iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Saga....

Started by DanG, September 02, 2009, 01:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I've been in a bit of a quandary for the past couple of days.  Just how does a fellow go about opening a subject like this without being misunderstood?  How do you keep it from appearing to be a plea for sympathy?  Well, I haven't come up with a way to control the thoughts, emotions and reactions of others, so I'll just lay it out there.  This past Saturday morning, at about 2:10 am, I had a heart attack.  When it happened, there was no doubt in my mind as to what was happening, or what was to be done.  Within a minute, I was on the phone with the local 911 service and had an ambulance on the way.  I was at home alone at the time, as Linda was at work for the night.  All she could do was to stay on the phone with me until the truck got there.  It seemed like forever, but I saw flashing lights in the driveway in just a few minutes.  They put me in the truck and went to work on me, determining that I was indeed having a "cardiac event" and treating me for same.  Jason, the Paramedic, was most professional and competent to handle the situation, and had me stabilized in a matter of minutes, while instructing his EMT to  get that truck rolling with minimal delay!  Long story short, we got there, they fixed me, and I'm back in action in a mere two days, which is nothing short of a miracle in itself.  However, the preceding story is so common as to be mundane, as it happens multiple times in ever hour of every day.

Now while the first part of this story is quite commonly known and accepted as the way things "are", I want to share some things that don't get talked about very much.  First of course is the little matter of the thoughts that go through one's mind at a time like that.  I felt no fear or dread, but I was most interested to see those flashing lights coming in my driveway!  It was almost matter of fact, as if I were a casual observer wondering if a contestant will make it or not.  It will be a long time before I am able to sort out all of the detailed thoughts and emotions that have gone through my mind in the past few days, in fact I'm quite sure I will never sort all of them out.

The first of the conundra i will talk about is Jason.  He is a big strapping, overgrown image of Opie Taylor, with a head full of knowledge and a heart full of love for what he does.  I had immediate appreciation for him when i first saw him, for obvious reasons, but gained a much greater respect for him along the 37 mile journey we took together.  Along the way, he took more EKG readings and showed me the tapes, explaining what exactly was going on with my heart.  In the midst of all that absolute professionalism, he managed to be just a regular guy who was on my side.  We laughed and joked about this, that, and the other, but he told me how that pretty little gal that was driving the truck will be recieving her PHD in just a few days, having worked her way through eight years of college as an EMT.  This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is in one of the poorest and most rural Counties in the State of Florida.  These are the people who are out there every day, hauling sniffle cases to the ER and scraping flesh up off the highway for a little bit more than minimum wage.  I asked Jason why he worked over here for so little, when he could make twice as much money doing the same thing in Tallahassee.  He said, "Those silly b*stards don't know what they're missing!"  I did notice however, when we arrived at the dock at the hospital, there were about a dozen ambulances with their crews, lined up on the "ready line".  As Jason and his EMT/PHD wheeled my carcass up to the door, it was a bit like Nicklaus striding up #18 at Augusta.  They all knew him, and he knew all of them.  It was easy to see that they were the wannabes, and he was the guy who was out there bringing home the bacon every day of his life.  Admiration.  Respect. These are things that cannot be given or taken.  They are earned, if one is to have them at all.

There are several more stories in this saga, but I'm about typed out for now.  There will be surprises in the following entries.  For now, I'm just glad to be sitting here typing.  When my Sister called yesterday, she said, "I bet you're glad to be home!"  I said, "At this point, I'm glad to be anywhere!" :D :D

More to follow......
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ScottAR

Glad to see your still on the green side of the grass...

A most interesting account indeed... I await the rest of the epic
when you have the inclination...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

fishpharmer

DanG, my words will seem insignificant to one of the best posts that I have ever read.  Not at all "best" by the fact you had a heart attack. 

