iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bear hunting 2009

Started by Jeff, August 25, 2009, 12:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog

Well it's official, Jeff has more ruffed grouse on his property than bears. ;D
We took a quick walk around and put up a few just in a 100yrds. :)

SwampDonkey

I flushed one yesterday out of some alders. All I see is singles mostly. I did flush a couple on the woodlot last week though. They are a lot wilder around here than in the back woods. Years ago I remember huge flocks, a couple of clutches would come together in the fall and form a huge flock 12-16 birds. It really was not much sport to shooting those back woods birds. They'd only fly up maybe 10-15 feet in a tree and you could just pick them off. The rest wouldn't fly, they would just freeze with their necks outstretched and head tilted to side looking at ya. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

We had a momma bear and 4 cubs at our gamecam last week.
I wonder if she had all of them or adopted a couple.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

It's possible they are all hers to. I've seen them with four a couple times here on the farm. Seen a lot of momma's with 3 cubs. Lots to eat, big families. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Jon, that is a perfect pic!

It is deer season and my nephew has already brought me two.  I was going to work in the shop on this dreary cloudy day, but I better cut up and grind venison.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Got my first doe last night, unfortunately, with the car.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I hate it when that happens  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

Yes, not the best way. ;)
~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey Texas Ranger, I try not to use the car for deer, tears up the meat too much  :D

Ron Scott

Bear Bites Hunter.

Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you. A bow hunter was attacked in his tree stand in Emmet County by an adult bear and three cubs. The attack may have been prompted by the odor of fried food from a party the hunter attended just before taking to the woods. He was treated for bite wounds to his leg.

DNRE listserve

Note to Jeff:

Attend a party before you bear hunt!
~Ron

Raider Bill

CAn you carry a side arm when bow hunting there? Can't in many states.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

You can if you are bear hunting with a bow.

Ron, I think something is fishy about this whole bear attack story. I've been following it on T.V. and I think there is more to it then this guy is letting on. I kinda think this fellow had to make up some stories to hide that he may have been baiting for deer.  What he describes just seems far fetched.  To top it off, he's to scared to get down, but calls his girl friend back to get him when she comes looking for him?  I guess a good way to make a break for it if the bears decide to eat the girl friend.

Here are some links to the story.

Black Bears Attack Hunter In Emmet County

Here you can pick out several other related stories

http://www.9and10news.com/Search/?s=bear

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff, will there be a "Bear Hunting 2010" thread this year?

isawlogs

So you have a bear chewing on your leg ... best thing you come up with is call your love one to come and fetch you .... Yup there a winner for sure.  Jeff did you get that email I sent ya. The one with the bear in the stand ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 14, 2010, 07:52:34 PM
Jeff, will there be a "Bear Hunting 2010" thread this year?

Nope, no permits. We do have bear though. I have a few trail cam pics.

Quote from: isawlogs on October 14, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

So you have a bear chewing on your leg ... best thing you come up with is call your love one to come and fetch you .... Yup there a winner for sure.  Jeff did you get that email I sent ya. The one with the bear in the stand ???

Yep.  Now I can believe that one.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Reddog

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 14, 2010, 12:09:53 PM
CAn you carry a side arm when bow hunting there? Can't in many states.

Quote from: Jeff on October 14, 2010, 12:34:57 PM
You can if you are bear hunting with a bow.

To clarify this is only because firearm and archery season are all run together. So it is your choice which method to use or you can carry both. The thing is if you are not carrying under the CPL you need to wear Orange while having both methods in the stand with you.
There is one management area hunt that has an archery only season, there you can not carry a firearm while bow hunting.

SwampDonkey

On Sunday or Monday morning a 180-200 lb black bear was struck on the Juniper highway. I imagine it was a logging truck. Looked like a freight train went over it.

Thank You Sponsors!