iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The ground is getting harder!

Started by Banjo picker, September 09, 2009, 11:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

We went horseback riding this past week with a bunch of friends over in Al....Beautiful secenry.  My mare spooked an put me on the ground.  It was in deep sand but boy was I sore for 3 or 4 days.  I think she must of seen a snake--only time I ever seen her do any thing like that.  I rode her for two days after that and had no more incidents...don't think I could have stood for any thing else. :D  I am going to break a 3 year old starting next week.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

Any plans on coming up this way Tim ???  I could use you on breaking one in here ...  ;D  I'll suply da coffe and aiggs .  ;) smiley_mellow
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

There ain't no doubt that the ground is getting stiffer.  I think they call it "Global Hardening."  Maybe you otter break that 3 y.o. to a buggy. ;D :D

That reminds me of once when I was about your age, and shopping for a horse.  We went to check out this QH mare that was for sale.  Everything was looking good as we saddled her up so I could go for a little spin.  I took her for a couple of turns around the yard, and it was obvious that she was yearning for a little gallop.  We had about a hundred yards of nice smooth lawn ahead, so I let her do her thing.  She had a V8 under the hood!  Real shortly we started approaching the end of that lawn, so I leaned back and tightened up the rein a bit.  That's when I learned about the power brakes!  The owner hadn't told me that she had been trained as a "reining" horse, she may not have even known it.  Anyway, when I gave the signal, the horse went into one of those sliding stops where her butt was almost on the ground and all four brakes were locked up.  That was a bit of a surprise, but I was up for it until the right stirrup leather on that old saddle broke.  I want to tell you, I went for a spin sure enough, after that.  Like a frisbee I was, out across that lawn.  Landed flat on my back on some of the hardest dirt I ever saw, and bounced like a basketball! :D :D  The horse walked over and looked down at me as if to say, "What the hell happened to you?"  I decided that she was a little bit more horse than I was looking for. ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

I have found that I don't bounce near as well as I used to. :(
Bill

SwampDonkey

I found it was darn hard enough when I was twelve. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

SD,  so what happened ?

When I was 11,  my aunt and Mom wanted to dig a tree and sent me for a shovel which I tied on the saddle , which got to flappin' after a bit and spooked old Eddie, (named after Grandpa who'd got him for us).

He bolted, took a hard right  as he went over a ridge and I floated off and "snap".

Broken femur ,  nine weeks traction and 11 weeks in a body cast.  Only time I ever made straight A's!

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Cousins had a pony that liked to through ya. Of course they got a kick out of it after someone got tossed. So I told them to keep the pony on their side of the fence, I'll walk from here out.  All bones and organs in tact. Soon as all of us quit looking for a ride, they lost their little side show and a few months down the road and the pony novelty waned to the point it was sold. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

I jumped the gun on waiting till next week.  Bobby and I had worked on his house pretty much all week.  So on fri. evening we quit a little early and I laxed back a little if you know what I mean... I decided to take a ride around the fence line on the rtv, but as I went by the barn , Josie the 3 year old was painfully close to the barn.  So i just motioned for her to come on up...and by golly she did...I knew this ment today was the day.. ;D  I got out my Noaval headstall I start young ens on, and put it on her...no prob....I saddled her...no prob...I had had the saddle on before a while back one time...I got on ...no prob....I sat there for a while, called Debbie to take a pict....then asked the little girl to load in the trailer...she did that too.......I believe she will make a good horse.....Debbie had bought her while I was on a job in La.  I guess she did good...

Marcel I do know some friends who live in Crememore Ont.   They run a brewery up there.  How far are you from them?   Don't think I would want to take a chance on breaking a horse if I got up there though...although the coffie sounds good....

Global hardining  ;)  now thats what I'm talking about.  Who would have come up with that but you ....I might be caught plagerizing that a while from now....if you don't mind Dang..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

Tim , I have no idea where Crememore is , and well , neither does google ..  ::) :D  Oh and I will wait till there is about three feet of snow and take her out ... dats Global softening da landing  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

scgargoyle

Global Hardening?!  :o Does Al Gore know about this?  :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

nas

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 11, 2009, 08:22:37 PM

Marcel I do know some friends who live in Crememore Ont.   They run a brewery up there.  How far are you from them?   Don't think I would want to take a chance on breaking a horse if I got up there though...although the coffie sounds good....

