iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alligator in the Pond

Started by Mooseherder, August 17, 2009, 10:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

This is a video of a very small Alligator we noticed was in the pond tonight.
It happens like this almost every year.  We'll catch him with a rubber worm and then release it by our canal out back.  They usually high tail it after that.  At no time was the dog in danger while filming. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTegvkW2keM

fishpharmer

They taste like chicken, the smaller the better. :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

Momma can't be too far away. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

I was mowing last night and noticed the Gator was still hanging out 3 weeks later with no intentions of leaving because he is finding all the fish needs right here. 
Made a couple passes with the rider and he was on the bank eating his fish and wasn't moving away when I passed.  I decided to get the video and drive up on it again. 
That little bugger lept about six feet into the pond with the fish in his mouth when I got off the mower and close enough. :o
We have a small dog and cat that have no fear of being next to the pond and usually are around it.
Our daughters also have smaller dogs and bring them when the come visit.  They also hang around the pond.  My neighbor said he saw it go after some ducks a few days ago so it was time to do something about it.
The first minute of the video is from last night.  The last 4 minutes are from this morning.
My SIL came over this morning, caught and released it back by the canal.
We're hoping it doesn't come back.

The video quality gets better halfway through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPrBivRNIo

fishpharmer

MH what kinda fish did that gator have in its mouth.  Looked like a big fish for a small pond.  What kinda fish you have in that pond?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

We have Bass, Tilapia, Gar, Shad, Sunfish and once in a while some walking Catfish come and go.
That Gator had been feasting on Tilapia.

Mooseherder

Well, either he is back or  maybe it is a different one.  It did look a little bigger.
This was from a couple days ago , he may have left again because 3 River Otters showed up to fish today.  I'll post that video later.  This one of the gator is only 13 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR6jsjnhro

Magicman

I didn't realize that you had gators.

We passed through your town in '95 traveling from Nova Scotia to Quebec..... :)  Beautiful country.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Quote from: Magicman on September 16, 2009, 09:24:04 PM
I didn't realize that you had gators.

We passed through your town in '95 traveling from Nova Scotia to Quebec..... :)  Beautiful country.
Our Camp is up in the beautiful country.  I'm stuck in South Florida right now trying to earn a living. :D

Here are the Otters.  My wife said they stayed for 3 hours today in scorching heat.  She went out a few minutes at a time trying to get some footage.  She thought she saw all of them come out of the water to go to the bathroom.  I guess because they eat in the pond. :D 
Before she had the video in hand.  One on them was eating a Snake.  Another was fighting with a Snapping Turtle over a fish and the Snapping Turtle won.  It made the Otter cry out like he was hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWkOtD4vzi8

Magicman

:-[  My dad always said "It's good to know, but better to understand".  I was trying to visualize  gators with icicles on their butts..... :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chico

Next time you catch the gator notch one of his tail flutes and you'll know if he keeps coming back or it's a new one Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Mooseherder

My wife video taped a new visitor on Thursday.  Kevin came over today to see if we could catch and remove him from the pond.  There wasn't any sign of him today. ::)
There's also a Green Backed Heron in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6jPA2qNfU

Mooseherder

This is the same Alligator at my neighbor's pond.
He is terrified of Gators and will stay inside.
I caught him twice but didn't hook him.
My SIL wouldn't have missed. ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMFByC9absQ

WDH

That gator otter know better than to keep coming around or he will become Phish's chicken.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

isawlogs

You need to call the " Swamp People " !!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Busy Beaver Lumber

My wife would absolutely freak out if we had a pond with alligators swimming in it. We had a field mouse in the trailer last year that decided to make his first appearance when I was down by the lake fishing, and I could hear her scream from about 500 feet away.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Mooseherder

He seems to have left us.  Haven't seen any signs of him for a while now.

Ironwood

I was in life guard training in Palmdale Fla. w/ a troubled teen camp I worked for and the quote was "there are NO gators in the lake, its fenced" soooooo while in our 2-3 hour survival swim I am on the outer perimeter on the big open side of the lake, keeping a watch on the boys. and I spin around to see two eyes just off the water, I yell to the head staff (my boss) "hey if there are no gators tell me what that is!!!!" , we were almost done so we cleared off and called someone in to catch it. We were in that lake everyday for weeks, hours and hours of training and swimming. HELLO! Northern boy here aiint fond of sharing the lake w/ gators.
So if not swimming, then biking. Canoeed in the Fish Eating Creek as well, turtles on the logs, BIG gators in the water and banks, and snakes hanging from the trees, STAY in the boats boys. They listened REAL well  ;D :D

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Mooseherder

We have another visitor.  He has been sunning himself the last few days on the pond bank with a friendly turtle.
I am walking towards him with the Camera for the third time hoping he runs towards the canal instead of the pond.
He keeps running the wrong way. ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFGJajIROK0

Mooseherder

We've had a visitor the last month or so.  My wife keeps seeing him on most days but he always eludes me or my SIL.  Today he was on the bank when I got home and let me get closer but jumped way before the ordinary.  I'm thinking we may have caught him before is why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzycXbCplk&feature=youtube

DR Buck

Time to start fishing with dynamite.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

For something 300 Million years old, they don't do too bad.

