iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

J-line, Brodhead Garrett Lathe

Started by Dan_Shade, August 30, 2009, 09:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

A lady that my great aunt knows is looking to sell a lathe that her late husband owned. 

Do any of you guys know anything about this brand?  I don't know the model number yet.

I think I'll have my Dad go to take a look at it, but knowing him, he'll buy it anyways, then expect me to take it even if it's junk  :D

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

I've only seen two J-line lathes.  Both were heavy duty quality machines.  They came out of schools.  That's the total of my knowledge about the machine.

They certainly are worth a look...few more details and you could find out a bunch more info over on the owwm site.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

Well, my dad looked at it, I know him too well.  He told the lady he'd take it!

I'm thinking that maybe I can get him hooked on turning  :-)

I don't have room for a lathe right now.

Kbeitz

I just bought a J-line lathe that came out of a school.
It was at an auction and no one was bidding on it.
so I got it for $75.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Just Me

I have a J-line. Variable speed Reeves drive and 3 hp 3 phase motor. Super solid, heavy, no vibrations. Good lathe in my opinion.

The J-line was marketed to schools.

Larry

Kbeitz

I was wondering what the HP was.
I can see the motor but the motor label is un reachable.
I'm buying a static phase converter off E-bay to get it going.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

A static converter starts a 3 phase motor, than runs the motor on 2 of its 3 windings.  You only get 2/3's of the motor horsepower.  It will work fine so long as you only turn small spindles.  If you try to turn a bowl with a heavy cut the motor over heats and a winding will burn out.

That probably has a 1 horsepower motor.  VFD's in that size are fairly reasonable and run all 3 windings.  Much better way to run 3 phase stuff until you get over 3 horsepower.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Just Me

Quote from: Larry on September 21, 2015, 08:19:56 PM
A static converter starts a 3 phase motor, than runs the motor on 2 of its 3 windings.  You only get 2/3's of the motor horsepower.  It will work fine so long as you only turn small spindles.  If you try to turn a bowl with a heavy cut the motor over heats and a winding will burn out.

That probably has a 1 horsepower motor.  VFD's in that size are fairly reasonable and run all 3 windings.  Much better way to run 3 phase stuff until you get over 3 horsepower.

What he said. A VFD will give you good clean power, variable speed motor and soft start as a bonus and not cost all that much more. I get mine from Factorymation but there are other places as well.

Kbeitz

I ended up changing the motor to single phase.
I made a 2" and a 12" foot rest. It came with a 6".
It's working great.... Love it....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!