iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer solenoid issues

Started by DWM II, September 01, 2009, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

The original solenoid gave up the ghost this week, heck it was only 17 years old.  ;) I went to the parts store and picked up a continueous duty solenoid rated for winches. I installed it in the same configuration as the original but as soon as I reconnected the battery the hydraulic pump began to run, acting like the solenoid was a closed switch. Question is, faulty brand new solenoid? or not the proper model for this application? I can return it and buy from Woodmizer or try another one of their's. I am asking before hand to try and head off another problem Im not catching possibly. One other thing, the mill was working fine right up until the point of failure, so Im leaning toward the problem being the new, not functioning properly Chinese model. Opinions?
Stewardship Counts!

backwoods sawyer

After the hydraulic fire, I tried the same route that you tried. The solenoids are wired differently and the contacts are not as heavy duty as what woodmizer puts in there mills. If you want to save a little money and rewire the mill to the solenoids that is an option. However, I felt that I was money ahead to spend a little extra for the heavier duty parts.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

DWM II

There was no monetary advantage, just time. I think it would be a  mistake to modify when the oem part is basically the same price.
Stewardship Counts!

cut2size

I got my last solenoid by using the part number for an ambulance (sp).  It is the same as woodmizer.  A regular solenoid is not made for a positive ground like our application.
David
cut2size

logwalker

Solenoids come in both normally open and normally closed. That may be the problem you are having. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Magicman

After 17 years of service, why re-invent the wheel?  Just use an OEM unit from WM and enjoy another trouble free 17 years...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magic Smoke

If installing a 3-post solenoid, there are two different kinds depending on how the coil is configured inside. All coils need +12V and ground to work, on a 3-post solenoid there is a missing terminal because one end of the coil is connected internally to either ground or to the "Batt" side of the solenoid. Which type you have determines whether the solenoid requires +12V or ground to turn on. Wood-Mizer solenoids (3-post hydraulic ones) require ground (one end of the coil is attached internally to Batt or +12V). These are typically referred to as an isolated or insulated ground type solenoid. One way around this (if your not sure what type 3-post is available) is to buy a 4-post and run a jumper wire from 1 of the small posts to the "Batt" side of the solenoid, then hook your wire from the micro-switch to the remaining small post.

Bibbyman

Just another thought. 

Those little micro switches have a bad habit of going bad or getting out of adjustment.  You may want to make sure you're getting juice to the solenoid to fire it off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DWM II

Firing off wasnt the problem, but yes I am doing some pm work inside the hydraulic box while i am down with it, its due. Gonna go ahead and order from WM if for nothing else stop running back and forth to the parts house.
Stewardship Counts!

Bibbyman

When our mill got to be a couple of years old and out of warrantee, we went through the parts book and ordered one of every switch on the control panel, belts, motor brushes, fuses, and solenoids.  So far,  we've only needed a few of them but they sure save time and money.  When we have something go out,  and replace it with a spare part,  we try to get another spare the next time we order something or go to an event where Wood-Mizer is there.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

I did the same thing Bibby.  About $500 worth of stuff.  I've used several items and prevented "down time".  Wish that I had ordered a SetWorks control panel like you did.  They aren't available anymore.... :(  I have the display, but not the "button" panel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DWM II

Mine isnt quite as complicated as yall's, no setworks, and the old style feed system. Also it helps that im not sawing for a living so the down time is just an inconvienence.
Stewardship Counts!

Thank You Sponsors!