iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

elm

Started by duke401, September 09, 2003, 09:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke401

i was cutting a black elm today, i thought but inside it was more pink an red is this what you guys call a red elm. we always called them american elm here in ws kan,sure is pretty wood though.
duke

Bro. Noble

The American elms were the trees that Dutch Elm disease eliminated.  Around here that left us with Red Elms,  Slippery Elms,  and pith Elums  :D :D :D    I don't know but what they are the same thing.  They aren't my favorite tree.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

duke401

these trees have a leaf that is 4 inches long an 2.5 to 3 inches wide an the bark is black, we have them wounderful pith elms too. these that are black an are sturdy an DONT  drop many limbs,i am going to have to figure out this dang dig. camera  someday. this one died a year ago an was 56 inches across the stump [my dad carried water to it with a horse in the twentys ]that is why i wanted a few boards off of it.i think i will cut the whole tree now, i have been cutting 100 year old walnuts an this wood is just as pretty. we callem american elm, the wood is pink to red  the bark is black , does this sound like a red elm
duke

RMay

duke401 it my be slippery elm its  local name is red elm , is the leaves rough on both sides if it is its slippery elm . the wood is dark brown or red with thin lighter colored sapwood .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

ARKANSAWYER

Them &^#%$^(*($N $(#&$*   #$(*(#(*$   *(&&#$()()%%  elms are *#@%&(@!(   #@(#@()$^^% (&*#*@&  !  And that is all I am going to say about elms.
ARKANSAWYER ;D
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

Slippery elm has an inner bark layer that will easily peel off of the smaller twigs, leaving the wood smooth and clean.  If we find one around here we use it for marshmallow roasting over the bonfire because the bark removes so cleanly.  Although with our fires you need a really long stick. :D

I believe slippery elm also has some medicinal purpose for upset stomache or ???

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/e/elmsli09.html
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

Here's a piece of Elm that I split
in two for my buddy, James, who
makes rustic furniture.

He considers it a real treasure.  

It's been sitting in his wood shop
for six or seven years now waiting
for that "special" place.

dail_h

Arky ,
Apparently really likes elm.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

shopteacher

I've had some elm that looked like the feathers on a pheasant, beautiful.  Hard material to work with though, even after its been dried its hard to tell just what it will do.  I suppose if you quartersawn it, it might help.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Larry

You guys may not believe this but red elm makes the best firewood you can get.  It actually makes clinkers in the woodstove.  Completely different from P*** elm and slippery elm which goes puf in the stove.  I have sawed a little of it.  Very hard and warps like crazy when it dries but it is well worth the effort.  They used to make hubs out of it for covered wagons heading west on the Santa Fe Trail out of St Joseph.  It is really rare to find any now just because it is such good firewood.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Gus

I've seen alot of trailer and truck decks made from elm. very flexable and stout.
gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Norm

Most of the elm here is pith elm or chinese elm. They are a real pain in the a$$. They get about 40' tall and then die shedding branches in the fields. When the combine goes through in the fall they are tough to digest.

I was curious which elm is classified as red elm, my tree book shows slippery elm and red elm are the same. We have them in our woods and they are huge. A lot of them are dieing, are they susceptible to the same diease as what killed off the american elm?

RMay

Norm-F we have two diseases  Dutch elm disease & elm phloem necrosis . the elm phloem necrosis is common on winged and American elms , but attacks all elms .  :)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

duke401

i still think these are american elms, one of these dayes i will try [again] to post a picture of them we dont have many left. as far as shade these big leaf elems are some of the best.
duke

RMay

Duke the only way I can tell American from Slippery is from the leaves , the look almost the same  ::)

Norm

Thanks RMay, it's funny how they just up and die. We have one on the edge of a field that must be 60-80'. This spring it didn't leaf out and is deader than a doorknob.

The local county forester said it was hard to tell one elm from another around here as they interbreed and you get hybrids. Personally I think he just doesn't know elms that well. ;)

Hannah

According to MICHIGAN TREES (U of M Press) both Am. elm and rock elm have alternating whitish and brown layers in the outer bark.  Red elm does not.  

Felling a red elm results in lots of sap pouring out. Enough to drink!

Hannah

shopteacher

Sawed this elm yesterday. Got it from a tree trimmer.
Only had six nails in it.
 It was dead on the stump. I don't know what kind of elm it is, but  a cabinetmaker  stopped while I was sawing it and he said it looked like gray elm, course I wouldn't put to much stock in his observation. He stopped to buy some maple and thought a pile of spruce was silver leaf. :D :D I don't think I'l ask him to build me any cabinets any to soon. :o

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Kevin

Here's some Canadian Elm ;D done up with ye ole chainsaw mill.

BW_Williams

Shopteacher, I sawwed some Elm that looked like yours it had been laying on the ground for 12 years and was still sound in the middle.  It had alot of small knots and was very pretty planed up.  Had no problem selling it a for buck a foot, called birds eye elm.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

blue_eyed_devil

Hey Kevin
Is that Rock Elm your showing?I remember cutting the deseased killed for firewood as a boy going up in southern Ontario.Not hard to see where they got the name eh???
Just wondered if it grew that far north.It must be a rare species now!
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

Kevin

I think it may have been a white elm.
It was growing in a farmers field, he had it cut down and called me and asked if I would like the wood to mill.

duke401

how many kinds of elm are there?
duke

blue_eyed_devil

15 to 18 different types, but up to 150 species in Elm Family.
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

breederman

I worked for a farmer one time cutting out hedge rows for fire wood. He was getting some conservation money for removing stone walls and the stuff that we call hedge rows. Anyway they were full of elm, couldnt split it until temp got below zero.Put it in the shed and the stuff don't burn,only smokes and I m not sure it would burn you if you held your hand in the flame. :o

Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!