The greatest part about your post is that you are here to write it.   8) 8) 8) ;D ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

DanG
Sure glad to have you writing this. Makes one wonder if or when it will happen to them. If it comes to be, hope I'll be able to write about it as you have done.
Thanks for sharing. Prolly not every forum one would feel like sharing one's feelings as you have done.
This is truly a great forum.

Bless those EMT's.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Sorry to hear about the attack, but glad you are able to be home already..  Any thoughts on preventive measures?  Asprin regiment or any thing?
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

gary

I'm glad your here to tell us about it.

ellmoe

Dan, I'm glad your still with us and hope you have no long term ill-effects. Hang in their bud.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

Thirty seven miles!!! That's aways from people. It's nice to have a person like Jason to help you out in your time of need. He needs a big hug. I'm glad he was there for you. You talk about how he was good to you and respected by others. But you know,that's how we all should be at our jobs and life itself.Than when we do see a person, like Jason,we talk about how good they are. Seems like people like him are getting fewer and fewer out in the real world. But I'm glad to hear that you are up and going. I care about you Dan and want to hear about your up and downs. Here's a big HUG to keep you well from me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Congrats on survivin' .....and welcome to the club    8)  8)  :)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Dan , ya can't be doing [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] like that ... It is one of them experiences that one needs to read of and not TRY . I am very glad to hear that you are still on this side of the tunnel . Send me a message when you are up for a call .  smiley_wavy
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kevin

Glad to hear you're ok and on the road to recovery Dan .

brdmkr

Dan,

Glad to hear you are doing well.  I look forward to reading the rest.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Glad to hear you're still kickin'  8) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

metalspinner

Whew! smiley_sweat_drop

You're restricted from the"Restricted Topics" section for a while.  We need you at full strenghth in there. ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Take it easy and listen to your doctor.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Sprucegum

A survival saga with a happy ending, or should I say never-ending  ;)

When I was 14 my Mother and I came home from school to find a note on the kitchen table. Dad had written with a very shaky hand "I have gone to lie down. I am having a heart attack."
I sat by the bed and held his hand while Mother drove 2 miles to the phone at the post office and got help. Until the help arrived Dad was kept busy calming my nerves! We chuckled about that for 30 years after.

I expect you to put in another 30 years as well.

pineywoods

Thanks for sharing. You did mention more to come. Just don't forget the impact this kind of situation might will have on Linda. Been there twice with the wife..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dana

Glad to hear your back home.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

dnalley

Dang I'm glad to see you're writing this and not Linda.  Breaks my heart to hear it, but maybe so thankful for just a wakeup call.  You're a treasure to this board, IMHO.  :) Dwight

Texas Ranger

Dang, Dang, a real life changing event.  No more bacon, pork chops, fried food, you will be on one of the Viet Namese diets, rice and boiled fish.

But like the others said, glad  your writing from this side.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes! :) :)

Banjo, there have already been adjustments.  They changed one of my BP meds and added a couple of things to my regime.  Also, I haven't had a cigarette since Friday night.  This is something that was already in the works, and I had already cut down considerably.  It occurred to me that I was already past the hardest part by the time I got out of the hospital, so I just continued to not smoke. :) :)

Cfarm, I agree that everyone should be totally competent in their job, but Jason is exceptional.  The remarkable thing is that he has placed himself on the front lines in a very difficult area, and is working his tail off for very little money.  He could very easily improve his own situation by accepting a position in Tallahassee, but he remains here to take care of us.  You see, our hospital has closed down, and the only clinic of any kind in this county is the one the County's Paramedics are operating.  Any time they are not on the road, they are seeing patients in the clinic.  They are very busy people!  To give you an idea, Jason told me that the truck we were in is less than a year old and has 155,000 miles on it!  He is a hero among heroes.

This has only been the first chapter in this saga.  There will be several more. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

I am exceptionally pleased that there is much more to come and that this is not the final chapter, if you know what I mean  :).  I look forward to seeing you soon.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Reddog

Glad you are still with us Dan.

Mooseherder

I'm glad you're feeling better DanG. :)

Thank You Sponsors!