iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Cook MP-32

Started by MTU Husky, August 19, 2009, 11:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTU Husky

Fairchance and I tried out our new Cook Mp-32 saw the other weekend. It came with trailer package, loading ramps, 10 blades, cant hook, blade alignment tool, and 25 hp motor. It has a 32"x16'-0" log capabilities.

We're learning to cut on free cedar logs. Cedar is probably not the best to learn on due to the irregularities.

Do you load the log with the large end towards the blade or the small end towards the blade? Does it matter?

backwoods sawyer

Something is wrong with my monitor, your mill is too shiny...
I load the small end towards me when I can, it just saves steps in leveling the log up. When the logs are decked big end to me, I mill them that way. If there were, no challenge to it, it would no longer be fun, so go get that thing dirty.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

I like to have the small end towards me when I'm trying to get 6" lumber out of a 9" log, most times I don't care which way it's on.  Nice mill.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

I mill them as they lay because I have limited handling capability. It really doesn't matter IMHO.
Cedar is nice stuff to mill - it is very easy to get along with and well behaved. It will cut straight with a dull blade and I have never seen a rise or dip in the cut with it.

What are your plans for loading? You didn't mention getting the log loader. We manual mill owners have a challenge there. Happy sawing and your mill won't stay clean long.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Meadows Miller

Gday

That thing sure is pretty  ;)   ;D ;D I remamber my 1st shiny New mill seems a long time ago now ;) ;D 8) With me it dosent phase me which way the logs go on the mill as ive had my eye in for a fair while now  ;) :D ;D 8) Like Backwoods get er dirty  ;) and have some fun while your at it mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

MTU Husky

Don't worry, I plan on getting the mill dirty real soon! Need to build a pole barn.

Magicman

Welcome to sawmilling and congratulations on a very nice rig.  I generally like the small end toward me, but as others have said, when I drive up to a job, they are as they are.

Now if there is a chance that the log is reaching your diameter limits, then carry the mill head down and back up to the butt at the height that the cut will be.  Make sure that the mill will pass the log.  It's no fun backing out of a cut.  When you do have to back out of a cut, you will need a wedge to lift the cut and a piece of sawblade to clean the sawdust out.  This has nothing to do with your mill, but it will apply when the butt is on the other end and you didn't check to be sure that the mill would pass, and you have to "back up".  Good luck and happy sawing..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum.  I bet you will like your mill....and when you need some help with it Cooks will only be a phone call away....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

That is a nice mill.  You are going to love it!

Those pictures should get the Cedarman excited :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chico

I've always sawed butt toward the saw shortens the lines and you can tell if it's too big much quicker you'd be surprised how much time those short lines save versus going all the way to the other end tring the butt reversing etc
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Tom

Don't through those slabs away.  If you put the sawn side down on a thicker one and run it through a table saw, you will create live edge trimming (1xboards) for furniture and even rooms, where quarter round would be used.

It also makes great picture frames and mirror frames.

If thick enough, it makes good stools and benches.

It will serve for blanks for turning pens.

Catch the sawdust and stuff it into a sock (or make beanbag type stuff with country, ornamental cloth) and you will have sachets that make great Christmas presents or stuff to give to customers down the road in exchange for a good meal, or sell at flea markets for $1 or $3 each.

Cedar can be used right down to the nub if you have the patience.
:)

Thank You Sponsors!