Are you planning on frying or grilling in the new grill pit  ??? :D.  You could always fatten him up so that when I come down to visit I can get to meet him in person  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Yeah!  I need to finish him off with some corn and alfalfa. :D
He'll be gone when I goes to gettin' him.

WDH

He looks pretty spry for an ancient creature.

Texas Ranger

Danny, I am sorry, just cannot help it.  Your pretty spry for an old retired forester. 8) You opened the door, and here I am.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Old and spry is not a bad combination  :D.

thecfarm

Jeff is about to go on his road trip. Wait for him to get there,and than tell him he has to catch dinner.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Once its caught , tell um he needs to fix it. He should know how he watched the Swamp people do it.  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

We had 2 alligators in the pond today.  One was bigger than the other and the bigger one got away.
The smaller one was captured and released in the back canal.
Here is the one that got away. ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMTJV2aBI30&feature=youtube

WDH

Shoot em, Elizabeth, shoot em!

Norm

That bigger one is eating size!

Mooseherder

Here is the one caught and released.
The video I took of this one is only able to be viewed on my camera for some reason.
It doesn't play on my computer or let me upload it to movie maker or utube. ::)
This last clip was at the very end of it.  Too bad because it was an interesting catch.
It was hooked under the front arm and was quite a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1mggHi9_0Q&feature=youtube

Mooseherder

This guy has been hanging out in between our pond and our neighbor's pond.
I had set up a game cam on a small Palm tree on the other side to try and get pictures of him up close but he hasn't been to that side since I put it up.  The Cam did catch a Raccoon on Saturday night.  The Raccoon is dead today down by the canal and now surrounded by Buzzards. ::)
Either a turtle bit him, the gator or snake?
Here is a picture of the gator.  He is slim but around 5 foot with the tail.

WH_Conley

And you don't have him on the grill?
Bill

Mooseherder

Too many folks within earshot of the bang. ;D

doctorb

I thought the raccoon was already dead! :D :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Mooseherder

I have a picture of that poor raccoon alive. It's on the card of the game cam next to the pond.  Too dark to go retrieve it at the moment. :D

Texas Ranger

Went to a wild game supper Saturday night, where one of the offerings was coon.  Bar-b-cued.  Well folks, I have eaten coon before, and it has not changed, it  is tough, and will work your jaw muscles.

Gator is wet land chicken, only red meat.

Oh, at the dinner, black buck and elk wraps were spectacular.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Glenn,

Alligator pizza done in your outside oven would be nice  ;D.

Mooseherder

At the rate these gators show up here there could be a full blown Pizza party. :)
I've tasted gator a couple times at restaurants.  I like grits much better. ;D

Mooseherder

My wife had noticed a small Alligator sunning itself a few days ago on the bank so I reinserted the video card in the game camera that had been by the pond for a couple months.  I had taken the card out last weekend and the only thing on it was birds, a couple of raccoons,  my neighbor and me mowing our yards and a picture of a canal maintenance truck.  No gators on it.
Last night when I got home a small gator was sunning himself and I went down and got a real short video just before he jumped into the pond.
When I got home tonight, the pond was surrounded by people.  My neighbor had called the Acme gator people.  I'll keep their real business name out of it but it did include the word Hook in it.  This was a ragtag couple who apparently had been around my pond all afternoon trying to catch 2 Alligators.  Seems the larger gator moved over from my neighbors after he had harassed it some.  They were trying to catch these gators with hookless bait that was in a ball and tied to the end of a fishing rod.  So much for that hook word associated with their business.  They must have felt uncomfortable at my arrival and left within minutes.  This is the third group my neighbor has called in.  The first guy was successful and left with a gator.  He was a one-armed person by himself.  The second group a few months ago didn't come close either.  My son in law Kevin is a gator catching machine when around with a little help from me.  Fat chance of that happening with Acme around.
I'm hoping they trek back to my neighbors tonight.  The game cam is set up and should trigger if they cross.
This is a real short video of the small gator jumping into the pond last night.
If you blink, you will miss it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GIMeI20lE&feature=player_detailpage

fishpharmer

Gonna start calling you gatorherder. ;)  I caught a glimpse, that is a speedy gator.

