iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler 28 efi problems

Started by JV, September 05, 2009, 01:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

I had a customer who lives about 30 miles away call and ask if I would saw beams to finish a cabin project he started last year.  I really have too much going on right now but he is a good customer and the last saw bill was fairly hefty which he promptly paid.  Besides, it would only take one or two days, so I thought.

My LT-40 has a Kohler 28 hp efi engine on it with around 150 hours.  I serviced the mill the day before and everything checked ok.  Monday morning we setup and started on the first log, a 20 footer to become an 8 x 8 beam.  First cut ok then problems.  The engine flooded and stalled.  Checked everything and same thing.  After a phone call to Wood-mizer, I had a list of techs close to my location.  Customer knew one of them fairly well and said he was reputable.  I called him and shortly he arrived with a helper.  He took a look and said he had never worked on an EFI engine.  I had run the diagnostic test and had a code 22 fault which indicated the throttle position sensor.  We removed the sensor and it was full of fuel, a seal had failed.  Yesterday the sensor came and the tech installed it.  Fired up and everything looked good.  However, shortly after he left same problem.  He doesn't have the computer software to run full diagnostics and the closest dealer who does is 60 miles away.  Listening to his conversation with Kohler, I wasn't impressed with the help he got.  Got the impression that Kohler got their money and it was up to the dealer to solve the problems even though he didn't sell the engine and had never sold an EFI engine.

I hate gas engines with a passion and wanted a diesel when I bought the mill but didn't think I could justify the $3500 more at the time.  Something I am really regretting at the moment.  Has anyone else had problems with their EFI equipped Kohlers?
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

JV

Well, I see I messed this up, I intended to post in the sawmll forum.  Would one of you kind moderators move it.  Like an old friend used to say "Somedays you just can't lay up a dime."   :(
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!