iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood you cut this

Started by woodmills1, September 07, 2003, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Lenny,
  If your belts are worn down they will cause the blades to break.  If I break more then one blade a week and it does not look like one that has been sharpened 4 or 5 times then I change belts.  They are cheaper then a blade.  I go through about two sets a year.
 ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Nobody got any advice on how to cut this ugly thing up?  

Dad cut veneer walnut for 25 years.  He probably left hundreds of these things in the woods.
Sawing since '94

AndyB

Bibbyman:

Find a woodturner and sell it to him/her without cutting it.  Woodturners are in love with burls. Makes some interesting turnings and the turner likes the challenge of cutting to get the most interesting grain pattern. ;D ;D

isawlogs

Bibbyman
    That wood make a nice cofee tables If sliced up thick enough
    I'm sure you could find someone near you that does rustic furniture  Maybe you could even pawn some of it to Mr. Jeff fur some of his projects ... He could put some of those beaver wood as legs under it .....and put in front of that nice fire place .... ;)
    I cut some burls for friends of mine and we normaly cut them 1 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch. we just shave the sides so we can get the mizer through it ,
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bibbyman

It's not my burl.  The customer has no idea what he want's out of it.  Just "saw it up". :-X  

I guess I could saw it into 4" thinck chunks. Then it could be re-sawn later  - if the user wanted to.  But what direction?  Thru-and-thru, Q-sawn?  Stand on end and saw like bollogna?
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

:'( :'( to bad it's not yours
  In that case I would saw it trough and trough. 4inch would yeald pieces that could be turned and or resawed later when he or she do decide on what they want . ;)
  I would saw it lenght wise to get the most out of it , four foot llong pieces would be nice
  No need to ask for pics of it .... ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

If it's a true burl, the direction shouldn't make any difference.  the grain in those things is  guesswork.  Usually there is no direction.  Don't think of cutting it into "something".  Cut it into lots of "somethings".  A large piece would be more valuable because the big sizes are so rare.  I wouldn't cut it too thick but would allow it to be laminated onto something else for strength if necessary.  Even a table top can be 1 inch. or even less if the owner is knowledgeable and will help with suggestions.  (not the case, apparently)
The small pieces will make Pens or small bowls, or handles for knives.  the outside natural edges can make paper weights or mounts for pictures. You finish the sawed side and mount a picture to it.  When someone picks up the strange piece of wood and turns it over they see the picture.

Resawing it is a good option if the customer understands resawing.  Most think that what the sawman gives them is how it's supposed to be.  I hate it when someone says "just cut it up into something I can use".

The value of a burl like that is in its raw form so the user can make out of it what he wants.  It's too bad you can't find the user. A serious woodworker would want some of it cut as thin as you could get it so he could make it go farther. :)

Bibbyman

I think I should get back with the owner and suggest he list it on Ebay or something.  He has already sold some wood on Ebay so he knows how.  That would get me off the hook.

It's probably at 4' long and 3' dia and envelopes the tree about 2/3 the way around.
Sawing since '94

Gus

Boy, I've left alot of those lying in the woods :'(
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Bibbyman

My dad cut walnut veneer off and on for 30 years an probably left hundreds in the woods.   If this one were mine, I'd probably dump in on the slab pile.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Why dontcha just offer to take the ugly thang off his hands for $50 or so? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Percy

Here in Terrace, there used to be a small veneer plant(Forwest) I think, anyhow, they had a big burl like the one you are showing Bibby. They sliced her up, Im not sure what kind of wood it was but the whole schmear was supposed to have been bought by Mercedes for dashboards. Apparrently they paid a whack/jag/herd of money for the veneer.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

Bibby, send it my way and I will skin it most quick.  I have no pride I will saw anything.   I sawed this today.
ARKANSAYWER

ARKANSAWYER

Percy

What issat Arky??
Looks like a small block or pulley of some sort. Was it hidden in the log or were you starin at the 'help" agin? ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

biziedizie

ARKANSAWYER

There was a bump on the log (not my help) and I chopped the bark off and look what I found.   I cut it out with the chain saw and got it pulled.  Best I can tell it was in there 30 years with a screw eye.  The pulley body was alum and it works fine.  I think I needed one of them any way. :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!