iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Locust

Started by Norm, September 07, 2003, 04:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Could someone tell me what wood species would be similar to black locust in specific gravity. It is not listed in my moisture meter list. Or if you know a place where different species are listed than the few that came in the booklet with my meter. Thanks.

Norm

sawwood

Morn_F my Missour Woods Book gives Black Locust as
 having Specific Gravity at 66 and it looks like Persimmon
 and Hickory are close to that. What type of Meter do you
 have ? Have you got the kiln up and running yet ? Some
 week end this fall sure would like to come up and see
 you place again.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Norm

Thanks sawwood, the meter is a delmhorst r2000 if I remember right.

Nope haven't got the new kiln chamber built yet so I've been using my morton shed as a big solar kiln. I put some white oak in this spring and checked today and it's down to 8.5%. Works great in the summer but the winter is a different story.

Come on up this fall when the trees are turning colors, really gets pretty here then.

Larry

SG - Shagbark hickory .74, black locust .69, and white oak .67 @ 12 percent MC.  The SG of hickory and white oak is the closest I could find in my book to black locust.

The manual for my Electrophysics meter says the correction factor is the same as beech across the MC range.  SG for beech is .64.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Carl_B

I am using a wagner 205 pinless moisture meter the spec. gravity listed in my book for black locust is .69  Carl B.

Don P

Wood Handbook,
Black locust .66-.69
Mockernut,pignut, shagbark and shellbark hickory and swamp white oak run in that range. Just confirming the others  :)
Wood Handbook is online at the Forest Products Laboratory website. The info in my hardcopy was in chapter 4, table 4-2.

Ours are eaten up and brown from leafminers this time of year, starting about a month ago they began browning. Happens every year...do you all get this?

Norm

We don't get that here DonP, even in our garden leafminers are rare. Tent caterpillars get our trees about this time of year.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I sure appreciate it.

Thank You Sponsors!