iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill project, pictures

Started by apm, September 01, 2009, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apm

In the first picture you can see a cabin just behind the sawmill. This was a homeschool project for our 4 sons. They were 11, 12, 13 and 14 years old when they started it. They weren't allowed to hire any outside help, or to purchase anything that could be made with the mill. We worked every Saturday (from daylight to dark) for nearly three years. Their reward was that as they "graduated" homeschool, they could move into the cabin and begin learning independent living while still being under Mom and Dad's umbrella.

The first fall, they logged, or rather learned to log, all of the materials. We decided on Cordwood construction to minimize waste of the trees we cut. The house is built as a timber frame with cordwood infill on three sides. The walls are 18" thick. The tops of the log trees were used to make the cordwood. The first 18 months we didn't allow them to use any electricity. They cut all of the joinery by hand using antique tools. We finally got overwhelmed and set a temporary power pole to finish.

The boys are mostly grown, now, and have built their own homes. We use the cabin as a vacation rental, now.

They learned to log, saw, build, lay block and stone, wire, plumb and a whole host of other things. They count it as some of their best memories. Dad kinda enjoyed it, too.   :)

Timberking 1600 now

Sprucegum

8)  8) WOW ! That is some nice work and an excellent schooling project. Thanks for sharing.

tonto

WOW, what a great story and project. Kinda takes me back to when I was a kid learning from my grandfather and uncle. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Dodgy Loner

Great story, and what a nice place to show for it! I was not familiar with "cordwood" walls until I saw the picture. I thought it was stone at first. Thanks for sharing!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Great project and story. Heartwarming.

I thought cordwood walls would have the cordwood closer together. What fills in between the wood? (I assume a concrete or cement of some kind). It looks good, and wonder how often the cracks open up and need chinking.

Is that you in the last pic with the orange coat on? Might need a trim. 

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

apm

The mortar between the cordwood is a special matrix of cement, sand, lime and sawdust. The logs that didn't dry long enough, shrank after a couple of seasons and we went back around them with perma-chink in a caulk gun. A lot of the logs dried enough initially that shrinkage hasn't been a problem.

When I first mentioned the cordwood house to my wife, she told me to build the front wall conventional log construction because she didn't want a "polka dot" house. After we finished, she asked me why I didn't do the whole house out of cordwood because she thought it was so attractive ;D

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

customsawyer

That is great. My wife does me the same way about most stuff. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Those skills the boys have learned will serve them a lifetime.  You have taught them much.  That is a beautiful cabin  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Red

I think that is a great idea.  I love it.

What is the lime and sawdust in the mix for. 

Is the cordwood treated in any way?

Tim

Ernie

Brilliant!!

Wish I'd done something like that when I home schooled my lads, all they wanted to do was fish and surf :(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

apm

The way it was explained to me, the lime strengthened the mortar while the sawdust made the mix less brittle when dry. It needs to stand up well to mild expansion and contraction of the logs with seasonal changes. So far, so good. It's maybe 7-8 years old now.  The logs don't get treated with anything for rot. The way they're put into the walls with both ends exposed, they breathe well. It's important not to seal the log ends with anything, for that reason.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Magicman

Sounds like that along with building a fine cabin, you also built great memories.  Thanks for sharing a wonderful story and pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brdmkr

All I can say is WOW!  Thanks for posting.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

bandmiller2

My hat is off to you Greg thats a good way to raise young-uns they will carry that with them forever.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron R.

Greg, That's a great looking cabin. Makes me want to rent it for a week or so. :D. My daughter is looking at a cabin or small house(ever how you want to look  at it) on some adjoining property to me that is in need of some repair. I told her if she could buy it cheap enough we could saw out whatever she needed and do the repairs ourselves. It was originally built out of rough sawn lumber so putting it back in original condition should not be a problem. I really like the old cabin style homes. Anyhow, hats off to your children for a job well done and the pride you must feel.   Ron

Tripp

Greg,

Love your story about the cabin and your kids. Seeing that your mill is so close It makes me want to bring my family up sometime and stay for a few days.

Tripp

customdave

Great Project very nice cabin! My neighbor has a garage built cordwood constructon 70yrs old & still in use today that his father built. Thanks for sharing this project.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

cheyenne

I'm at a loss for words. You have given your children an education they could have never gotten in any school. And I know they will be an asset to humanity & mankind. You & your wife have my utmost respect & admiration.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

apm

Thanks for all of the comments. It was truly a wonderful family time. We have five daughters (four were younger than the boys) who also committed every Saturday to preparing two huge meals to feed the hungry crew. Sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes and biscuits and gravy for breakfast, then meat and potatoes after dark. With preparation, serving, then cleaning up afterwards, the girls were as busy as the boys.

The local paper did a feature article, full page, with pictures about halfway through the project. Kinda a human interest sort of thing. The boys were minor celebrities in our small community from the publicity. Part of the learning curve was keeping them humble.  ;D  They became and remain best friends as a result of the experiences.

My wife took pictures every weekend. She has assembled them into a chronological album, showing progress from week to week. The boys love to get the album out and show it to their wives and friends. My favorite picture is the four boys all wearing their Husqvarna helmets, standing in front of a huge pile of stickered lumber, higher than their heads. Looking at it now, they look like babies! 

Renting the cabin, now, has become my wife and daughters' home business. The four girls are teenagers and earn spending money cleaning the cabin before and after rentals. It's a lot of fun for them to learn about managing a business, paying taxes, keeping records, etc. We are very close to the Bristol Nascar track, right on a blue ribbon trout stream and a mile from a large TVA lake. It's made for an appealing vacation getaway spot. Homeschooling is great if you have the opportunity!

Thanks, 

Greg

Timberking 1600 now

tonto

Do you have any info on rental - prices and availability. We would like to go to a Bristal race some day. Thanks, Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

apm

Hi Tonto,

Her listing info is at cabins.com
Click on Tennessee, then Butler, then Country Cordwood. There are more pictures, there.

Thanks,

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

fishpharmer

apm, not sure how I missed this thread.  The cabin building project turned out great.  Building a home sure seems to redefine my thoughts on "home" schooling.  Sounds like you have done well with your family and mill.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

zopi

Wow. Just Wow.

That is a brilliant way to raise kids...I wish my own career hadn't kept me away so much...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

Quote from: zopi on October 31, 2009, 12:05:55 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

That is a brilliant way to raise kids...I wish my own career hadn't kept me away so much...

You and me both brother. I have had a lot of quality time with my family because on average I get more hours at home than a regular work a day job, but you sure miss out on a lot of stuff while you are away.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

apm

Thanks, guys. It was a very special time. The old saying about them growing up so fast sure is true.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Thank You Sponsors!