iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Range finder question

Started by beenthere, September 01, 2009, 11:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Anyone experienced the different range finders on the market?

Looking for one at least up to 100 yards.

Seem to be laser range finders now, and others mentioned that reflect off of objects.
Use to have the prism type available, but don't see them now.

The prices "range" as well from $100 to $500, and not sure what the inherent differences are.

Appreciate any thoughts.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CLL

I bought a nikon archers choice, it works good. It will compensate for angle since I bow hunt mostly. Range can be set for 100 yards for bow or 400 yards for gun. Price $239 Should I have had $400 rather than $200 I would have bought a Leupold with TBR(true ballistic range) that will go out to about 1000 yards. The optics are just better.
Too much work-not enough pay.

RynSmith

I have an Opti-logic 100LH that I'm not overly fond of.  The biggest problem for me is that there is no way to calibrate it.  When I noticed it was out of whack I called the company and they said the only thing to do was to pay them to fix it   >:(  Just my two cents.

Usually, if it is reflecting off an object you can have more confidence in the result.

ADAMINMO

I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro and it ranges out ot 800 yards. I am very happy with it. My wife got it for me for christmas a couple years ago. Small and very accurate. I think it was like $200.00 give or take.

dutchman

I got the Nikon Monarch 800, using it about 2 weeks.
Has 6x magnification,great on soft bodies under 400 yds.
Don't see groundhogs beyond that.
Love it so far. Bought from Natchez Supply on sale 229 + shippping.

Larry

I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 right after they came out...better than 10 years ago.  Think I payed about double what Adam paid.  Dependent on light conditions it often won't make it to 800 yards...400 yards its always on.  It's not real good less than 25 yards either.  If I get a reading its dead on...and I verified it with a measuring wheel.  Actually I'm sorta surprised that it's still working.  I've ranged crows out to 700 yards and lined them up in the mil-dot scope...dead crow. :)

I also have a split image Lecia rangefinder from WW ll...its an antique but will range to...just say a long long ways.

What's ya want a rangefinder for?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Thanks for the info. I will do some homework now.

I'm interested for bow hunting mainly.

New bow, so figured I'd like to take the yardage estimates out of the equation, and have a better idea on the distance.
Not that it will make me any better on the shot, but one less excuse  ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

I got a new one last year myself, first one since 89.... :D

What did you get?

beenthere

I'm still sorting through a gazillion reviews.  :o :o

Which one did you get?  :)
south central Wisconsin

Norm

beenthere

Oops! I thought you meant a range finder.  :)

I bought a Mathews too. The Reezen 6.5.  Almost bought the DXT last year, and had to make the decision this year between the two.

http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-11240-44-ViewProduct-1472-324.asp

Really like it, as it is such a huge step up from the used Browning Explorer II that I used for at least 30 years. Moving from 50% let-off to 80% is a huge difference.

Targeting at 20, 30, and 40 yards. Friend brought out his Nikon 350 (I believe that was the right number) this morning, and it was smack on at 20 and 30 yards, and had the 40 yard marker at 39.5 yards. Thinkin I will not really need the angle correcting type, as I don't plan on real high tree stands anymore, or in steep mountain terrain.
south central Wisconsin

Norm

Nice!

I went from a PSE that I bought back in 89 myself. I really like that bow but had some friends show up for bow season with the Matthews models and knew it was time to upgrade also.

I like Nikon myself, let me know what you decide on and how it works out.

CLL

My son bought a new PSE and I still use my 15 year old PSE. Oh what technology has done. Mine was state of the art when I bought it, my sons is state of the art now. Mine shoots at 190fps, his shouts at 296fps. Thats true speed not advertised speed where they use 27",100g arrows. I have a friend that has an archery shop, and he said under real world shooting, using broadheads and top arrows you can figure about 10% loss in speed.
Too much work-not enough pay.

beenthere

Quote from: Norm on September 03, 2009, 02:22:02 PM
Nice!

I went from a PSE that I bought back in 89 myself. I really like that bow but had some friends show up for bow season with the Matthews models and knew it was time to upgrade also.

I like Nikon myself, let me know what you decide on and how it works out.

Norm
I picked the Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder.  If for no other reason, I liked the case that it came in, with the handy cover over the lens.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin

Norm

Cool!

Let us know how you like it after some use.  :)

bitternut

I bought the new Nikon Forestry 550 model. Figured I could use it for tree work in my woods as well as for hunting. Seems to work pretty good. It is real easy to use and checks out to be quite accurate. The only minus for hunting is that it is bright yellow but what the heck, deer are color blind anyhow. :D

dnalley

beenthere,

just wondering, what with the new spot-on range finders, what would you think to be your maximum realistic range on a deer-size target?  Haven't bow hunted in many moons and no range finders to speak of back then.  I'm talking of a Jennings Aerostar with round wheels (no excentric cams ) back in '79!  Grandson has about given me the "itch" again.  ;D thanks      Dwight

beenthere

I've been out bow hunting twice now, and have found the rangefinder very handy to have.  I use to try to estimate the distance, or would sometimes pace off 20 yds and put a flag or some other marker around the stand. This year, I could swing around to each suspected trail or shooting opening, and range a tree close by. The lighter the bark, apparently the more accurate the reading. Nice to know the distances, so that one variable isn't affecting the shot. Still leaves a number of other ones. (like slipping off the release prematurily when aiming at the target at 30 yards, skipping over the target and burying the arrow about 1" into an oak tree at 50 yards  ::) ::) )

Have "shot" a number of known distances, including a lot of trees, and like the accuracy of the rangefinder.  Not sorry I bought this one. And bitternut, I don't expect to be using the rangefinder when deer are about. Plan to get all that done ahead of time, so having a camo case prolly doesn't amount to much. It does have a nice protective lens cover tho.  :)

dnalley
I can get range readings over 40 yards, of which I won't shoot with bow. So haven't checked the accuracies over 40 yards. And I've switched back and forth on the angular feature in this rangefinder, but am not at enough angle to get an appreciable difference in the readings. They say range out to 100 yds. I'm anxious to see a deer at that range and try 'ranging' it.  :)   Careful giving one of those new bows a try....they will hook you fast (did me  :)). What a pleasure holding only 80% instead of 50%

south central Wisconsin

mdvaden

Presently, I have a Trupulse 200 on loan from one of the west coast forest researchers. It's a pretty slick item to use.

http://www.lasertech.com/TruPulse-200-Rangefinder.aspx

Roughly the $600 range.

smiley_beertoast

Thank You Sponsors!