iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut price?

Started by Woodwalker, August 30, 2009, 09:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

What are you guys paying for grade walnut logs? I looked at 18 trees yesterday that aren't going to yield even a 1000'. Some rot, crook and looks like most will be 8'. There are a couple of good logs in the mix. One 16' with 14" top and a couple of 12' X 14".
I want to pay a honest price but, I've got to buck and haul also.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Kansas

Not sure about right now, but a few months ago, any log not at least 15 inches at the small end had no value as walnut whatsoever in this area.  I don't things have improved much, but I do hope for some kind of a market for all the types of walnut logs this winter. Walnut logs have been getting turned into railroad ties. I would say for the most part, figure pallet price, and a little more for the good ones. Good decent walnut logs (not veneer) 3 sides clear  are bringing at most about a dollar. These are the same logs that brought 2.00 or better a few years ago. I will be interested to see what others say about walnut logs in their area.

rickywashere

bout the same here walnut has dropped so much most loggers here dont even bother cutting it unless its a huge tree with 4 clear sides

WDH

In Georgia, like East Texas, there is no commercial walnut market since the walnut trees do not occur in enough abundance.   Any walnut that is harvested just gets added to the other hardwoods being logged and gets the same price.  For decent quality logs, I found out what the going price was for hardwood grade logs in the area, and that is what I felt to be a fair price because that is the only commercial alternative.  If the logs are low grade, then I would use palletlog prices. 

This speaks to the value of walnut logs in a commercial timber sale, not someone's pet yard tree.  If you pay the same price as the best grade logs are bringing, then you are being fair to the landowner since that is their only commercially viable alternative. 

Of course in the Midwest where walnut is abundant, it has its own commercial market and those prices can be determined by talking to a knowledgeable forester.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DRB

Low grade logs like you are describing I would offer about $300/1000.  If they are really poor then $250/1000. 

Gary_C

This past Wednesday, MN DNR had an auction and one sale with just over 15 MBF of Walnut mixed sawlogs and veneer that had been appraised at $2300/MBF and had gone unsold at previous sales was bid up to $3565/MBF. From what I heard, some out of state buyer was interested and may have bid on the sale.

Another logger told me that low grade Walnut had dropped so low in price that most ordinary Walnut was not worth buying. It took some exceptional Walnut to fetch good prices.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

If it were me, I would just cogitate on it a bit. Look at the price of a decent log on mill spec and start deducting from that price for what you think is going to be defect and bucking waste with handling and transporting added in. It's difficult for me or anyone to assess the value from the computer, we don't know the situation, ease of access or the equipment at your disposal.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodwalker

I was curious about the price in other parts of the country, I made the guy an offer of $200.00MBF when I went and looked at the logs. With having to haul a tractor 40 miles round trip, buck the logs, haul and go back for the tractor, I can't see paying any more.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

DRB

Sounds like a fair offer since you have to do the hard work. 

Ron Scott

Looks like you thought it through.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!