iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

026 high speed mix

Started by park ranger, August 20, 2009, 01:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

park ranger

My e-bay stihl 026 had some bad gas (water and crud)  ran in it so I took the carb apart and cleaned it good ( a soaking in carb cleaner and compressed air). 
So now it starts and idles fine but the high speed mix screw doesn't do a thing and I can screw it in all the way and it runs the same.  It runs like it needs to be leaned out, almost peaks out but not.  It also seems to use a lot of gas, I don't get much cutting done for the gas I'm using (40-1 stihl oil).  What to do next?

ladylake

Sounds like your needle valve still has some crud or isn't adjusted right letting to much fuel in.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Lean Ranger,it doesn't have a limited adjustment screw does it? If so remove it and adjust properly,if not its probibly more crud as stated.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

567paloggger

never buy chainsaws off ebay lol ive done that before and got burnt

Magicman

I hope that you are not finding out why he sold it  :(    More carburator cleaner and compressed air.  After you get it going, no ethanol fuel....
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

At times I have worked on carbs that air just won't clean out, So I will take a small piece of brass or copper wire (from a wire brush or multi strand wire)  an clean out the offending holes a few times blowing air as well then checking the circuit with some WD40 or like by spraying some with the straw on the can in the input side to see if it comes out where it is suppose to in the venturi of the carb (eye protection required) this also helps flush out stuff that has been loosened up by the wire.

Hope this helps!

ladylake

From what he says it's running rich, not like a clogged carb but with a needle letting to much fuel in if he can turn the high n all the way and it still runs rich.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ironmower

The 026 I worked on last week had only one mixture screw. It was made here in the U.S.
What was purpose of this? Just can't get it dialed in. Is it possible to change the carb?

I agree, air won't always get it clean. Those holes sure are small.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Rocky_J

Yes, those fixed jet carbs can be replaced with a fully adjustable model. Stihl went through a phase where they got really stingy with the fuel on those saws in order to meet EPA guidelines. You used to be able to buy a replacement carb for about $65 (less than 1 hour of shop time at the local dealer) but now they are pushing $100 for some models.

Al_Smith

Many saw manufacturers used fixed main jet carbs at one time or another .Some were set rich to attempt to alliviate people setting them lean and burning the saw engine up thus leading to a warrentee problem .

The 026 originally used a Walbro model WT 22B  which an adjustable model .

You need to find a friendly saw shop and just buy a handfull of them[used] if you are handy with carbs .If not though like RJ said they are costly for a new one .

Carbs I might add are something that confusses a lot of people and causes no end of frustration .Myself included at one time in my life until I just hung in there until I got it .

ladylake

Also as Rocky mentioned on the 170 thread check or throw away the muffler screen, they wont rev at all if clogged.   Steve

Al_Smith

A very valid point .Fuel can't get in if the exhaust can't get out .

Thank You Sponsors!