iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alligator in the Pond

Started by Mooseherder, August 17, 2009, 10:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

This is a video of a very small Alligator we noticed was in the pond tonight.
It happens like this almost every year.  We'll catch him with a rubber worm and then release it by our canal out back.  They usually high tail it after that.  At no time was the dog in danger while filming. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTegvkW2keM

fishpharmer

They taste like chicken, the smaller the better. :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

Momma can't be too far away. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

I was mowing last night and noticed the Gator was still hanging out 3 weeks later with no intentions of leaving because he is finding all the fish needs right here. 
Made a couple passes with the rider and he was on the bank eating his fish and wasn't moving away when I passed.  I decided to get the video and drive up on it again. 
That little bugger lept about six feet into the pond with the fish in his mouth when I got off the mower and close enough. :o
We have a small dog and cat that have no fear of being next to the pond and usually are around it.
Our daughters also have smaller dogs and bring them when the come visit.  They also hang around the pond.  My neighbor said he saw it go after some ducks a few days ago so it was time to do something about it.
The first minute of the video is from last night.  The last 4 minutes are from this morning.
My SIL came over this morning, caught and released it back by the canal.
We're hoping it doesn't come back.

The video quality gets better halfway through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPrBivRNIo

fishpharmer

MH what kinda fish did that gator have in its mouth.  Looked like a big fish for a small pond.  What kinda fish you have in that pond?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

We have Bass, Tilapia, Gar, Shad, Sunfish and once in a while some walking Catfish come and go.
That Gator had been feasting on Tilapia.

Mooseherder

Well, either he is back or  maybe it is a different one.  It did look a little bigger.
This was from a couple days ago , he may have left again because 3 River Otters showed up to fish today.  I'll post that video later.  This one of the gator is only 13 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR6jsjnhro

Magicman

I didn't realize that you had gators.

We passed through your town in '95 traveling from Nova Scotia to Quebec..... :)  Beautiful country.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Quote from: Magicman on September 16, 2009, 09:24:04 PM
I didn't realize that you had gators.

We passed through your town in '95 traveling from Nova Scotia to Quebec..... :)  Beautiful country.
Our Camp is up in the beautiful country.  I'm stuck in South Florida right now trying to earn a living. :D

Here are the Otters.  My wife said they stayed for 3 hours today in scorching heat.  She went out a few minutes at a time trying to get some footage.  She thought she saw all of them come out of the water to go to the bathroom.  I guess because they eat in the pond. :D 
Before she had the video in hand.  One on them was eating a Snake.  Another was fighting with a Snapping Turtle over a fish and the Snapping Turtle won.  It made the Otter cry out like he was hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWkOtD4vzi8

Magicman

:-[  My dad always said "It's good to know, but better to understand".  I was trying to visualize  gators with icicles on their butts..... :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chico

Next time you catch the gator notch one of his tail flutes and you'll know if he keeps coming back or it's a new one Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Mooseherder

My wife video taped a new visitor on Thursday.  Kevin came over today to see if we could catch and remove him from the pond.  There wasn't any sign of him today. ::)
There's also a Green Backed Heron in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6jPA2qNfU

Mooseherder

This is the same Alligator at my neighbor's pond.
He is terrified of Gators and will stay inside.
I caught him twice but didn't hook him.
My SIL wouldn't have missed. ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMFByC9absQ

WDH

That gator otter know better than to keep coming around or he will become Phish's chicken.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

isawlogs

You need to call the " Swamp People " !!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Busy Beaver Lumber

My wife would absolutely freak out if we had a pond with alligators swimming in it. We had a field mouse in the trailer last year that decided to make his first appearance when I was down by the lake fishing, and I could hear her scream from about 500 feet away.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Mooseherder

He seems to have left us.  Haven't seen any signs of him for a while now.

Ironwood

I was in life guard training in Palmdale Fla. w/ a troubled teen camp I worked for and the quote was "there are NO gators in the lake, its fenced" soooooo while in our 2-3 hour survival swim I am on the outer perimeter on the big open side of the lake, keeping a watch on the boys. and I spin around to see two eyes just off the water, I yell to the head staff (my boss) "hey if there are no gators tell me what that is!!!!" , we were almost done so we cleared off and called someone in to catch it. We were in that lake everyday for weeks, hours and hours of training and swimming. HELLO! Northern boy here aiint fond of sharing the lake w/ gators.
So if not swimming, then biking. Canoeed in the Fish Eating Creek as well, turtles on the logs, BIG gators in the water and banks, and snakes hanging from the trees, STAY in the boats boys. They listened REAL well  ;D :D

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Mooseherder

We have another visitor.  He has been sunning himself the last few days on the pond bank with a friendly turtle.
I am walking towards him with the Camera for the third time hoping he runs towards the canal instead of the pond.
He keeps running the wrong way. ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFGJajIROK0

Mooseherder

We've had a visitor the last month or so.  My wife keeps seeing him on most days but he always eludes me or my SIL.  Today he was on the bank when I got home and let me get closer but jumped way before the ordinary.  I'm thinking we may have caught him before is why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzycXbCplk&feature=youtube

DR_Buck

Time to start fishing with dynamite.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

For something 300 Million years old, they don't do too bad.

Are you planning on frying or grilling in the new grill pit  ??? :D.  You could always fatten him up so that when I come down to visit I can get to meet him in person  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Yeah!  I need to finish him off with some corn and alfalfa. :D
He'll be gone when I goes to gettin' him.

WDH

He looks pretty spry for an ancient creature.

Thank You Sponsors!