iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar plank salmon?

Started by Magicman, August 18, 2009, 03:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Well, we don't have salmon in Mississippi, but Sam's Club does.  Been hearing about "cedar plank salmon" long enough.  So I sliced off a couple of cedar boards (probably the wrong kind).  ERC is the only kind that we have.  I googled "cedar plank salmon" and found out how "the rest of the world" lives.   

I thought rednecks ate chittlins, chicken feet, and grits.  Anyway, I'm soaking the board it in water.  Between now and 5:00, I've got to figure out what seasoning to use.  I can think of salt, lemon juice, Italian dressing.....well I guess I can always eat the plank.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Do not use ERC for it. It has oils that will make the fish unedible.

Do you have any other woods like black cherry or hard maple you could use instead?

DanG

What Norm said!  I tried a couple of commercially produced planks of white cedar once and didn't like the flavor it gave the fish either.  I'll stick with aluminum foil from now on. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Yes, I have cherry.  I'll go and whack an end off of a board and run it through the planer to clean it up.

Thanks guys.....I think..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Magicman I've read the same things you have about cooking on cedar planks and have to shake my head. The common wood is WRC which I have a bit of an allergy to. Now why on earth would anyone want that flavor on their fish is beyond me but to each  his own. My favorite way to do it is with foil packets. I put in some butter, salt and pepper and just a touch of fresh squeezed lemon.

Now you've got my stomach grumbling just thinking of it. :D

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all just don't get it.  ::) ::) ::)

It's a YUPPIE thing.  ::) ::)

It is big in the Pacific Northwest. Thing is, you don't cook the fish for very long.

I wrote once, about our customer that served Salmon Fillets on the Special Cedar we had been sawing, in Florida. Seems it is called Cypress-Cedar, and something else I can't recall, at the moment.  >:( >:(  It has a rough, Circular brown bark, and the wood is tan colored.

Ennyhoo, he put it in a pie pan of water with Wrochester Sauce in it. Laid the fish on it, and sprinkled it with seasonings. Cooked for just a couple minutes, in the broiler. Has a Cedar smell, but, not like Eastern White, or Eastern Red OR Western Red. It's just different, and is only found around the Sebastian-Vero Beach area ???

Said his customers raved about it, and we sold him 3" X 6" X 3/8" pieces, 500 at a time.

Sold him 5-6 messes, and then them Hurrykanes came and washed his Restaurant away. ???  ::) ::) >:( >:(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Magicman

OK, we did it.  The DW looked on the web until she found a receipt with the ingredients that she thought we would like.  I'll fess up and admit that I  followed DanG's advice and used an "Alcoa" board.  Butttt, we got in a hurry and ATE the evidence before I took a picture.  Well, maybe next time...... digin1

woodsteach

I'll second the cherry plank instead of the cedar.  My wife and kids love the salmon done this way.  Usually with sea salt and pepper or maybe a mix like williahams (sp)

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Magicman

Shor wuz better'n ah chicken foot sammich..... :D :D :D

01crewcab

Here in the PNW we do use Western Red Cedar, although my favorite is Alder. To a prior poster I am not a Yuppie >:( For what it's worth the Native Americans were using plank cooking long before us white folks settled here in the PNW
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

beenthere

;D ;D
I'd guess the indians needed something to keep the fish out of the fire, as they didn't have a fry pan.  :)

I suppose they sometimes wrapped it in large leaves and things too, using what was available to get it cooked.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

You can always mosey on down to the big box store and buy a couple of fence boards.  Or get the "genuine" stuff from William Sonoma. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Bet the indians used a lot of flat rocks.

gary

I bet a lot of Indians ate the plank instead of the fish 

Magicman

Quote from: gary on August 20, 2009, 06:51:03 AM
I bet a lot of Indians ate the plank instead of the fish 

:D :D :D   We were trotlining one night and only caught a garfish.  We ate it, but I think that that plank would have been better.  Maybe the Indians were right after all..... :D

LeeB

grind that gar up with lots of garlic and make into balls. bread and deep fry. Ain't bad.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Yup, but on the Mississippi River bank, we didn't have a grinder or garlic.  We just "steaked" it up and dropped it in the oil.  If I remember that night correctly, we should have been frying the skitters..... :D

LeeB

Ya'll got a bag limit on them? Skeeters that is.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dodgy Loner

Hmmm. My great-grandad told me that the only proper way to eat a gar was to clean it, stuff it with a brick and bake it at 350o for 5 hours. Then throw away the gar and eat the brick ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Modat22

I kind of like the taste of WRC, love brats cooked over a cedar fire.
remember man that thy are dust.

WDH

For all you plank cookers, here is a question.

I assume that you can only cook on an individual plank once, or can you use it more than once?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

Depending on the species and the thickness of the plank some can be used many times. At least that what is written in the book I read! ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

01crewcab

Quote from: ellmoe on August 20, 2009, 07:47:09 PM
   Depending on the species and the thickness of the plank some can be used many times. At least that what is written in the book I read! ;D
What he said ;D
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Magicman

I looked on the web and that's what it said also.....but we used foil.... ;D

StorminN

I agree... here in the Northwest, the plank cooking or "planked fish" thing is sort of a yuppie or high-class restaurant thing these days... but it's tasty!

I cut cedar and alder planks for a local restaurant once in a while. They have a big wood-fired oven that's always about 650F... they soak the planks, but the planks still get charred. They're able to reuse them a few times. They like 6" wide x 1/2" thick planks, whatever width. The thinner planks allow the heat to transfer up from the bricks on the bottom of the oven. The restaurant chop saws the planks to about 6"x8". They do the fish and the wood-fired veggies right on the plank. I normally don't order salmon at a restaurant, because it's expensive, and I can usually do a better job myself... but this restaurant is an exception... their food is REALLY good. They do salmon on alder and cedar, and black cod on alder.

I think the Natives here might have cooked on planks, but I've also seen boiling boxes (cedar boxes) in the local museum, so I think they steamed and boiled a lot of stuff, too. They would put rocks in the fire and then drop the hot rocks into the water in the boxes.

I've only had Native-style roasted salmon a couple of times, but it's really good, too. The salmon is split and splayed out on a stick, and the sticks are arranged around an alder fire... smoky and tasty, done like this:

-Norm.

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!