iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, I hope that I didn't make a mistake...

Started by scsmith42, September 07, 2009, 06:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

by buying a used Stihl 066 Magnum sight unseen off of e-bay...

The seller had 100% positive feedback, and stated that the saw worked as well today as it did new.  We'll see in a few days.

Around $450.00 delivered to my door - can't complain about that if it works as advertised.

50% more power than my 044, so that should help with trimming the ends on the big logs.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Al_Smith

You probabley did good . I don't have too many complaints about what I've gotten from e-bay .However since they adapted the pay pal only method of payment I have not purchased a thing .

I've actualy gotten better deals though members of web forums than I did through e-bay any way .

As for the 066,not a bad price if it is in good running order,nice saw ,plenty of power for sure .

fishpharmer

SC, So your the guy that outbid me :D ;) ;)

Kidding really.

If its anything like the 066 I borrowed you will love it. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

teddy

Hey Scott,
I got the first one!
Missed on the second! Good for you!!!
I have never seen 066 go for that, and to top it, 3 for under $500 in a hour span!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt

Ernie

Sounds like a good deal as long as he is the guy that actually owns it.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

KGNC

Scott:
I took a chance and did the same a little over a year ago and was well pleased. I got a 066 Magnum for $530 with shipping. To be sure the saw is well used but doesn't seem to have been abused.  I put in a new plug and sprocket and started sawing.
No more than I use the saw I expect it will last many years. If I was depending on the saw to feed the kids I might consider a newer unit, but for firewood and the small amount of timber I cut it's fine.

Al_Smith

:D Well it's a little bit of over kill for a firewooder but at least you won't run out of power,that's for sure . It should last you for many many years,maybe forever .

scsmith42

The saw arrived today, and all appears well.  Lot's of compression, and pretty much normal wear and tear.  I only ran it for a few minutes, but it was smooth and had consistent power.  I could not bog it down with the 20" bar.

ladylake

With a good sharp chain and the rakers low enough you cab bog any saw. I couldn't bog my 45cc Echo once when the chain was real dull.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Lot of truth in that .I once stalled one of the most powerfull 066's I've ever seen by leaning on it too hard .

I imagine the boyz in eastern NY state are still mumbling about that saw and clumsy old Al stalled it in a cut .10 by 10 cottonwood cant as a matter of fact . :D

ladylake

Right Al, but they sure cut fast with a sharp chain, low rakers and just the right touch. The only time I don't like low rakers is when felling a tree where I tend to use the dogs. I keep a saw with higher rakers for that.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

scsmith42

Guys - you're right - I should have mentioned that the chain was somewhat dull.

Thank You Sponsors!