iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chipotle..

Started by zopi, September 05, 2009, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

So, remember all those peppers I planted a couple months ago? Weeeellll...I picked about 4 gallond of mammoth jalepenos
this morning...and since I had the smoker going to make BBQ...I topped out the peppers and dumped em in the smoker...I think I'll dry them and grind them into an evil version of chile powder....

The cayennes are next... ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Norm

I have tons of them too but for some reason the plants have a funny shaped pepper on them. More like a barrel than a longer shaped one like you'd expect. Still pretty good but hotter than all get out.

I'm scared to try the thai ones that are next to them.  :D

Ianab

Barrell shaped... Might be Habanero or Scotch Bonnet?

I tried growing one last season, but the summer was a bit cool and the fruit didn't set in time to ripen before the weather cooled off.

But my friend who lives by the coast grew a couple, and they were plenty tasty.  ;D :o
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

olyman

Quote from: Norm on September 05, 2009, 05:28:29 PM
I have tons of them too but for some reason the plants have a funny shaped pepper on them. More like a barrel than a longer shaped one like you'd expect. Still pretty good but hotter than all get out.

chicken!! ;D ;D if they are still hot exiting--just about right!!!!

zopi

was eating pickled thai peppers the other day...conned a friend into trying a pickle...SUCKER!

I have the chipoltles in the dehydrator now, along with some south african biltong...sure smells good in here...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Norm

Biltong huh, what cut of meat are you using for it and how do you like it over jerky?

WH_Conley

Recipe the wife uses for canning hellapenos is bread and butter pickle mix, cut the sugar to a little less than half what is called for. Crunchy as when they came off the plant, bout as hot the next morning too. :o
Bill

zopi

Quote from: Norm on September 06, 2009, 08:33:11 AM
Biltong huh, what cut of meat are you using for it and how do you like it over jerky?

Dude.

O
my
Gawd.

I screwed it up and it's still better...gonna start playing with exotic vinegars and fresh roasted coriander and curry next....

Boer Worrs is next on the list..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 06, 2009, 08:49:25 AM
Recipe the wife uses for canning hellapenos is bread and butter pickle mix, cut the sugar to a little less than half what is called for. Crunchy as when they came off the plant, bout as hot the next morning too. :o
C'MON ICE CREAM!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

scgargoyle

Quote from: Norm on September 05, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

I had a jalapeno that had peppers like that, too, and they were much hotter than the normal-looking ones next to it.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

crtreedude

I have two bushes of habaneros, I am almost afraid to even get close to them!  :o And interesting thing is that a pepper plant isn't a plant in the tropics, it becomes a bush, about 4 feet high, loaded with peppers!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

ErikC

I have been pickling jalapenos, and they sure are good. But now I think I'll smoke them a little first, and then pickle them. Anyone try that before? Thanks for the idea Zopi ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: crtreedude on September 09, 2009, 07:31:59 PM
I have two bushes of habaneros, I am almost afraid to even get close to them!  :o And interesting thing is that a pepper plant isn't a plant in the tropics, it becomes a bush, about 4 feet high, loaded with peppers!

Yep, I guess you pretty much have a year-round growing season down there.

So, are these various pepper species being talked about here annuals or perennials?  I would guess annuals, but don't really know.

zopi

perennials in the ttropics..

peppers are dried...gonna grind them into basically a powdered dragon fart...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ianab

My book says a Habanero bush can grow for 5 years in a warm climate.

Mine are in pots so I moved them up under the back porch over winter, out of the frost. They are still alive and starting to shoot new leaves as the weather warms up. Will give them a bit of Fert and see what happens.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Slabs

I love the pickled jalapenos but if you really want a treat, smush up a bunch in a food processer with tomatoes, onions and a few cloves of garlic, season with vinegar and salt and can as salsa.  Made some a few years ago that was great.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

LeeB

Roasted habaneros, roasted garlic and onion, lime juice and salt makes a mean pepper sauce. I like mine about 60-70% peppers.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Stan snider

My mom had a green Chilie plant in a greenhouse that lived for several years. We transplanted it before frost into a BIG pot. It got about head high and produced year round except for January and February it got real slow. Chilie rellenos for Christmas was real good :-*. If you have a pepper that hasn't been frosted dig it up and try it . They are really attractive plants and would live where there was a big south window. Stan

Thank You Sponsors!