iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

remote thermometer for outdoor boiler

Started by simonmeridew, August 29, 2009, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

I'm into my second year with my Woodmaster outdoor boiler, love it, but before I fire it up for the winter, I'd like to have a way of monitoring the hot and return temperatures of the water, as a way of fine tuning the firing rate, and setting the boiler temperature and modifying it  with changing outdoor temps. Last year I just kept the boiler temp at 170 degrees all winter.
I've seen some probes online that go inside fittings etc, but I can't find them now. I have an infrared laser thermometer, but you don't get an accurate figure thru PEX, because of the insulating properties of the plastic.  Does anyone have any ideas where to look?
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Slabs

If you'll consider wire lines, automotive electric temp guages may be a solution.  They don't use much current so wire size can be minimal.  A stable power supply may be needed for accuracy but the  monolithic regulators (LM317/7812 etc) would probably suffice.  The auto gauges will probably be in the ranges you need.

You could even use multiple sensors and a multi-throw switch and one guage for monitoring different places along the fluid stream.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Glenn

Automotive thermometer - perfect idea !

My neighbour has a new outdoor furnace and it has a digital thermometer on the side of it that you can easily from the kitchen window eventhough it is quit some distance away.

Thank You Sponsors!