iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powder or spray treatment?

Started by TimJr, August 26, 2009, 06:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimJr

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a woodmizer lt 15. What is the easiest and most cost effecive way to treat my rough cut lumber? I have heard of throwing the powder borax and also spraying. Which do you prefer?
Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

Magicman

First, let me say Welcome to FF.

I've not used borax, but I have used Timbor (spelling?) which is a "store bought" borax product used for ppb's.  I mixed it with water and used a garden sprayer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PineNut

I have been using a homemade solution similar to Boracare. This solution contains glycol which I believe is a large improvement over the plain borax solutions. I flood the lumber with the solution. You can find a picture of my treatment equipment here:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,27721.msg543511.html#msg543511

backwoods sawyer

I also use a garden sprayer for treating the Myrtlewood.
I have seen a dip tank used in one of the big mills, where the chain that the wood was traveling on took the lumber thru a long vat with hold down arms to keep it submerged. Another method that I have used and maintained was a spray bar system for fungicide on the out feed of the planer. A second spray bar was used for applying a stain so that the wood was all uniform in color. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!