Tim
If your friends run Creemore springs brewery I want you to introduce me.  Thats some good brew smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast  Maybe they can become a sponsor. 8)  They are just a couple hours north of me.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

easymoney

when i was about 9 years old a buddy of mine had been riding an old horse bare back he invited me to ride with him. i climbed on could not find anything to hold on to and slid off the other side. i have not tried to ride a horse since. i guess at 70 i am too old to learn now.

WH_Conley

Bill

Banjo picker

Quote from: nas on September 12, 2009, 08:31:46 PM
Quote from: Banjo picker on September 11, 2009, 08:22:37 PM

Tim
If your friends run Creemore springs brewery I want you to introduce me.  Thats some good brew smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast  Maybe they can become a sponsor. 8)  They are just a couple hours north of me.

Nick

Thats the one .  Have you tried the dark special run they put out around Christmas Time...Man thats some gooooood stuff.  Some of our friends that live in Russilvelle Al has a brother thats one of the head cheeses up there.  I have rode with him and his wife when they were down for a visit and even floated the Buffallo River once.   Its kind of hard to get that brew down here, and when it makes it folks tend to be a mite stingy with it. :D 
Quote from: isawlogs on September 11, 2009, 10:00:21 PM

Tim , I have no idea where Crememore is , and well , neither does google ..  ::) :D  Oh and I will wait till there is about three feet of snow and take her out ... dats Global softening da landing  ;D

Marcel I think from the other post there I may have mispelled it a tad..imagine that you know I nevar mispell something.....And on that three feet of snow....I will have to winter with you to see that...I am 53 and I may have never seen three feet of snow on this piece of ground in my life combined.. ;)  I do rember 11 or 12 inches once...there are years that you may only get a dusting of accumalition.    We live in the no snow zone....I have seen it snow in Jackson Ms...200 miles or so south of here or in Atlanta Ga but not here....It will snow in Memphis Tn which is about due west 100 miles....but by the time it gets here the conditions are not right for the white stuff....I have found that while I like to see it fall and to look at for a few hours...I get tired of it pretty quick....Tim

fishpharmer

" I have found that while I like to see it fall and to look at for a few hours...I get tired of it pretty quick....Tim"

Tim, I gotta disagree.  The very best snow is in pictures and on TV  ;D

Although, you might learn to like riding in snow if that mare spooks more often :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

nas

Tim

That brew would be the Urbock, it is one of my favorites.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Banjo picker

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 10, 2009, 12:00:44 AM
I have found that I don't bounce near as well as I used to. :(

WH you and i are the same age...you got that right about the bounce ....my left shoulder is still sore....
Quote from: easymoney on September 12, 2009, 09:29:31 PM
when i was about 9 years old a buddy of mine had been riding an old horse bare back he invited me to ride with him. i climbed on could not find anything to hold on to and slid off the other side. i have not tried to ride a horse since. i guess at 70 i am too old to learn now.

You would need something like Debbie's ole buckskin...about as bomb proof as you can get on 4 leggs...an still no guarantee... ;)

There is something about being on horseback...even with global harding an all.... ;D  Tim

SwampDonkey

Felt like global freezing yesterday morning, white frost on everything in the outback and the fog even froze up my throttle on the saw on the commute. Turned out to be a nice day and got up to 65 F.

Banjo picker

Its cooled off a little down here, but nothing major...still fairly hot..Tim

Magicman

Tim, I guess that you are also getting rain almost every day.  At least our ground is soft enough for me to get my food plots disked up and ready to plant around the end of the month. (army worm threat now).  This week has been easy, jury duty, but I have a big oak job for next week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Lord yes on the rain....I was on the knuckleboom a little bit ago and it started raining its brains out....I was just straightening up a bit as we had put in a pretty good week...I had my son Bobby on the FEL feeding the mill and he had let the stacks of logs by the boom get sorta jumbled up a bit too much...By the time it quit raining I had it looking pretty good...glad it has a cab. ;)   The rain is helping my pastures green up good...If you ever get up this way ...give me a hollar...Tim

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 18, 2009, 03:28:15 PM
If you ever get up this way ...give me a hollar...Tim

And I will.  I spoke with Fishpharmer this AM.  We are planning on meeting Monday for a "hello".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

You will like James, and if you are going to his neck of the woods...he knows where to eat. :D :D  Guess what it will be?  Tim

Thank You Sponsors!