, we did this and the results were really good, better then stitches.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

rebocardo

My daughter had the tip of her finger almost cut completely off by my son using scissors. After waiting for six hours in the ER, I had to do something (yea, they tried to charge me for the hospital "visit"). So, I took her home, cleaned the wound with water and alcohol and super glued it. Then took her to the health care plan doctor for shots the next day.

Getting her back together hurt me more then her  :-\

Doctor started to hassle me about how I shouldn't have done it.

So, I wanted to know (I knew - 8 hours), when does gangrene set in and should I have waited until it did. Then I asked her, if I did it correctly, which I had.

Thank You Sponsors!