Recently watched a minute or two of a show with gator catchers that didn't use hooks, they wrastled them.  Said it was more humane.  He had only been bit a half dozen times or so.  I will get their number for your neighbor next time I see the show :D.

Mooseherder

Kevin usually catches them the same way he catches Bass.  Sets the hook in their tough mouth on a wire leader and drags them to shore.
I forgot to mention my neighbor Wayne saw the larger gator eat a Turkey Vulture yesterday.
Gatorherder----kinda catchy. :)

Al_Smith

Raccoon is a greasey pot licker .You about have to roast it on a rack slow and for a long time .

The gator I've had did not taste any more like chicken than they say turtle neck meat does .It tasted like gator .Kind of fishy in a reptilian sort of way .I'll bet his hide would make nice western style of boots though .

WDH

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 14, 2013, 08:57:14 AM
Kind of fishy in a reptilian sort of way.

Kinda like a few wood customers that have stopped by  :).

Al_Smith

Ah sooo ,snake in the grass  in a fishy type way .

Tell me now why do a majority of people think some things taste like a chicken ? Like a bull frog .A frog tastes like a frog .If it tasted like a chicken it would have feathers .

isawlogs

Al. guess some people just don't eat chicken, and try to dream what chicken should or might taste like.

Marcel

WDH

Maybe Glenn can serve you up some gator when you come to Florida, fresh out of the pond.  Maybe some gator pizza in his new oven  :D.

Mooseherder

If Marcel comes to South Florida I'll cook the man whatever he wants including dat nasty reptile. ;)

isawlogs

Nasty reptile does not make that thing too appealling, well not to my taste buds  :-\  I'd partake to eatin' some real chicken or piggy on the mans outdoor cooker instead. ( taters would be a fine addition ) just saying

Marcel

Mooseherder

I'll cook you something good instead. :)
We can have some po-taters onda side.

Mooseherder

Here's a couple of pictures on the Game cam pointed towards my neighbors pond.
He had hired a trapper to come and get the two that were in his pond.
They got one early and the other later on the same day.

Mooseherder

A raccoon stopped in for a picture back in November.

Mooseherder

We have seen a Gator sunning itself at the neighbor's pond the last few days.
Today was our turn as we had a smaller one show up for Christmas.
It's a lil feller and he wasn't afraid of me.  That tells me he hasn't encountered a human yet.  That's fixin to change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N49AogCp1M&feature=share&list=UUoK01ereAGdikRqDj00MmYA

WDH

How about some pecan smoked gator pizza in that new oven  ???   ;D.

Mooseherder

Thankfully I do have a bunch of pecan scraps leftover from yet another project I have been working on.  It's a wooden Pecan Pail.  At least it started off that way.  My stave bevels should have been a little tighter because it's looking more like a wishing well.  I'm trying to decide what king of handle to put on it.  Square, rounded off on the lathe or just use brown rope.  I'll start a thread on it when complete.  Pecan: The wood that just keeps on giving. :D

DR Buck

I think it's time for this thread to be moved to the food board.   :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Sonofman

Located due west of Due West.

Mooseherder

There's a couple small Gators hanging around again.
I took some video of one yesterday and a bigger one today.
This one is about a 3 footer.  I had it on zoom and got to within 8 feet of him before he went into the water.
The noise in the background is my lathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdP1yGe9HTA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUoK01ereAGdikRqDj00MmYA

isawlogs

I'll take a deer in the garden anytime over your aligator.   :)

Marcel

Ken

Quote from: isawlogs on January 12, 2014, 10:03:33 PM
I'll take a deer in the garden anytime over your aligator.   :)

X2  One more advantage of living in the cold white north
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

Shoot 'im, Elizabeth, shoot 'im!

Mooseherder

Just a matter of time that these critters will come and cross over the border Marcel. :D

isawlogs

They can make it across da border all dey want my friend, as long as they is in a box and froze. You best be close behind to make them edible too.  ;D

Marcel

Mooseherder

WDH

Bring it up to the Sycamore Project, hopefully in late May, and Julio will cook it  :D.

Mooseherder

I would like to make it up to the project but the gator maybe a lil' reluctant. :D

WDH

Sometimes they can be recalcitrant  ;D.

Magicman

That little rascal should be tasty.    ;D

Mooseherder

While I was down cooking the trash can Turkey this afternoon there was a young gator sunning itself.
I got a video but it's of poor quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZ2Y3TXS3g&feature=youtube

Thank You Sponsors!