iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rot same as rust?

Started by northernss454, August 23, 2009, 10:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

Hi all ,I have a question,If you have a bit of rot inside tree from an old tree wound will it continue to spread or just stay the same after the wood is dry.So is it like rust that when it starts there no stopping it,or will it just dry up and stay the same???? Thanks.

beenthere

northern454
Likely no good answer, as it may stay compartmentalized and not spread, or it may continue to grow (and grow slow or grow fast).  ::) ::) ::) Depends on a variety of things, none of which are real easy to identify or control.

Others may define it better, as that isn't a very promising answer.

What is the history of the tree, what kind of tree, where is it growing, and what size is it? A pic would be great.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

northernss454

White spruce,15" in diameter,I used it for my log cabin,the tree was a bit damaged,so I used it over a window,when I cut out window i noticed the rot.Its a lot of work to remove now,as it has logs scribed over it.I will post pics tommorow.
Thanks

Dodgy Loner

No need to remove the log, as long as it is structurally sound. The decay will stop once the log is dry.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

northernss454

Thank You Sponsors!