iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT10 Band Speed

Started by tyb525, August 15, 2009, 09:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I put a "tach" (bicycle speedometer) on the mill today, got it calibrated for 19" wheels, and tried it out. I didn't get to cut with it, but at full throttle it read a steady 47 mph.

I read somewhere that the speed should be around 60 hp?

What are your thoughts and should I try to get the speed up?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

Ty,

You are likely constrained by the hp of your mill.  you may be able to hot rod it a bit, but I'd imagine Woodmizer did a pretty good job of optimizing performance for your mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tyb525

That's what I was afraid of.

Maybe I can squeeze a bigger motor on it :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

that type of thinking leads to a new sawmill, young man!  :-)

I'm not sure of the geometry of the lt-10 design, but most larger engines have a longer distance from the mounting flange to the output shaft, which can impact it's ability to fit.

When I owned my hudson saw (Oscar 28), I looked into getting more than 8hp, but without doing major surgery, I couldn't do it.

Good luck.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ty Ty Ty Whats Going On  :o :)  You aint suffering from MM Syndome are You Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8)  upgrade upgrade upgrade   ;) :D :D  :D :D

By the time you mucked around putting a bigger motor on it would be quicker n easy'r to send marty a pm and ask how much an lt40hd would be i think they are about $20k n trade er in some time in the future mate  ;) see what the deposit is and save towards it working the lt10  ;) ;D

do you have your ticket to drive a car/ute atm ??? you could look at getting into portable  costom sawing (with the lt10 for a start  ;) ) then upgrade  ;D 8) you will be at uni for afew years you could make a resonable living on the w/ends if your organised and charging a resonable rate  ;) Do abit of research in your local area, advertise your services  ,Put together a Business plan and Talk with your Mum & Dad about it  ;) ;D

The trick is to work what you have as far as goes then look at upgrading Mate  ;)

Have a good one

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tyb525

Chris you're right, I suppose an LT10 beats that CSM you used to run anyday, eh? ;) :D

Yes, I have a truck and can drive, I would just need a trailer at least 13' to haul it in. I've thought about that though, maybe later on when I have some saved up.

And yes, I'll be at the university in less than a year, so I can't make a full fledged business yet. Might as well get a real job making some money and do sawing on the side till I can get settled down.

I've seen some used LT40HD's for a little more than 10K, it's tempting ;)

Advertise, Advertise, Advertise is what I need to do.
Those no-shows are frusterating. I've had a couple. One was sure he was coming last Saturday with some white oak logs and would call me before he came. Saturday rolls around, nothing. Still nothing ::) I suppose that's just part of it.

I need all the business I can get right now.

Meadows Miller

Gday Ty

:D :D It Is Mate  ;) but the Csm played its part ive still got it here for doing wide bark to bark slabs  ;)  ;D the L10s about the same size as the little jonsered that replaced the csm but it had a little less hp than yours but did a great job with a 2095 powerhead it had great band speed tho  ;) :D ;D you just had to keep the logs clean and the bands sharp my best day was about 13/1400bft in boards n 2x framing timber but the avv was about the 800 mark if things went well  ;) :D ;D ;D n i got got great production on 8x8s n beams  and large sections like we all do  ;) :D :D ;D 8)

Look at what you have at the moment and make a list of the little things that will make you more productive with the L10 like the trailer a good one will last you a lifetime if you look after it  ;) ;D 8) dad and  ive had a 6x10' all steel tandem axle trailer for years now and it dose a top job and has taken a beating  ;) logs n  the mills ,tractors ,loader frames, and its biggest load was about 7000 lbs of green sawn Ironbark 8x8 posts (because i didnt want to do two trips  ;) )and the things only legle to take about 4000  ;) :D but its a bloody well made trailer because it tows the same if its empty or loaded to the hilt  ;) :D ;D 8)

The no shows and the B.s artists realy tick you off sometimes a phonecall would be nice to let you know whats going on    :o :) :( >:( ::)

with the advertizing a low cost way would be to make up some flyers and put them at things like hardware , farm stores , servos and the type of places where you know the type of ppl who would like to have their own logs milled up would visit  ;) also make yourself up some business cards if theres anything you want to ask me or think i might be able to help with just send me a pm and ill try to help  Mate  ;) ;D

keep it up  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Radar67

How is that box of blades working for you Ty? Mine should be here in a couple of days.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tyb525

I haven't ordered them yet, as I had just ordered a box before we left home :D ::). Jeff and I thought they might've been for Razortips, but I looked at the coupon after the roast and they are for a box of 10 regular blades, which is wonderful 8)

Thank You Sponsors!