iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to help out an older friend...

Started by green-go, September 07, 2009, 09:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green-go

Hi all, my neighbor is an older and very retired guy that has been involved in forestry all his life.  He owns two sawmills, one he keeps at a local historical farm/village and the other at his home right near me.  He is trying to sell the mill at his home and I am afraid he might not be asking enough for it.  I am here to get opinions on what he should ask for the whole outfit and what it's value might be.  Here is an abbreviated version of what is for sale:

Frick Sawmill O
20' carriage, track to track 36"
6 head blocks, opens 36"
log cleaner
371 GM 3 cylinder Diesel
52" Simonds saw
lumber rollers

It has never been in the rain and is in good solid working order.  We live in Lancaster, PA where the Dutch heritage is strong and pride in ownership means alot.  I will try to upload some pictures. 

Any ideas on it's value will be very appreciated and I will pass the info on (they are old enough that they will never get a computer...).  Thank You.

Greg.

James P.

Hi not familiar with alot of sawmills and frick is one. I know they are well made . I think if its all in good working order no less than 3500 probaly worth more but I don't know the difference in model #s the detroit if in good running order is worth no less than a 1,000 and with a good pto 1500 and up. You might take some pics so folks can give you a better appraisal.  Nothing wrong with someone getting something for less than its worth. Things tend to go that way for all of us one time or another. When I sell something. If I sell it for what I want I don't care what the other guy thinks its worth. Even if it 5 times more than what I asked. I am satisfied. Good luck
James P

Chico

I agree with James 3500 in good cond is a decent maybe even strong price rt now tho location can play a role in it jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

green-go

Thank you, that is a big help.  Unfortunately, he was hoping for $6000.  Wouldn't be a big deal, but I think they need all the money they can get.

I will try to take some "smaller" pics tomorrow and get them posted.  The ones I have now are too big to upload I think.

Radar67

Give the java uploader a go, it will resize the pictures for you. Welcome to the forum.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ernie

Quote from: green-go on September 07, 2009, 09:15:59 PM

(they are old enough that they will never get a computer...).  Thank You.

Greg.

How old is that, we wrinklies can be relatively up to date you know.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Toolman

You may want to visit a website called "sawmill exchange" I don't know the web address offhand. I've googled it a few times in the past. They list sawmills of all types for sale. They have pics and prices. It may help you decide what the asking prices are for other mills similar yo his. I know they have alot of Fricks listed....Good luck. He's lucky to have someone like you to look out for him on this matter.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

green-go

I think he is about 78, which is not too old of course, but he is also some sort of Scandinavian, or Dutch, or German, or some such and is (nicely put) extremely resistant to change.  Honestly though, there is nothing wrong with him upstairs, it is his knees that gave out.  Can't hardly move around at all. 
I will try again to upload some pics and also try the sawmill exchange.  Appreciate all the help.  Still plenty of decent people out there.

fishpharmer

Green Go,

Its mighty nice of you to take the time to help your old neighbors out.  Its a shame he can't be on the forum.  I bet he would like it.

ForestryForum is full of good people.  Jeff don't let bad folks in ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I got my mill through Sawmill Exchange.  Very helpful folks.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

You might want to try advertising in the Lancaster Farming News.  Ads are cheap and it has a wide range of distribution in the farm communities in the area.  They're located over in Ephrata.  Lots of Amish read it.  I'm not sure of location in Lancaster, but I'm up in Lebanon county.

http://www.lancasterfarming.com/
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Greg,its not fair but the bottom has fallen out of the handset circular saw market,a few years back they were worth alot more.Band/swing mills have taken their place for the small sawyer,handset is too slow for the bigger guys.Setting up a circular mill is no easy task,most will shy away from it.Seem strange guys will spend 40 to 50 grand on a good bandmill but not 5000.00 on an old circular mill every bit its equal.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I sawed a 2K+ cherry job for a customer a few months ago.  He had a circle mill sitting under a shed.  Said that it was just too much trouble, and with the thin kerf, he would get more lumber.  I know of several circle mills setting around collecting rust.   Sad... :(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Toolman

Ron's suggestion of advertising in Lancaster Farmer is a good start. They circulate in neighboring states. Most of the Circular mills in my area have been all bought by the Amish.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

rider

I'm new to the sawmill industry and looking to purchase a circular sawmill to setup in my backyard. The sawmill  that is going up for sale, how complete is it and would it be possible to see it? I am about an hour from Lancaster. What size blade does it have?

Thanks rider

Magicman

rider, can't help you with a mill, but I can welcome you to FF..... 8)

green-go

Hi Rider, The sawmill is on Craigslist and can be found here. 
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/tls/1364764338.html
Claude is available anytime to show it to you.  Just call first.  His number is at the bottom. The saw is very complete and has been used correctly (not abused) and taken care of.  Claude has extra blades for sale - one never even used once.  The blade is currently off and in the shed in it's crate to keep it dryer prevent surface rust.  Follow the link for pics.  I recently heard the engine start right up with no trouble - purred like a kitten. 
Thanks also to Ron...

green-go

Just occurred to me that a craigslitst link might not be OK.  If not, I will delete it right away.  Greg.

Ron Wenrich

I know this mill, and know about the operator.  Its only about 15 miles from my home.  I do know that it was taken care of.  I watched Claude saw a good number of years ago and he worked the equipment, but didn't abuse it. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frickman

$6500 might be a little steep in this market, $4500 to $5000 might be more appropriate UNLESS you wanted to buy a running, complete mill instead of buying parts and pieces here and there. In that case it's a good deal, especially if it came with all the pullleys, belts, saw wrench, some extra bits and parts, etc., everything you would need to set it up and run it. You can spend alot of time and money piecing together a mill. I know I did. If I could ahve found a mill like this fifteen years ago I would have saved myself alot of money and grief.

The problem with this mill was mentioned above, the bottom has fallen out the market. The rise of the narrow blade band mill has caused the fall of the handset circle mill. Very few people want a handset mill anymore. The area where it is located though should have some prospective buyers though, especially amongst the Plain community.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thedeeredude

Is the other mill at the old Schaeffer farm? 

green-go

Yes, at the Schaeffertown historical farm on 501 just south of 419/897.  He still has it, ready to run and very complete.  With the diesel of course, it can run anywhere, no electricity needed.

Thank You Sponsors!