iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood you cut this

Started by woodmills1, September 07, 2003, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Here is a cut off from a 12 foot log that was too heavy for my loader.  I cut 9 feet off of this ugly bone and could just swing it into the trailer.  Question is would you try to get lumber from it?

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

Here is a shot of the 100 bd ft I got from it as well as the 89 ft from smaller just as obnozious logs.  The large one also had a wire and some big nails so I was limited in what I got.  And yse the board at the bottem is 19 inches.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

Yep!  No, is the answer. ;D
Frank Pender

woodmills1

Here is a shot of the leftovers from the three logs.  Look up and right to see the good stuff that had to get tossed due to wire and nails.  The smaller two really were junk, but hey the big one gave me 19, 2 at 17 and 2 at 15 wide.

woodmills1

If you think that is junk check out the bones I ahve been making 4x4 out of.

woodmills1

And the nice 4x4 I get from them. :D :D

Norm

DanG thats pretty good to get 4x4's out of those.

Yep we would have sawn it, sometimes that outer layer next to the bark can surprise you with what's there.

woodmills1

You sure are right there all clear till the nails just too bad it laid around and got the denim stain.

Minnesota_boy

Try wiping it down with Clorox and see if the stain goes away.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

woodmills1

If you look at the first picture you will see a dark blue/black ring all around the outside of the log.  this stain sets into the wood and doesnt come out.  I have tried bleach and oxalic acid to no avail.  Once it is above 70 degrees pine will stain in a matter of days.  The bone in the picture has been hangin around for over 2 years.  However the 4x4 will be used as dunnage by a steel fabrication company and they don't complain about the denim color.

ARKANSAWYER

I would have sawn it but then I have a WM as well.  I also have customers who like the denim pine and I keep it seperate for them.  I even found a guy in MO who like boards with nails and junk in them as he makes furniture and such.  He makes people feel bad becuase they do not want to buy handicap wood. ;D
   Some times it will surprise you what is inside and you just don't know till you look.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jason_WI

I would have a hard time cutting spalted maple again. A guy brought over 1000 bf of the stuff on saturday. Dryer than a popcorn fart. It took 4 blades to get through the stuff being that it was so dry. I had the water running full bore and I was starting to look for a garden hose. I couldn't cut 2 large 24" spalted maple logs. The band got hot and lost the set instantly and this is with .045, 9 degree double hard Wood-Mizer blades. I told him that if he wanted to buy blades I would cut it but said to take to a circle mill for those two big logs.....
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

FeltzE

Saw it...

It never fails to amaze me when I get a bunch of real nice lumber from an apparently poor quality log then get just the opposite from what looked like a good log...

Eric

woodmills1

Nothin like a good looking log with a couple of nails in it to ruin your day.

Percy

Yeah, Id cut it as well. I see alot of decent flat sawn boards on the outer portion of that log. Like Eric, somtimes I look at alog and think.."Sure looks like crap" only to find some of the neatest lookin boards in that pup. Just like folks I guess, ya cant judge em by their looks ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

biziedizie

Oh cool you got one of them short logs like I have and people think that I'm gonna burn it. I figure that if I'm gonna hack it up with the chainsaw I might aswell run it through the saw first to see what's inside it 8)
  There just might be some pretty wood in there 8)
  Got some very cool slabs out of stuff that I was going to use for firewood and I will post pics soon 8)

Steve

woodmills1

Remmber the pix is the cut off and the cut log was 9 foot.  I just couldnt lift the d_)m thing or non woulda been cut off.  Gonna make a lawn ornament outa the hollow cut off I think.  burn outa the inside lika the moderators and puta little wood model ofa bear ora skunk or beaver ina it. :D

ARKANSAWYER

I got this board from a log that Electric AL had in his firewood pile.  It was worth the haul from Iowa.   You just got to look some times.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Jason_WI

Arky,

Al is going to be pithed when he see's that picture.

Look's like there are a couple of soft spots but not too bad.

You could turn it into a $200 coffee table.

Use it as a board to mount a stuffed 40" Muskie....
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Paul_H

Very nice piece.Makes me want to dig through my junk pile again.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ARKANSAWYER

No soft spots, that ash was hard as a rock.   A guy in Shell Knob MO. made a table top from two pieces that went for $1,700.  He just paid $50 a board.  If I slice the junk thick and sticker it someone will buy it and pay dearly.   Electric Al says he can not sell any thing unless it is FAS.  Me I sell the FAS whole sale and keep the knots because I can sell it faster and for more money.  I have over 5,000 bdft of logs aging and getting bugs at any given time.  If it does not break in half when I pick it up it goes to "Wanda" and we  opens it up.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I got this ugly thing on my lot and don't know how to saw it up.

Walnut burl about 4' long and 3' across on a chunk of log about 14" dia.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Don't be too quick to saw it.  Advertise and sell it like it is or offer custom sawing with the purchase. :)

Lenny

I`ve cut A lot of ugly stuff like that.About 30MBF of hemlock thats been piled for about 7 years.Slab it a little heavy And the rest is ok for the most part
 The pile was restacked every year and the bark was mostley taken off.that probally saved the stuff.
 Same guy has about 25MBF of white oak about the same.get past the checking and its ok. Take a peice of firewood from the ends.
 He also has cherry and hickery but havn`t cut any of that yet.
 The one thang I have experienced is broken blades.I`ve never broken a blade until this hemlock.5 so far.
 Last winter I cut frozen hemlock that was piled about 2 years and never broke a blade. Any Ideas?
Nothang was changed on the mill except the belts.
                      Lenny

Thank You Sponsors!