iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Tongs 101

Started by Magicman, August 19, 2009, 08:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I've mentioned end tongs on several posts and threads.  My first one was made in a blacksmith shop and is now retired.  I now have two that I made from broken tongs.  The first picture shows what was left after making the larger tong.  You can see where the broken one was blacksmith welded and broke again.  (probably by my granddad).  I have just found so many uses for these little jewels.   How do you like my "skidder" .... 1965 Oliver.

Unloading an "empty" log.   No worry about where the "balance point" is.     

Moving a 12 footer

Moving logs using the mill log clamp.

Here is a 20 footer.  Notice how the tongs pull tight into the log.  No worry about balancing    ;D

Adjusting a log on the deck using roller toe boards and side supports

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ronnie tucker

in tn we call that a swamp hook ronnie tucker tn logger

backwoods sawyer

Looks like adding a couple of those handy dandy little hooks to the collection would not be a bad option.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bibbyman

Looks like LogRite should be looking into adding this item to their list.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 20, 2009, 04:37:21 AM
Looks like LogRite should be looking into adding this item to their list.  ;)

Right Bibby !!!   It seems like when grapples came along, which will handle multiple logs, this little item was forgotten.   There is a definite use for it with "single log users" such as ourselves.

Maybe instead of "plugging" it, I should have been building and selling them.... ;D ;D ;D

****As a side note:  NT sells an item called a Log Grab Hook.  DO NOT BUY IT,  unless you just want 3' of chain and a worthless hook... :(   I know, I tried it... :(   I finally chopped the hook off and used the chain. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ronnie tucker

a log grab would not work to pick up a log.it is used to snake logs. you drive it in with a grab hammer. these are used mainly in hill country and the mountains .they do not come loose as bad as tongs on down grades.to take it out you use the hammer to knock out of the log. ronnie tucker tn logger   i use them quite a bit myself with a log cart and two or four mules.

jimparamedic

I know them as log dogs my grandfather and a close friend of the family they are gone now but they said that the log dog was used in the woods to get the logs out of our hilly county instead of the log tong because they were safer the dog would come out if the log started to roll saving the horse team and driver the tong were use only on flat ground. For those who dont know what I mean by tongs they are the hooks that are bolted together. I use log dogs with the cat head on my tractor.

Ga. bow-man

gotta have a set of them log dogs, swamp hooks, log hooks. We are gonna
call um "GA. LOG DAWGS".

Magicman

Quote from: ronnie tucker on August 20, 2009, 09:50:22 AM
a log grab would not work to pick up a log.it is used to snake logs. you drive it in with a grab hammer.

Thanks for the explanation, ronnie.  I just knew that they didn't work for my purpose.  Always time to learn... :P... :)

Jim_Wahl

Whatever you call them, I  bought an extra pair of hooks the size that go to the Logrite 78 inch mega hook.
They sure work good in a whole bunch of different uses, including end dogs. (I hope they don't mind too much).
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Thank You Sponsors!