iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first drink of Apple pie

Started by Ironmower, September 01, 2009, 06:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironmower

Had a summer-home neighbor stop by and handed me a bottle. Of course, I asked what is it? He said, apple pie. He then explained, that it was moon-shine, lucky-leaf apple juice and 2 cloves.
Yee-haw!, that stuff is good! 8) And you don't even have to dirty any dishes. ;)
Any of you fine people ever tried it?
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Jeff

That's not real apple pie, but everybody has thier own versions I guess. I was given Nailheads secret recipe (which will remain secret) before he died, and I can tell ya, that there is more to it then you were told, and apple pie needs to be made with fresh apple cider, non-pasturized, and certainly not processed juice. Plus its something that takes several to many days to make.   If you liked what he gave you, you'd curl up and giggle like a school girl if you got a taste of the real thing.

Its almost the season here. We'll be brewing a few batches as soon as its cider time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

Not much fresh cider here, processed juice is about the only way to go. Jeff is right, the real stuff is more complicated than that. Better too.
Bill

Banjo picker

Well I guess I'll throw water on the fire.  I tried it, and I didn't like it.  Don't know how it was made or what it was made from.   But all is not lost....my wife liked it. ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

Prolly a lot of secret recipes for apple pie.  8)
I can vouch for Nailhead's as being one of the better ones I've had.

Google "recipes for apple pie drink" and a wide variety of them come up. Some even have vodka added  ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

We have a jug made in 2000 that is about as good as it could possibly be. the recipe given me was pretty complex to make, because distilling was involved. ;) pretty high octane, but mighty smooth and tasty. Is this similar to what you have ???
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Ironmower

WM lt35 hd 950 JD

asy

The only time in my LIFE I've ever been drunk was on Apple Cider...

Mind you I was 8. We were at a BBQ and Mum kept filling my glass with "apple cider" not realising it was alcoholic!!!

I don't think I've had it since. Not really something you see much here...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Slabs

When I was in my teens, somebody gave my dad a jar of shine and he tried to "mollify" the taste with dried apples.  Taste wasn't so great but that stuff would knock your hat into the creek.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Raider Bill

Well by now I figure Jeff's not going to give up his secert recipe, does anyone else have a good one?
I got's 12 quarts of shine and another case coming. Sure would like to make up a batch with the upcoming holidays, like halloween you know..... 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

I made a promise to Pat Johnson that I would not give out the Recipe, and I'm hoping it will be quite some time before I can ask him about changing the status on that.  I will tell you that all you need is a 5th of booze to two gallons of cider used.

I polished off a bottle just last night. I'm going home in the morning for a few days and I'm hopin the brew Mistress gives up anudder bottle or two to bring back up. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

Pat was pretty secretive   about that recipe as he was about many things, but truth be told its Karen's recipe and I have never known her not to share ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

beenthere

Pat shared the Apple Pie.  Didn't need the recipe.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I'd hate to have to wait to see him about it. But then again a nice long wait wouldn't be too bad I guess.

timberfaller390

I'm not a fan of apple pie but I do make a pretty choice applejack.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Weekend_Sawyer

I had my first taste of Apple Pie last weekend. I don't know how it was made but it was Goooood!  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Rockn H

Not sure if we're all talking about the same thing... north to south translations ya know.  I like apple cider with cinnamon and Pear wine or "perry" is my new favorite summertime drink to sip on around a BBQ.   One favorite for us when we're around a campfire in cold weather is Apple Pie made from moonshine and apple concentrate.  There's a little bit of a recipe to it, but basically you cook all the ingredients then add it to the moonshine.  When done right it's fairly sweet and smooth and still about a 100 proof. ;)

sandhills

We make it occasionally but never used the same recipe twice, always tweaking it a bit, never had any turn out bad though just some batches a little better than others.  I've tried some with vodka but mainly stick to everclear for the alcohol, and use cider not juice.

goose63

3 gallons apple juice
1big jug ever clear
half pint brandy
1 pound red hots candy
heat half gallon juice mix red hots so the sugar don't stick to pan
let cool pore in the brandy and ever clear
I call it air plane gas any fool drinks enough will try to fly go's down smooth
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Goose......that stuff would run a weed eater.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Rockn H

I think Y'all are watering down your apple pie. :D   We use 1/2 gallon 150 proof grain alcohol.  Take 3 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate, 1 heaping tbl spoon cinnamon, 1 cup brown sugar, and 2tsp vanilla.  Bring this to a boil then let simmer for 30 mins, then let it cool.  Once cooled add this to your grain alcohol... It's better if it's gets to rest a few days but not necessary.  That's our recipe for Apple Pie Moonshine.

sawguy21

OOOF!!! That stuff would kick like a rented mule. ;D Sounds pretty good, a few shots of that the bed better not be too far away.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Take 1/2 gallon of freezer water in a wide mouth canning jar and an apple. Swig on the jar then take a bite of the apple if you need to. Some do some don't. ;)

LeeB

!/2 gallon? you be hard core Bill.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

m wood

Rockn H, I might have to try your recipe soon.  That dont sound like too much work u'tall
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Rockn H

Quote from: m wood on March 24, 2014, 03:44:34 PM
Rockn H, I might have to try your recipe soon.  That dont sound like too much work u'tall

It's pretty easy, but on the sweet side.... I can't drink much it gives me heartburn. :)

Bill Gaiche

Has anybody tried the Peach Cobbler? It taste just like Moms home made peach cobbler. bg

Raider Bill

ely

I am not too certain of all that fancy stuff mixed in with the squeezing, but if its what you like then that's good...
I am not a big drinker of whiskey or hard stuff in general, I like the margarita on occaision and I have drank mork than my share of shine.

but I appropriated a couple quarts for me and a friend the other day and I had given him one more in the past... never had any interest in trying it before Monday night though.

I will have to say that jar was the best I have ever drank. had about six guys helping with it and everyone said it was good stuff. it would sure warm you up good. the true test was when I work up the next morning feeling just fine... the reason I never tried the stuff much was when I was a kid I got into some bad stuff that hurt my head like no other.

one fellow took to gulping it and he is usually a non-drinker. the rest of us were just sipping it slow, it was very smooth.

Weekend_Sawyer

Here's a recipe I used last night:

1/2 gal apple juce
1/2 gal apple cider
5 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
a tbsp anise

Heat all ingredients stirring constantly until it comes to a boil, Remove from heat and let cool to room temp. Add a quart of moonshine stir and pour into 5 quart jars while straining out the anise. Put 1 of the used cinnamon sticks in each jar. I was sipping it in a cordial glass with ice and I like it!   

sandhills

I don't do this much, mind telling what anise is?  Thanks

Roxie

It's a spice from a plant that has a licorice like taste. 

Weekend Sawyer, that sounds wonderful!  Last weekend, Cowboy Bob brought me home two quarts of Apple pie.  I don't know how they made it, but a shot over ice went straight to my head.  I know you find that hard to believe.   ::)
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!